Why Is Rick Wagoner Fired and Nancy Pelosi Still Working?

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2009
Why Is Rick Wagoner Fired and Nancy Pelosi Still Working?
by Ann Coulter

04/01/2009

Apparently, it's OK for Obama to fire the head of General Motors, but Bush can't fire his own U.S. attorneys.

It is generally agreed that the Obama administration's demand that Rick Wagoner resign as chairman of General Motors is the price of GM's accepting government money.

To promote the sales of GM vehicles, Obama says the government will stand by your GM car warranty. And all the taxpayers will get a lube job. The new GM owner's manual will come with a disclaimer: "Close enough for government work."

Now that we're all agreed that the government can make hiring and firing decisions based on infusions of taxpayer money, I can think of a lot more government beneficiaries who are badly in need of firing.

Just off the top of my head, how about Barney Frank, Chris Dodd and everybody at the Department of Education?

How about firing all the former Weathermen, like Bill Ayers, Bernardine Dohrn and Mark Rudd, whose university salaries are subsidized by the taxpayer?

Nearly every university in the country accepts government money. Is there any industry in America more in need of some "restructuring" than academia? What's Berkeley's "business plan" to stop turning out graduates who hate America?

And what is Obama's justification for keeping Shirley M. Tilghman as president of Princeton University as long as Princeton employs prominent crackpot Peter Singer?

Singer, the Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics at Princeton's Center for Human Values, believes parents should have the right to kill newborn babies with birth defects, such as Down syndrome and hemophilia, and says there is nothing morally wrong with parents conceiving children in order to harvest them for spare parts for an older child -- or even for society to breed children on a massive scale for spare parts.

His views on these issues are so extreme I'm surprised Singer hasn't been offered a position in the Obama cabinet yet. Perhaps he paid his taxes and was disqualified.

Singer compares the black liberation movement to the liberation of apes, saying we must "extend to other species the basic principle of equality that most of us recognize should be extended to all members of our own species." (Imagine if Rush Limbaugh had said that and then go lie down for 20 minutes.)

The esteemed professor Singer also believes sex with animals is acceptable and has no objections to necrophilia -- provided the deceased gave consent when still alive. We're still waiting to hear his views on sex with dead animals. Especially me, as I have no plans for next weekend.

Doesn't a "new vision" for Princeton -- which benefits from massive taxpayer subsidies in the form of student loans and government grants -- require firing the president of Princeton? That university is clearly teetering on the brink of moral bankruptcy.

When is the government going to get around to firing 99 percent of public school superintendents? They're clearly turning out an inferior product -- i.e., America's public school graduates -- as compared to some of the foreign models now available.

In New York City, spending on public schools increased by more than 300 percent between 1982 and 2001, coming in at $11,474 per pupil annually -- compared to about $5,000 for private schools.

But in 2003, a New York court ruled that graduates of New York City's public schools did not have the skills to be "capable of voting and serving on a jury." (Worse, some kids coming out of New York high schools are so stupid they don't even know how to get out of jury duty.)

If Obama can tell GM and Chrysler that their participation in NASCAR is an "unnecessary expenditure," isn't having public schools force students to follow Muslim rituals, recite Islamic prayers and plan "jihads" also an "unnecessary expenditure"? Are all those school condom purchases considered "necessary expenditures"?

Illegal aliens cost the American taxpayer more than $10 billion a year, net, in Medicaid, Medicare, food stamps, free school lunches, prison, school and court costs. And yet cities, counties and states across the nation are openly refusing to enforce federal immigration law against illegal aliens -- all while accepting billions of dollars of stimulus money on top of a litany of other federal payouts.

Shouldn't somebody be fired over this? Like maybe Geraldo Rivera?

How about hauling San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom before a congressional committee and firing him? In fact, just being named "Gavin Newsom" should be grounds for dismissal. San Francisco is getting $18 million of stimulus money -- to say nothing of its residents who receive federal money in the form of Social Security payments, government grants, welfare payments, federal highway funds and on and on and on.

Doesn't PBS take federal funds? Obama should really ask Big Bird to step down. While we're at it, shouldn't Tim Geithner be fired?

Now that the government owns everything, there's no end to the dead wood that can be cleared out.

Except the problem is -- as this very partial list demonstrates -- most of the dead wood exists only because of the government in the first place. Capitalism has its own methods of clearing out dead wood, which the government keeps preventing by forcing the taxpayer to bail out capitalism's losers.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Illegal aliens cost the American taxpayer more than $10 billion a year, net, in Medicaid, Medicare, food stamps, free school lunches, prison, school and court costs. And yet cities, counties and states across the nation are openly refusing to enforce federal immigration law against illegal aliens -- all while accepting billions of dollars of stimulus money on top of a litany of other federal payouts.

Shouldn't somebody be fired over this? Like maybe Geraldo Rivera?

No... it should be that bull dyke lesbo Nepolitano and her wet back second in charge mexican.

"We the People" are the board members..I say fire their asses...

maybe we need to pull a Oliver Cromwell and arrest congress :muahaha:

Here is a good article

That's the best way to read the sad but necessary -- in fact, long overdue -- departure of General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner Sunday, at the behest of President Barack Obama's Automotive Task Force. Give the Obama team credit, too, for replacing most of GM's pet-rock board of directors, which put loyalty to Mr. Wagoner above duty to shareholders while the company imploded.

These steps add serious credibility to the task force's effort to force fundamental changes at GM and Chrysler, the two car companies getting federal aid. Chrysler was given 30 days to form an alliance with another car company, most likely Fiat. The task force concluded, correctly, that Chrysler can't survive as an independent company. GM has 60 days to offer a realistic survival plan with new concessions from bondholders and the United Auto Workers union.

Sound familiar? That's basically what the Bush administration told GM last December, before the Bushies bypassed Congress and doled out the first $13 billion. By extending the deadline yesterday, the task force risked coming across like a hapless parent saying to the misbehaving children, "Kids, this time I really mean it." But dumping the board and Mr. Wagoner -- just two weeks after the executive insisted his job was secure -- changes the game, as does the president's blunt talk yesterday. Mr. Obama raised the possibility of "using our bankruptcy code to help them restructure and emerge stronger." ...

The past year has been brutal on all stocks, but even in 2005, when car sales stood at near-record levels, the company lost $10.6 billion and the stock had plunged nearly 75% from when Mr. Wagoner took the helm. GM also suffered a steady slide in its U.S. market share -- from 28% to 22% -- during the Wagoner era.

In 2001, Mr. Wagoner negotiated a European alliance with Fiat (yep, the same company now talking to Chrysler) on terms that could have forced GM to buy the Italian auto maker when Fiat was hemorrhaging money. GM had to pay $2 billion to buy its way out of that dilemma. Then Mr. Wagoner belatedly placed big bets on full-sized SUVs and pickup trucks just as gas prices started to soar and gas-electric hybrids got popular. GM's answer is the Chevy Volt, a more-advanced hybrid that's still two years from launch and will cost around $35,000 when it does appear. ...

But along the way, a couple of crises seemed to dim Mr. Wagoner's ardor for reform.

One occurred in 1998, when GM took on the UAW at a metal-stamping plant in Flint, Mich., where workers had negotiated production quotas that they could fill with just five hours of work, though they were getting paid for a full eight hours. When GM responded by moving some of the metal-stamping machinery elsewhere, workers went on strike, shutting down dozens of other GM factories that depended on the parts made in Flint. When the strike ended 54 days later GM had lost $2.2 billion, as well as any determination to insist on work-rules changes from the union.

Then in December 2000, Mr. Wagoner's first major move as CEO was to announce the closing of Oldsmobile, which had shrunk to a fraction of its former sales. But the up-front announcement -- as opposed to a quiet buyout effort -- enabled dealers to demand top dollar for closing their franchise. It took GM nearly four years, myriad lawsuits and more than $1 billion to shut Oldsmobile down.

After those two episodes, say former General Motors executives, any discussion of further culling GM's lineup of eight different brands or of demanding major improvements in factory productivity became strictly off-limits with Mr. Wagoner. There was a "can't do" mentality that accepted too many brands, too many dealers and too many workers as immutable facts of life that could only be changed slowly and gingerly, if ever. That might have worked had Americans continued buying big pickups and SUVs at a record-setting pace for another decade or two. But that prospect never was realistic, even before car sales collapsed nine months ago. Mr. Wagoner stuck with overly rosy forecasts until the very end. ...

Paul Ingrassia Says Rick Wagoner's Dismissal Was Inevitable - WSJ.com

Wagoner is out because the stock of GM went from $70 to $3 under his leadership.

bullshitsky,, Imelt took GE stock from 70 bucks a share to below ten and obamalama hired him as a financial counselor.. so :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What's Obama's business plan fro GM? 1908 hupmobiles. Or shit loads of those itty bitty soccer balls on wheels that'd get sucked under the wheels of the first 18 wheeler that goes by if some idiot ever trys to take one on the expressway.

Wagoner is out because the stock of GM went from $70 to $3 under his leadership.

You are full of obama. The stock went down because the company was not profitable. GM could not remian profitable while meeting unreasonable government standards for fuel efficiency and meeting the demands of the lazy worthless union members. Wagoner had no control over those factors.

Wagoner is the face of the auto industry failure. He made a fool of himself at the congressional hearings, it was obvious he wasn't about to answer for any mistakes, he didn't feel he did anything wrong.

The market numbers show something different. The buck stops with him.

Pelosi is the Speaker of the House. She is an elected Representative and second in line of succession. If Repubs want to change that, they need to get the majority back first. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

You are full of obama. The stock went down because the company was not profitable. GM could not remian profitable while meeting unreasonable government standards for fuel efficiency and meeting the demands of the lazy worthless union members. Wagoner had no control over those factors.

Most of the production of cars in America by foreign auto companies is profitable.

I didn't know that excuses had become the driving intellectual force of corporate America today. "But, but, but, it's not my fault! Can I have my $20 million in pay now please."

Interesting how you defend failure. I thought it was the conservative way to let those who fail in business to fail, not apologize for them.

Wagoner is the face of the auto industry failure. He made a fool of himself at the congressional hearings, it was obvious he wasn't about to answer for any mistakes, he didn't feel he did anything wrong.

Pelosi is the Speaker of the House. She is an elected Representative and second in line of succession. If Repubs want to change that, they need to get the majority back first. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

What school district or government agency do you work at, you never owned you own business it is obvious

Feel free to not try and Disney up the board, huh? Those of us that can read, can read it just fine in 12 p, black letters. For those that can't, no pitch, fontsize nor color change is going to clue them in.

The UAW is the face of auto industry failure.

A country that allows global, free market competition is the face of auto industry failure.

Don't pay much attention to politics, huh? I see it happening sooner than I ever thought possible even 2 months ago. Let the Dems stay their current course and watch.

If course Nan will keep her job. The kooks that vote for people like her, Reid, Frank, Kennedy and more than a few others don't give a damn about reality. They think Nan's little sitting on a hot coal act when Obama addressed Congress was displaying her physical stamina and support while Biden looked like he wanted to choke her.

As a family that will only buy American cars, let me offer a few odd thoughts on the auto crisis. America cars are in trouble for the same reason American businesses are in trouble - others can do it cheaper and other countries recognize a healthy supported business means work and money for their nation. Americans think theory controls markets and thus business, someone sold the idea, was it Samuelson, that production done cheap helps all. The problem is the world of Adam Smith no longer exists, probably never did. And even Adam Smith is myth for anyone who has read him.

The next thought is quality. For years we built big cars, they made us feel warm and fuzzy and mostly safe. Why, how many of us were conceived in the back seat of a Chevy? The big cars lacked for a while the quality of those who copied us so well. But Americans quickly caught up and our new Buick is number one in quality, But...

Last thought so I don't bore all - UNIONS. Why do Americans hate unions? Who in the hell created this wacky idea and why do so many believe it. I was in a union in my early work days and while they have flaws, the lifestyle they helped create was the best in the world. Have the corporations added to the water 'a hate Unions virus' I sometimes wonder. Third world wages here we come, oh, forgot walmart!

Oh, one last comment, today even a Toyota races in NASCAR. So if you drive a foreign car to a race is that OK. LOL Is America in a modern stage of Roman decline. Who knows.

Buy American - Support Yourself – Political Pass

"What improves the circumstances of the greater part can never be regarded as an inconveniency to the whole. No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable." Adam Smith

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Forum List

Back