Why Is Ronald Reagan Still Considered A Conservative Hero?

Republicans, Rightwingers, Conservatives, conservatives and Neo-Cons all worship Reagan. Obama knows this and is giving due respect to him publicly to gain more support from them.

Is that about right?
Whatever helps that thrill up your leg, dumbass.

How's it feel knowing your idol admires your worst fucking nightmare?

Most never mention the tax increases of Reagan that happened with the elimination of several personal income tax deductions.
I used to be able to write off gas tax, interest on misc loans, car loans, Income averaging, etc.

Yeah, Congress had nothing to do with it either. ;) :lol:

Beat Russia
Brought down the Berlin wall
Got the hostages back (dirty deeds done to save lives)
Took the Dow, that had never seen 400 to well over 2100
got the unions to help re-elect him

He won in such a large landslide that liberals had to vote for him. Maybe you could ask them why.

I know why.

Because the right is desperate for heros and their standards are so low?

Heck they even pick emo semi sane media whores as heros.

During coverage of President Obama's State of the Union address Tuesday night, all three broadcast networks, CBS, NBC and ABC, managed to compare the tone of the speech to that of Ronald Reagan. Reporters and pundits uniformly praised the supposed optimism of Obama. [Audio available here]

On CBS, Evening News anchor Katie Couric touted how political analyst Jeff Greenfield thought it was "down right Reaganesque" and that "some" have argued "this could be his Reagan moment." Greenfield himself declared: "He kept talking about winning the future and that was always a big theme about Reagan....the constant reiteration of optimism....he was clearly striking rhetorical notes that reminded me of Mr. Reagan."

Read more: Christiane Amanpour | NewsBusters.org

During coverage of President Obama's State of the Union address Tuesday night, all three broadcast networks, CBS, NBC and ABC, managed to compare the tone of the speech to that of Ronald Reagan. Reporters and pundits uniformly praised the supposed optimism of Obama. [Audio available here]

On CBS, Evening News anchor Katie Couric touted how political analyst Jeff Greenfield thought it was "down right Reaganesque" and that "some" have argued "this could be his Reagan moment." Greenfield himself declared: "He kept talking about winning the future and that was always a big theme about Reagan....the constant reiteration of optimism....he was clearly striking rhetorical notes that reminded me of Mr. Reagan."

yes I put anyone who views Obama as a hero in the same category as those who view Reagan as a hero. Desperate for a hero.

yes I put anyone who views Obama as a hero in the same category as those who view Reagan as a hero. Desperate for a hero.

fair enough.

there is one not so subtle difference though, time.

So. what?

Aren't these the same people you call "the lamestream media?"

fair enough.

there is one not so subtle difference though, time.

True, Obama still has time to really become a hero.

Let's not forget that behind every American "Conservative Hero" there is a "Bonzo!"

Last edited by a moderator:

So. what?

no, I have never used that term.

Oh and that , that they used reagan, is exactly the point...hello.

Suggesting increased tax rates were a Reagan implementation is a error of political sophistry, a confluence of world events and economies and public confidence caused a confluence of events which resulted in a time of plenty, the government reaped it's portion of the bountiful harvest, no more no less,,, that was what the Reagan administration campaigned for and what they delivered.
A man is not a hero nor become a demi-god for doing what he says he will do in my opinion, if that fallacy is really true I have lived among gods most of my adult life,,, and never knew it.
Reagan's brilliance was his apparent genuine persona and the ability to inspire, it was sad to see him falter in public in his last days of service when Nancy had to feed him his lines, if anything he was a stout soldier to the end,,, it does not get any better than that.
Most of America wanted to win one for "the gipper"

Last edited:
Five myths about Ronald Reagan's legacy

2. Reagan was a tax-cutter.

Certainly, Reagan's boldest move as president was his 1981 tax cut, a sweeping measure that slashed the marginal rate on the wealthiest Americans from 70 percent to 50 percent. The legislation also included smaller cuts in lower tax brackets, as well as big breaks for corporations and the oil industry. But the following year, as the economy was mired in recession and the federal deficit was spiraling out of control, even groups such as the Business Roundtable lobbied Reagan to raise taxes. And he did: The Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 was, at the time, the largest peacetime tax increase in U.S. history.

Ultimately, Reagan signed measures that increased federal taxes every year of his two-term presidency except the first and the last. These included a higher gasoline levy, a 1986 tax reform deal that included the largest corporate tax increase in American history, and a substantial raise in payroll taxes in 1983 as part of a deal to keep Social Security solvent. While wealthy Americans benefitted from Reagan's tax policies, blue-collar Americans paid a higher percentage of their income in taxes when Reagan left office than when he came in.

4. Reagan shrank the federal government.

Reagan famously declared at his 1981 inauguration that "in the present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." This rhetorical flourish didn't stop the 40th president from increasing the federal government's size by every possible measure during his eight years in office.

Federal spending grew by an average of 2.5 percent a year, adjusted for inflation, while Reagan was president. The national debt exploded, increasing from about $700 billion to nearly $3 trillion. Many experts believe that Reagan's massive deficits not only worsened the recession of the early 1990s but doomed his successor, George H.W. Bush, to a one-term presidency by forcing him to abandon his "no new taxes" pledge.

it always help to look at exactly what those tax acts were instead of throwing around generalizations...have at it;

Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981

he Office of Tax Analysis of the United States Department of the Treasury summarized the tax changes as follows[2]:

* phased-in 23% cut in individual tax rates over 3 years; top rate dropped from 70% to 50%
* accelerated depreciation deductions; replaced depreciation system with ACRS
* indexed individual income tax parameters (beginning in 1985)
* created 10% exclusion on income for two-earner married couples ($3,000 cap)
* phased-in increase in estate tax exemption from $175,625 to $600,000 in 1987
* reduced Windfall Profit taxes
* allowed all working taxpayers to establish IRAs
* expanded provisions for employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs)
* replaced $200 interest exclusion with 15% net interest exclusion ($900 cap) (begin in 1985)

The accelerated depreciation changes were repealed by Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 and the 15% interest exclusion repealed before it took effect by the Deficit Reduction Act of 1984.

As a result of ERTA and other tax acts in the 80s, the top 10% were paying 57.2% of total income taxes by 1988 - up from 48% in 1981[3] - while the bottom 50% of earners share dropped from 7.5% to 5.7% in the same period. The total share borne by middle income earners of the 50th to 95th percentile decreased from 57.5% to 48.7% between 1981 and 1988.[4] Much of the increase can be attributed to the decrease in capital gains taxes, while the ongoing recession and subsequently high unemployment contributed to stagnation among other income groups until the mid-80s.

Critics claim the tax cuts worsened the deficits in the budget of the United States government. Reagan supporters credit them with helping the 1980s economic expansion[6] that eventually lowered the deficits. After peaking in 1986 at $221 billion the deficit fell to $152 billion by 1989.[

^ FY 2011 Budget of the United States Government: Historic Tables. 2010. pp. 21–22. ISBN 9780160847974.

Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

citation 5 here

Effects of the 1981 Tax Act on the Distribution of Income and Taxes Paid

Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982

The Office of Tax Analysis of the United States Department of the Treasury summarized the tax changes as follows[2]:

* repealed scheduled increases in accelerated depreciation deductions
* tightened safe harbor leasing rules
* required taxpayers to reduce basis by 50% of investment tax credit
* instituted 10% withholding on dividends and interest paid to individuals
* tightened completed contract accounting rules
* increased FUTA wage base and tax rate

The Highway Revenue Act of 1982 (P.L. 97-424), January 6, 1983, temporarily increased the United States gasoline excise tax from 4 cents to 9 cents through September 30, 1988.

This act was created during a time of recession, in order to pay for highway improvements.

Deficit Reduction Act of 1984

The Office of Tax Analysis of the United States Department of the Treasury summarized the tax changes as follows:[3]

* repealed scheduled 15% net interest exclusion ($900 cap)
* reduced benefits from income averaging
* reduced tax benefits for property leased by tax exempt entities
* temporarily extended telephone excise tax (through 1987)
* increased depreciation lives for real property from 15 years to 18 years

Deficit Reduction Act of 1984 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tax Reform Act of 1986

The U.S. Congress passed the Tax Reform Act of 1986 (TRA) (Pub.L. 99-514, 100 Stat. 2085, enacted October 22, 1986) to simplify the income tax code, broaden the tax base and eliminate many tax shelters and other preferences. Referred to as the second of the two "Reagan tax cuts" (the Kemp-Roth Tax Cut of 1981 being the first), the bill was also officially sponsored by Democrats, Richard Gephardt of Missouri in the House of Representatives and Bill Bradley of New Jersey in the Senate.

The Tax Reform Act of 1986 was designed to be tax revenue neutral, because individual taxes were decreased while corporate taxes were increased. As of 2011, the Tax Reform Act of 1986 was the most recent major simplification of the tax code, drastically reducing the number of deductions and the number of tax brackets.

Tax Reform Act of 1986 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oh and-

Since 1984 the JEC has provided factual information about the impact of the tax cuts of the 1980s. For example, for many years the JEC has published IRS data on federal tax payments of the top 1 percent, top 5 percent, top 10 percent, and other taxpayers. These data show that after the high marginal tax rates of 1981 were cut, tax payments and the share of the tax burden borne by the top 1 percent climbed sharply. For example, in 1981 the top 1 percent paid 17.6 percent of all personal income taxes, but by 1988 their share had jumped to 27.5 percent, a 10 percentage point increase. The graph below illustrates changes in the tax burden during this period.

fig-1.gif

The share of the income tax burden borne by the top 10 percent of taxpayers increased from 48.0 percent in 1981 to 57.2 percent in 1988. Meanwhile, the share of income taxes paid by the bottom 50 percent of taxpayers dropped from 7.5 percent in 1981 to 5.7 percent in 1988.

A middle class of taxpayers can be defined as those between the 50th percentile and the 95th percentile (those earning between $18,367 and $72,735 in 1988). Between 1981 and 1988, the income tax burden of the middle class declined from 57.5 percent in 1981 to 48.7 percent in 1988. This 8.8 percentage point decline in middle class tax burden is entirely accounted for by the increase borne by the top one percent.

The Reagan Tax Cuts: Lessons for Tax Reform

Last edited:
Five myths about Ronald Reagan's legacy

Federal spending grew by an average of 2.5 percent a year, adjusted for inflation, while Reagan was president. The national debt exploded, increasing from about $700 billion to nearly $3 trillion. n.

more crap, I don't know who peddled this first, Think Progress or wapo, I suspect wapo got it from think progress which says enough about wapo, I expect better from them.....

here ya go...

zFacts-Reagan-Not-Congress.png

exit question boy wonder, who held the house and who took the senate back in 1988?

here, I don't want you to strain yourself-

100th Congress (1987-1989)

Majority Party: Democrat (55 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (45 seats)

Other Parties: 0

Total Seats: 100

Dem. majorities...

99th
(1985-1987)

100th
(1987-1989)

101st
(1989-1991)

Now, please link me to congress's budget bill or other legislation were in they attempted to ether roll back or modify the taxs instituted there in by reagan. go ahead, I'll wait. OR better yet show me where in the years reagan had the senate the house voted down reagans tax bills...

So. what?

So am I to understand that you do not consider ABC, CBS, NBC, NPR the "Liberal Media" or "Left Wing Media?"

Do you accept these media outlets as true, valid and honorable sources of straight news?

So. what?

So am I to understand that you do not consider ABC, CBS, NBC, NPR the "Liberal Media" or "Left Wing Media?"

Do you accept these media outlets as true, valid and honorable sources of straight news?

no you do not understand , you are it appears comprehension challenged.

I SAID, I never used that term.

and no I don't accept your definition.

next......

What definition?

The question is now do you or do you not trust the news media?

That's it.

I don't know what further definitions you're referring to.

What definition?

The question is now do you or do you not trust the news media?

That's it.

I don't know what further definitions you're referring to.

the one you wrote;

fcs......

Forum List

Back