Why are you against same-sex marriage?

• For the Bible (or some other holy book) tells me so

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other reason (please state)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I'm not against ss marriage

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters
Same sex marriage is not wrong. Giving it legitimacy and normalization is wrong.

Personally, I don't give a damn if two people of the same sex want to live their lives together for as long as they remain alive. That's their business, not mine.

I am however, interested in how this affects the social construct of our society.

Typically, in the past, the family unit has consisted of one father and one mother in the household when it comes to raising a family (which includes children). For the purpose of this discussion, I am choosing to ignore divorce (single parents) and remarriage (step siblings/step parents).
So, lets take homosexual marriage as a potential family unit. Two women married, or two men married and children in the family. With homosexual marriage, we are now saying that is the equivalent family unit as one mother and one father with children in a family. Please note, I am not saying that a homosexual couple (male or female) is any less capable of raising children than a heterosexual couple, just that homosexual marriage would now make them equal familial units.
If that equivalence is acknowledged, then are we not also expected to remove women from the protected class of being considered a minority? Are we not also expected to remove homosexuals, bisexuals and transgendered people from the protected class of being considered a minority? After all, we have just declared them equal when it comes to the social construct of families. What about registering for the draft, or serving in the military? Should we now require women to register for the draft? And yes, I do know that some homosexuals and some women are already asking for equal treatment in the military, but the draft is forced, not voluntary.

I think that these are blurry line that people need to consider when it comes to homosexual marriage. It is a change to our social construct that can impact our society much more than just the marriage aspect.

Personally, I don't give a damn if two people of the same sex want to live their lives together for as long as they remain alive. That's their business, not mine.

I am however, interested in how this affects the social construct of our society.

Typically, in the past, the family unit has consisted of one father and one mother in the household when it comes to raising a family (which includes children). For the purpose of this discussion, I am choosing to ignore divorce (single parents) and remarriage (step siblings/step parents).
So, lets take homosexual marriage as a potential family unit. Two women married, or two men married and children in the family. With homosexual marriage, we are now saying that is the equivalent family unit as one mother and one father with children in a family. Please note, I am not saying that a homosexual couple (male or female) is any less capable of raising children than a heterosexual couple, just that homosexual marriage would now make them equal familial units.
If that equivalence is acknowledged, then are we not also expected to remove women from the protected class of being considered a minority? Are we not also expected to remove homosexuals, bisexuals and transgendered people from the protected class of being considered a minority? After all, we have just declared them equal when it comes to the social construct of families. What about registering for the draft, or serving in the military? Should we now require women to register for the draft? And yes, I do know that some homosexuals and some women are already asking for equal treatment in the military, but the draft is forced, not voluntary.

I think that these are blurry line that people need to consider when it comes to homosexual marriage. It is a change to our social construct that can impact our society much more than just the marriage aspect.

They remain a minority by the numbers.

Are you saying they should be denied equal rights under the law BECAUSE they are a minority?

I don't really see one having much of anything to do with the other.

They remain a minority by the numbers.
Women are not a minority by the numbers, yet they still hold protected class status.

Are you saying they should be denied equal rights under the law BECAUSE they are a minority?
No. See below.
I don't really see one having much of anything to do with the other.
I do.
I see it as equal treatment (equal to marry) requires the equal treatment in other aspects such as the draft, and removing protected status when it comes to other social issues.
I'm just saying that if we want to change social constructs it has ramifications beyond just the marriage part. Those are things we need to keep in mind.

marriage and love is a great thing. good for all of society.

And can you imagine the businesses that will cater to those weddings? I know I can! :D

sure let's add more money by allowing Brother and sisters who want to get married and Fathers who want to marry their daughters.
Marriage and love is good for society, RIGHT?

marriage and love is a great thing. good for all of society.

And can you imagine the businesses that will cater to those weddings? I know I can! :D

sure let's add more money by allowing Brother and sisters who want to get married and Fathers who want to marry their daughters.

Do you have ADD?

Have you ever noticed you change the subject when you're losing?

Do you have ADD?

Have you ever noticed you change the subject when you're losing?

I believe, with all my heart, in the Constitution, and the history of the United States, thus am in favor of marriage equality.

See poll.

Holy matrimony is between a man and woman.

A civil union (a contract between Two adult people) is just that.

Both parties need to be of age and capable of understanding what's going on.

now for reality;

Liberals will never stop until they can force all churches to perform any kind of wedding.

We know this by looking at the history of anything they have supported.

Forum List

Back