Why is Obama administration suing Arizona sheriff?

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
Why is Obama administration suing an outspoken Arizona sheriff?
:cuckoo:
Some blame 287(g) for giving Arpaio and other local law enforcement agencies across the country the authority to go after illegal immigrants. The program, part of the Immigration and Nationality Act created in 1996, emerged from obscurity after the 9/11 attacks and later morphed into federal-local immigration enforcement whose goals prioritized the arrest and deportation of illegal immigrants charged with crimes.

More than 70 local law enforcement agencies in 26 states are part of 287(g), which has recorded about 118,500 deportations, according to Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Since 2007, 287(g) has allowed the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office to help identify and oust more than 26,000 people living in the United States illegally – the highest tally in the country. Second to Maricopa, Los Angeles County helped deport nearly 14,000 illegal immigrants.

Joe Arpaio: Why is Obama administration suing an outspoken Arizona sheriff? - Yahoo! News

Last edited:
Plain and simple

because he is effective!

I hope Obama and all his ilk rot in Hell for it too

Thats right... I said it!

Because the American people are finally really pushing to get something done about illegal aliens that are destroying America.

And clearly the "American government" feels differently.

Because the American people are finally really pushing to get something done about illegal aliens that are destroying America.

And clearly the "American government" feels differently.

The reality is nothing is being done. Border security is just a sham. 30 national guards in Arizona? Ice is releasing all those Arpaio is turning over to them. The economy did more than Obama did and ICE did. They are leaveing and they are not coming as the rate they once did because of the economy, not border security.
Only thing the 30 NG can do is when the see an illegal aliens they notify border agents. What the hell is that?:eusa_hand:

Americans should be PO because Obama thinks they are stupid.

Last edited:
LilOlLady, the DOJ is suing the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office because they are withholding documents that have been requested, especially arrest reports, and because Sheriff's Office employees have been instructed not to speak with the DOJ without a lawyer present.

Right, wrong or indifferent, IMO the DOJ is 100% correct. The documents they want are in the public's view...by what right can they be withheld from anyone requesting them, nevermind the DOJ? As for telling every employee they are "represented by counsel" to quell speech, that blows too.

I'm not happy about the litigation, but I still think DOJ will win. We do not have secret county police in this country; in the normal course, only certain investigative and personnel files should be withheld from view.

Why is Obama administration suing an outspoken Arizona sheriff?
:cuckoo:
Some blame 287(g) for giving Arpaio and other local law enforcement agencies across the country the authority to go after illegal immigrants. The program, part of the Immigration and Nationality Act created in 1996, emerged from obscurity after the 9/11 attacks and later morphed into federal-local immigration enforcement whose goals prioritized the arrest and deportation of illegal immigrants charged with crimes.

More than 70 local law enforcement agencies in 26 states are part of 287(g), which has recorded about 118,500 deportations, according to Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Since 2007, 287(g) has allowed the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office to help identify and oust more than 26,000 people living in the United States illegally – the highest tally in the country. Second to Maricopa, Los Angeles County helped deport nearly 14,000 illegal immigrants.

Joe Arpaio: Why is Obama administration suing an outspoken Arizona sheriff? - Yahoo! News
All your rhetoric might be interesting, but the answer to the question is he is refusing to cooperate with a federal investigation into allegations of discrimination and illegal searches and seizures by the department. He's lucky he wasn't arrested.

This reminds me of the Gestapo methods.

Really? What does the Sheriff do that the Gestapo did? Exactly?

I am sorry I did not make myself clearer. I was referring to Obama as the Gestapo.:confused:

Oh gotcha.

I think it more in line with what you see out of hard leftists like Chavez. He creates an illusion of doing something (sending the NG to the border). Then, at the same time, undermines all real efforts to accomplish the goal. (Suing the sheriff, suing AZ and as a final method to undermine everything, have ICE refuse to deport anyone except the most egregious felons.)

This is standard "Social Democracy" activity. The thing to understand is that Social Democrats are really the same as Marxists. (Make no mistake, our Democrats are "Social Democrats"). They just don't have the power to act completely like Marxists. But their goal are the same.

LilOlLady, the DOJ is suing the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office because they are withholding documents that have been requested, especially arrest reports, and because Sheriff's Office employees have been instructed not to speak with the DOJ without a lawyer present.

Right, wrong or indifferent, IMO the DOJ is 100% correct. The documents they want are in the public's view...by what right can they be withheld from anyone requesting them, nevermind the DOJ? As for telling every employee they are "represented by counsel" to quell speech, that blows too.

I'm not happy about the litigation, but I still think DOJ will win. We do not have secret county police in this country; in the normal course, only certain investigative and personnel files should be withheld from view.

What you are suggesting is there are two levels of government in a pissing match with each other. Which one of them is actually trying to uphold the law?

It sounds to me like the DOJ is trying to intimidate someone into stopping enforcemnent of the law to the detriment of the people he is sworn to defend. Why is this legitimate of the DOJ? Why should they win in this effort?

I have to admit, the DOJ seems to me to be abusive. There's "prosecutorial discretion"and then there's "abuse of process". If they aren't over the line by now, they are sure as hell near it.

And it pisses me off that I am sitting in Cuyahoga County, where every pol and county contractor is apparently a criminal, but we cannot get these kinds of resources from the feds. Fuck Cleveland (and Chicago, New Orleans, Seattle, etc.). The rights of citizens mean nothing when an illegal alien may have been racially profiled in Arizona.

Is that why W coddled them?

Face it Frank...pols on both sides of the aisle have been fucking us over for decades on immigration.

Very true. Although, W isn't the "conservative" that the press like to tell us he was. It suits their agenda to convince us of that though.

There are many in the Republican party (the Rockefeller Republicans, lately referred to as RINOs) that believe cheap labor for big business is a good thing. They're wrong. They also believe in the Democrat model of electioneering, "people only vote for you if you give them something." Real Republicans know that people vote for you because they believe in the same belief system and they don't need a payoff.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back