Why is Muslim call to prayer allowed?

Wolfe

Feb 4, 2004
Quebec, Canada
Does anyone else find it disgusting that the city council of Hammtramck allowed these Muslims to broadcast the call to prayer? What is happening to the United States?

Wolfe said:
Does anyone else find it disgusting that the city council of Hammtramck allowed these Muslims to broadcast the call to prayer? What is happening to the United States?
I've never heard of that city and I've never heard of this incident. What, pray tell, is a call to prayer and how was it broadcast? By whom?

Its a city in Michigan and a call to prayer is broadcast by loudpseaker from the Mosque 5-6 times a day starting at daybreak.

Hello, Wolfe, and welcome to the board!

Although I'm not familiar with the specifics of your story, it raises an interesting point. We have absolute freedom of religion in this country - provided it's the RIGHT religion. That religion is known as NC.

NC has carte blanche in this country. You can practice it out in the open, at the top of your lungs, in any situation that pleases you. You can force it into the curriculum of any school you wish, and, and, if the parents don't like it, you can tell them to kiss your ass. And, if anybody cries "foul", you can denounce them as a freedom-hating zealot, and they are powerless to argue.

NC, of course, means, "Not Christian".

Wolfe said:
Its a city in Michigan and a call to prayer is broadcast by loudpseaker from the Mosque 5-6 times a day starting at daybreak.
I would imagine this is allowed just as catholic churches are allowed to ring their bells before, during and after services and other times.

What's the difference?

The ACLU doesn't care about mulims any more than the rest of the people they "defend". They merely want to drown out the conservative cause any way they can.

Moi said:
I would imagine this is allowed just as catholic churches are allowed to ring their bells before, during and after services and other times.

What's the difference?

That's what I was thinking.

This was mentioned before but i believe it was washington that was debating whether to allow it. You say, wolfe, that this town in michigan has already allowed it?

That is horrible. This is why. their debate was that church bells signify catholicisim. They don't they signify bells. They only have meaning if you are a catholic. It doesn infringe on anyone's Freedom of religion. A call to prayer is identifiable as a muslim call to prayer. Even if you are not a muslim, you know that it isnt some random sound.

Freedom of Religion means that no religions shall be given greater precedence over another. Therefore to be equal, Catholics would be allowed to blast the Nicene Creed 5 times a day over a loud speaker. I don't want to hear either. Its an infringement on a person's individual beliefs. Not everyone is muslim. Not everyone is catholic. No one should be subjected to anothers beliefs. That is freedom of religion.

I think before we consider banning church bells or a Muslim call to prayer, we need to tackle more important issues such as banning Anna Nicole Smith's voice and the singing of Ashley Simpson(if you don't know who she is, consider yourself blessed.)

insein said:
This was mentioned before but i believe it was washington that was debating whether to allow it. You say, wolfe, that this town in michigan has already allowed it?

That is horrible. This is why. their debate was that church bells signify catholicisim. They don't they signify bells. They only have meaning if you are a catholic. It doesn infringe on anyone's Freedom of religion. A call to prayer is identifiable as a muslim call to prayer. Even if you are not a muslim, you know that it isnt some random sound.

Freedom of Religion means that no religions shall be given greater precedence over another. Therefore to be equal, Catholics would be allowed to blast the Nicene Creed 5 times a day over a loud speaker. I don't want to hear either. Its an infringement on a person's individual beliefs. Not everyone is muslim. Not everyone is catholic. No one should be subjected to anothers beliefs. That is freedom of religion.

Well said ! :clap:

nycflasher said:
I think before we consider banning church bells or a Muslim call to prayer, we need to tackle more important issues such as banning Anna Nicole Smith's voice and the singing of Ashley Simpson(if you don't know who she is, consider yourself blessed.)

Ashley's pretty cute. Thankfully ive never heard her sing.

insein said:

I don't think anyone said that bells signify catholicism and ringing bells, which I hear numerous times per day do signify something...they signify certain parts of a religous ceremony. The reason the bells are allowed to toll is because they signify, to catholics, that certain masses and ceremonies are occuring.

How does that differ from a mosque signifying, via public address, when their masses are occuring. They aren't broadcasting the actual prayers (are they?).

Furthermore, during the funerals after 9/11...some thousand in number...the bells rang every hour. The streets were closed. The sidewalk on my property was blocked. Parades of catholics went down 5th Avenue playing music, loudly, bearing their religious symbols for all to see, as well as sirens blaring. All to profess the catholic service and funeral rights.

I certainly don't begrudge them their due...why would I so for a muslim?

Moi said:
I don't think anyone said that bells signify catholicism and ringing bells, which I hear numerous times per day do signify something...they signify certain parts of a religous ceremony. The reason the bells are allowed to toll is because they signify, to catholics, that certain masses and ceremonies are occuring.

How does that differ from a mosque signifying, via public address, when their masses are occuring. They aren't broadcasting the actual prayers (are they?).

Furthermore, during the funerals after 9/11...some thousand in number...the bells rang every hour. The streets were closed. The sidewalk on my property was blocked. Parades of catholics went down 5th Avenue playing music, loudly, bearing their religious symbols for all to see, as well as sirens blaring. All to profess the catholic service and funeral rights.

I certainly don't begrudge them their due...why would I so for a muslim?

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0430/p01s03-ussc.html

In Al-Islah's foyer, flyers explain the calls to non-Muslims. They'll sound five times a day - at sunrise, noon, mid-afternoon, sunset, and nightfall - last a little over a minute, and include proclamations that translate as "Allah is the greatest," "Mohammed is the messenger of Allah," "Come to prayer," and "Come to success." They are meant only for Muslims, says Mr. Khan. "We are not preaching."

You tell me if thats the same as church bells.

insein said:
Ashley's pretty cute. Thankfully ive never heard her sing.

No, Jessica is pretty cute.
The one or two times I have seen Ashley sing I was flipping by MTV and heard the sound of dying pigeons having sex in a subway car. But no-- it was Ashley practicing her latest ballad, while cursing the lyrics the whole time as if it was the song's fault.

Folks, this girl has her own show. Not that we should be the least bit surprised given TV's latest offerings, from The Bachelor to The Anna Nicole Smith Show.

nycflasher said:
No, Jessica is pretty cute.
The one or two times I have seen Ashley sing I was flipping by MTV and heard the sound of dying pigeons having sex in a subway car. But no-- it was Ashley practicing her latest ballad, while cursing the lyrics the whole time as if it was the song's fault.

Folks, this girl has her own show. Not that we should be the least bit surprised given TV's latest offerings, from The Bachelor to The Anna Nicole Smith Show.

No jessica is hot. Ashley is cute.

In Al-Islah's foyer, flyers explain the calls to non-Muslims. They'll sound five times a day - at sunrise, noon, mid-afternoon, sunset, and nightfall - last a little over a minute, and include proclamations that translate as "Allah is the greatest," "Mohammed is the messenger of Allah," "Come to prayer," and "Come to success." They are meant only for Muslims, says Mr. Khan. "We are not preaching."

Didn't we once call stuff like that subliminal messages and a form of brainwashing?

They will argue that, it being in Arabic, the masses cannot understand. Yet, I am sure they will me mindful of ensuring that they let the masses know through the media, etc. exactly what that "Arabic message that non-Muslims (or non-Arabic speaking people) can understand" says. Therefore, subliminally, people "will" understand the broadcasts.

I guess the Catholic Church should start broadcasting "Jesus is the Greatest", "Mary is his mother", "Repent your sins" and the all time evangelical Christian's favorite, "Come to Jesus!".

freeandfun1 said:
Didn't we once call stuff like that subliminal messages and a form of brainwashing?

They will argue that, it being in Arabic, the masses cannot understand. Yet, I am sure they will me mindful of ensuring that they let the masses know through the media, etc. exactly what that "Arabic message that non-Muslims (or non-Arabic speaking people) can understand" says. Therefore, subliminally, people "will" understand the broadcasts.

I guess the Catholic Church should start broadcasting "Jesus is the Greatest", "Mary is his mother", "Repent your sins" and the all time evangelical Christian's favorite, "Come to Jesus!".

That would be equal. Then we need to do the same for Hinduism, Judaism, and al lthe other isms out there. You can not favor one over the other.

The fundamental differences between these religions are the underlying problem.

Catholic churches use bells to "call" people to church.
Islamic mosques use this "prayer call."

I don't attend either. I also don't really mind either call, particularly.

Both could be seen as noise pollution, something I am very familiar with having spent extensive time hiking deep into the unpopulated(by humans) forests of Maine, Minnesota and the Southwest. I come back from one of those trips, hear a car horn and I want to yell at someone.

ANyways, Arabic is a neat sounding language so I guess that's why I don't really mind the prayer calls.

If they're going to allow Church bells and the Islamic call to prayer, however, they need to allow me to awake my neighborhood with my own call to worship:

You lazy shits,
Get out of bed.
Someone make me breakfast,
Someone give me head. ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

What's next, though?
Is Dunkin' Donuts going to start calling over their external loudspeaker every 18 minutes when a fresh pot of coffee is brewed? (That's the secret to their fresh, good tasting coffee by the way.)

Is this a noise pollution issue as much as a religious one?

Forum List

Back