Why Is The GOP Against Reauthorizing The VAWA?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dick Tuck, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    What's their excuse now? Do they not believe that domestic violence is a problem that needs to be dealt with? Is this just another part of their war against women? In the past, the VAWA was a law that had bipartisan support. Even with 59 singatories, including Republican Sens. Lisa Murkowski (AK), Olympia Snowe (ME) and Susan Collins (ME), Mark Kirk (IL), Scott Brown (MA) and Mike Crapo (ID), the GOP is blocking the vote for reauthorization.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    What the heck is the VAWA? Define the thing, then we can talk about it

3. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    I'll type it real slow for you. It's the Violence Against Women Act. First passed in 1994, and reauthorized in 2000 and 2005.

4. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Wouldn't violence against women be a local problem better handled at the local and state level? I know it's a strange concept for those who need the federal gubmint to wipe their asses for them, but you really should try it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. GuyPinestra

GuyPinestra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    What does it cost? What does it do? The Title is all well and good, but what's in it?

6. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    Many small communities don't have the resources for shelters for battered women or training of police and parole officers on how best to deal with it. Certainly congress believed it important enough to pass and reauthorize in 1994, 2000, and 2005.

7. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Well, that is a good start.

You might google up a few articles to demonstrate your assertion that there is widespread opposition (there is) which also, interestingly enough, explains the various apples of discord the Democrats have tossed into the bill. Such as giving Indian tribes the right to prosecute non tribal members, granting rights under the act to illegals, and giving protections to Lesbians from acts by their partners.

Usually, when you start a thread like this, you should include enough basic information so that people know what you are going on about, plus a couple quotes from the people involved as to their reasoning.

I found pages of stuff where the issues were discussed. You could have included at least one republican quote from at least one of them.

Rhetorical questions about weird acronyms don't help move the debate forward. In order for there to be a useful discussion, you need facts and clear statements.

The next time you pull a stunt like this, a rhetorical question about an obscure issue with no facts anywhere, it goes to the rubber room.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    S.1925: Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2011 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

9. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    So in order for me to start a thread, I have to educate people who don't know about it? I did my research before I started it. Perhaps you ought to do yours before you opine.

10. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    My concern here is the smooth operation of the board. I am letting you know how to keep your threads out of the rubber room.