Why is our sun being unactive?

It could become a major problem because less solar output could result in global cooling.

Vostok-ice-core.gif

Tell me folks, considering that trend, do you think that blue line is likely to go up? Or Down?

What would you put you money on?

Last edited:
In recent years, SIM has collected data that suggest the sun’s brightness may vary in entirely unexpected ways. If the SIM’s spectral irradiance measurements are validated and proven accurate over time, then certain parts of Earth’s atmosphere may receive surprisingly large doses of solar radiation even during lulls in solar activity.
SORCE’s Solar Spectral Surprise – UV declined, TSI constant | Watts Up With That?

this is an on going story. as usual we know less than what we thought we did, and more study into natural reasons for climate change are in order.

What makes you think the sun is acting unusually? The recent lack of sunspots?

I hate when irresponsible people put out information out of context. :rolleyes:

Solar activity including sunspots occurs in repetitive and predictable cycles.

NASA/Marshall Solar Physics

Or, for a simpler graphic, try this:

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/images/Zurich_Color_Small.jpg

IOW sunspot activity increases and decreases over time and always has. The fact that the recent low point in that cycle lasted longer than usual is attributed directly to magnetism. Magnetism that is affected by the way the usual convection currents within the sun operate, whether they are moving fast or slow and in what regions.

Magnetic Flows Cause Sunspot Lows, Study Shows - Science News

There are several periods in history where the sun has been observed without sunspots, with the official records going back to 1610. That seems like a long time to us, but in terms of the stellar cycle that runs for billions of years it's not even the blink of an eye. And we're still here, orbiting merrily and keeping watch on old Sol.

No, we don't know everything. About the sun, its cycles or their effects on either space weather or our climate. But consistent correlations between inactive periods and cool periods on Earth aren't there, there are too many terrestrial forces with greater impact in the short term - which is all we've been able to look at. Our records only go back to 1610, after all. What we need is more solar research in general, which is something the big boys at NASA are working on as we speak.

Last edited:
If we knew the location and energy level of every electron in the sun, and if we had a computer that could do the math, we STILL could NOT predict the sun's next move.

Every computation for every electron would be dealing with a RANDOM element that does not compute.

Newtonian physics is a very limited math that is basically worthless for predicting complex systems.

Choas Theory is there informing us that nobody KNOWS nuttin, folks.

Best we can do is make statistical guesses for the next state, and those statistical predictions going to get more and more off every interation of the event.

Last edited:
Less solar activity, a lower TSI, and still the global temperature increases. Hmmm.........

Sure olfraud, tell that to all the people with record snow on the ground! Lets see, Florida, Hawaii, and Australia...in summer all have snow on the ground. You've got Hansen and GISS and their data based on 25% coverage with a whole lot of "extrapolating" going on.

The people are cold too.

It could become a major problem because less solar output could result in global cooling.

Vostok-ice-core.gif

Tell me folks, considering that trend, do you think that blue line is likely to go up? Or Down?

Umm we did not even have people or thermometers 50,000 years ago.
;)

Less solar activity, a lower TSI, and still the global temperature increases. Hmmm.........

Sure olfraud, tell that to all the people with record snow on the ground! Lets see, Florida, Hawaii, and Australia...in summer all have snow on the ground. You've got Hansen and GISS and their data based on 25% coverage with a whole lot of "extrapolating" going on.

The people are cold too.

Remember the key word is Global.
Yep it has been cold enough here in KY so far this fall to freeze the berass tits off of a well digging witch. But remember global.

One thing as well if the solar output is in decline perhaps the CO2 is keeping it warmer than it otherwise would be and when the solar output rises global temperature may really rise!

Vostok-ice-core.gif

;)
Are you one of those religious fuckwads that think people were created by some supernatural God 49,999 year ago?

Vostok-ice-core.gif

;)
Are you one of those religious fuckwads that think people were created by some supernatural God 49,999 year ago?

Not me, I was just being sarcastic.

I bwelieve that the human race is a failed alien HS kids experiment.
Well as much as I believe in an all powerful god that made the universe anyway.

;)

Not me, I was just being sarcastic.

I bwelieve that the human race is a failed alien HS kids experiment.
Well as much as I believe in an all powerful god that made the universe anyway.
Hey, I told that kid not to be messin' around with that biological goo...

It's all his mother's fault.

Vostok-ice-core.gif

Considering that it has plateued for far longer than in previous periods, don't you think that there may be something going on? Not only that, but we have added 40% more CO2, and over 150% more CH4 in about 160 years. Both the atmosphere and the ocean have measureable increases in temperature.

From just anthropogenic emissions, before this century is out, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere will double. Given the release of CH4 from the Arctic Ocean clathrates, and CO2 and CH4 from the permafrost, it will likely be far more than that.

Vostok-ice-core.gif

Considering that it has plateued for far longer than in previous periods, don't you think that there may be something going on? Not only that, but we have added 40% more CO2, and over 150% more CH4 in about 160 years. Both the atmosphere and the ocean have measureable increases in temperature.

From just anthropogenic emissions, before this century is out, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere will double. Given the release of CH4 from the Arctic Ocean clathrates, and CO2 and CH4 from the permafrost, it will likely be far more than that.
It is statements like that that ruin your credibility on the issue.

First of all, you do not know that annthropogenic CO2 emissions will double. And more importantly, the sound science indicates that it would be a good thing for mankind if it did.

Now Muhammed, would you care to show us some real scientists that are stating that? Everything that I read from scientists states just the opposite.

Vostok-ice-core.gif

commacomma down doobie doo down down.

Forum List

Back