Why is professional tennis still sexist?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Why do the women still play best 2 out of 3 in the slams instead of best 3 out of 5 like the mens singles? The implication is that women are not conditioned well enough to handle the extra sets, but that seems awfully sexist to me. In fact, conditioning is not much of a factor in the women's game at all compared to the mens, and I personally think that's a shame.

In this day and age, what possible (valid) justification is there for maintaining this sexist, anachronistic disparity? :dunno:

Why do the women still play best 2 out of 3 in the slams instead of best 3 out of 5 like the mens singles? The implication is that women are not conditioned well enough to handle the extra sets, but that seems awfully sexist to me. In fact, conditioning is not much of a factor in the women's game at all compared to the mens, and I personally think that's a shame.

In this day and age, what possible (valid) justification is there for maintaining this sexist, anachronistic disparity? :dunno:

I wonder....women players tend to serve quite a bit slower, I believe. Maybe they don't get enough aces, their sets tend to last longer as a consequence, so there is worry that best of 5 might take too long? That's about the only thing I can think of.

Are women tennis players complaining about this? Do women golfers complain about using a closer tee?

Are women tennis players complaining about this? Do women golfers complain about using a closer tee?

No, but some of the male players are complaining. Many male tennis players don't agree with the policy of equal prize money at Grand Slams given that women play fewer sets than men.

Players debate equal prize money in tennis - ESPN

No, but some of the male players are complaining. Many male tennis players don't agree with the policy of equal prize money at Grand Slams given that women play fewer sets than men.

Players debate equal prize money in tennis - ESPN

Well considering they get to play a game as a profession, and if good at it, can retire as a millionare at around 35, they can go pound sand.

Sexist views on athletics for women are still in place. It was not so long ago that women were not allowed to participate in marathons because of the fear that their uterus would fall out.

I'm not sure what the basis is for "conditioning is not much of a factor" statement.

Nothing should be done to make tennis harder on anybody - especially women. The injury report in tennis is every bit as significant as the injury report in football. The game takes a toll and in big tournaments we're constantly seeing the best players hobbled or sidelined by illness and injury. If an argument is being made for gender equity, then make men play 3 in the slams.

It's absurd to call tennis sexist. The entire NCAA and nearly all of the olympics has zero inter-gender sport. None. Even though it would be incredibly easy to have a mixed-gender event in most sports, neither governing body seems to want to have anything to do with it.

I get that mixed doubles is a joke, but it's up to the players and the fans to make that determination, not the ATP or WTA. If the best players started focusing on the mixed doubles events then there would be little to stop them from doing so. THere is no option for a mixed-gender swimming or track relay or a mixed gender doubles skiing or diving event.

I've wondered this too.

I have no problem with equal pay for women in any sport, but in tennis it seems odd they get paid more per set than they men do. That doesn't seem any fairer than when men were paid more.

Mani has declared a war on women, where the fuck are the wet dog and Fluke?......:eusa_whistle:

I wonder....women players tend to serve quite a bit slower, I believe. Maybe they don't get enough aces, their sets tend to last longer as a consequence, so there is worry that best of 5 might take too long? That's about the only thing I can think of.

That's actually a very good point, and probably the best argument for the status quo.

I think it's also true that points last longer on average in the women's game. I'd love to see some stats on the average length of a point (number of ball strokes*) comparing the women to the men.

*he he he, I said ball strokes! :D

stamina dumb azz. where have you been? it's not rocket science. Go to long distances runners..leftnut.

Last edited:

stamina dumb azz. where have you been? it's not rocket science. Go to long distances runners..leftnut.

Stamina does not explain it. In shorter races men smoke women completely. In the marathons women are catching up. In the ultra marathons women are equal to men.

There was a woman who competed in the Hard Rock 100. Its a 100 mile run. They give you 48 hours to finish. I cannot remember her last name, but her first name was Emily. She finished 8th out of 500 runners. What is even more remarkable is that she stopped at every aid station to breastfeed her baby.

Women are winning these ultra long distance races.

Liberals can't even watch sports without obsessing about sexism, racism.. You liberals are miserable people.

Forum List

Back