Why is it that we still don't know who nominated Him?

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
Here are those eligible to nominate for a Peace Prize:

Who may submit nominations?

Each year between 150 and 200 different nominations are received of candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize. The number has risen steadily as the Prize has become increasingly globalized. There may occasionally be several thousand nominators behind one and the same nominee.

Who, then, may nominate candidates for the Peace Prize?

According to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, a nomination is considered valid if it is submitted by a person who falls within one of the following categories:
#

Members of national assemblies and governments, and members of the Inter-Parliamentary Union
#

Members of the Permanent Court of Arbitration at the Hague and of the International Court of Justice at the Hague
#

Members of Institut de Droit International
#

University professors of history, political science, philosophy, law and theology, and university presidents and directors of peace research institutes and institutes of international affairs
#

Former Nobel Peace Prize Laureates and board members of institutions that have previously been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
#

Present and past members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee
#

Former permanent advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Institute

ON

The Nobel Committee makes its selection on the basis of nominations received or postmarked no later than February 1 of the year in question. Nominations which do not meet the deadline are nor***ly included in the following year's assessment. Members of the Nobel Committee are entitled to submit their own nominations as late as at the first meeting of the Committee after the expiry of the deadline.

The Committee does not itself announce the names of nominees. In so far as certain names crop up in the advance speculations as to who will receive the year's Prize, this is either sheer guesswork or information put out by the person or persons behind the nomination. Information in the Nobel Committee's nominations data base is not made public until after fifty years.​
Who may submit nominations? | Nobels fredspris

Who nominated Obama? I don't recall ever immediately not knowing the names of who nominated others.

Could be.

It's very, very odd that the name of who made the nomination is still not known.
I'm betting it was made after the deadline for nominating...like 12 days after Obama was installed as our chief peacemaker.

I'm betting the award is nothing more that political elbow rubbing. Maybe Arafat wanted a peer on the list of recipients.

Could be.

It's very, very odd that the name of who made the nomination is still not known.
I'm betting it was made after the deadline for nominating...like 12 days after Obama was installed as our chief peacemaker.

I'm betting the award is nothing more that political elbow rubbing. Maybe Arafat wanted a peer on the list of recipients.
See, the deadline for the nomination is February 1st. Many are assuming that the nomination was on the deadline.

That is not necessarily so. It could have come in even before that, even before those monumental first twelve days.

So, we still don't know the name behind the nomination nor do we even know the date of it. This lack of such knowledge is unprecedented, IIRC. For all other Nobel prizes, there is transparency.

Last edited:

The Committee does not itself announce the names of nominees. In so far as certain names crop up in the advance speculations as to who will receive the year's Prize, this is either sheer guesswork or information put out by the person or persons behind the nomination. Information in the Nobel Committee's nominations data base is not made public until after fifty years.[/indent]Who may submit nominations? | Nobels fredspris

Could be.

not really..........

Has X been nominated as a candidate for the Nobel Prize?
Information about the nominations, investigations, and opinions concerning the award is kept secret for fifty years.
Nomination Facts
Thank you, Cap'n Obvious. Read that specific portion of my OP above.

We know the names of other nominators, for example.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Greg Mortenson, one of the world's great humanitarians, was today nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, in a bipartisan, bicameral effort led by Members of Congress. Mortenson, co-founder of the Central Asia Institute and Pennies for Peace, and co-author of the best selling non-fiction, Three Cups of Tea, continues to impress the global community with his unwavering dedication to advancing children's education and promoting peace in some of the world's most volatile regions. Bono Mack drafted the letter to the Norwegian Nobel Committee, nominating Mortenson for the prestigious award, and sought support from other Members of Congress.
California Chronicle | GREG MORTENSON NOMINATED FOR NOBEL PEACE PRIZE

Yet, we do not know the name of who nominated Obama. I have to wonder why there is no transparency. Is the one who nominated afraid to immediately acknowledge it? Why the lack of transparency?

Hell, we even knew the name of the person who nominated Gore last year.

Last edited:
This year, the name of the U.S. president has been put forward by unidentified nominators.

The Norwegian awards committee's spokesman Geir Lundestad says getting nominated is easy. Thousands of people, ranging from past Nobel peace laureates to many college professors, have nomination rights.
President Obama May Be Nominated for Nobel Prize

This was in Feb.

Would you guys stop your whining, be happy your president won. I read someone say that this was a reward to America too for finally we have elected a decent good person. The world has changed since Reagan began the slide to militant idiocy. Time for you tools to grow up.

Paul's take on you.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/opinion/05krugman.html
If the prize meant something at this point, I would be happy. It doesn't.

For those who can focus on a question, still I'm wondering who made the nomination and why they have issues with the public knowing this.

Could be.

See, the deadline for the nomination is February 1st. Many are assuming that the nomination was on the deadline.

That is not necessarily so. It could have come in even before that, even before those monumental first twelve days.

So, we still don't know the name behind the nomination nor do we even know the date of it. This lack of such knowledge is unprecedented, IIRC. For all other Nobel prizes, there is transparency.

There's never much of a paper trail when it comes to Obama . . .

There's never much of a paper trail when it comes to Obama . . .
;) Smart lady.

Too true and this is yet another BLATANT example of that.

Rarely has an award had such an obvious political and partisan intent. It was clearly seen by the Norwegian Nobel committee as a way of expressing European gratitude for an end to the Bush Administration, approval for the election of America's first black president and hope that Washington will honour its promise to re-engage with the world.

Instead, the prize risks looking preposterous in its claims, patronising in its intentions and demeaning in its attempt to build up a man who has barely begun his period in office, let alone achieved any tangible outcome for peace.
London Times

Indeed, the reasoning behind the awarding of the prize to previous American presidents has been easier to discern. Teddy Roosevelt opened the court of arbitration in the Hague and helped mediate a peace treaty between Russia and Japan; Woodrow Wilson was the founder of the League of Nations. Jimmy Carter won his prize for his "untiring efforts to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts".

Which is what makes the awarding of this year's prize to a president who has been in office for a mere nine months an odd departure. It is as if the prize committee had been persuaded to give the award on the future delivery of promises.
The Guardian

The Nobel Peace Prize has come too early for Barack Obama. The US president cannot point to any real diplomatic successes to date and there are few prospects of any to come.

Der Spiegel

The simple explanation for the Committee's decision to cite Mr. Obama at this stage of his presidency is that he is not George W. Bush.

The more generous interpretation is that the decision is hortatory; that is, it is designed to encourage the President to follow a path in U.S. foreign policy that is preferred by Committee members.

The Globe

I find it interesting that people claim that somehow only republicans are calling this selection into question, when most are just pointing out that the President has not accomplished anything to merit the prize and are not pointing to him personally. Even some at the Daily Kos, the Huffington Post are saying the same and those are hardly what one could call centers of republican propaganda.

Rarely has an award had such an obvious political and partisan intent. It was clearly seen by the Norwegian Nobel committee as a way of expressing European gratitude for an end to the Bush Administration, approval for the election of America's first black president and hope that Washington will honour its promise to re-engage with the world.

Instead, the prize risks looking preposterous in its claims, patronising in its intentions and demeaning in its attempt to build up a man who has barely begun his period in office, let alone achieved any tangible outcome for peace.
London Times

Indeed, the reasoning behind the awarding of the prize to previous American presidents has been easier to discern. Teddy Roosevelt opened the court of arbitration in the Hague and helped mediate a peace treaty between Russia and Japan; Woodrow Wilson was the founder of the League of Nations. Jimmy Carter won his prize for his "untiring efforts to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts".

Which is what makes the awarding of this year's prize to a president who has been in office for a mere nine months an odd departure. It is as if the prize committee had been persuaded to give the award on the future delivery of promises.
The Guardian

The Nobel Peace Prize has come too early for Barack Obama. The US president cannot point to any real diplomatic successes to date and there are few prospects of any to come.

Der Spiegel

The simple explanation for the Committee's decision to cite Mr. Obama at this stage of his presidency is that he is not George W. Bush.

The more generous interpretation is that the decision is hortatory; that is, it is designed to encourage the President to follow a path in U.S. foreign policy that is preferred by Committee members.

The Globe

I find it interesting that people claim that somehow only republicans are calling this selection into question, when most are just pointing out that the President has not accomplished anything to merit the prize and are not pointing to him personally. Even some at the Daily Kos, the Huffington Post are saying the same and those are hardly what one could call centers of republican propaganda.

Wait for it ... Der Speigel and The Globe are racist?

London Times

The Guardian

Der Spiegel

The Globe

Wait for it ... Der Speigel and The Globe are racist?

While the decision won praise from statesmen like Nelson Mandela and Mikhail Gorbachev, both former Nobel laureates, it was also attacked in some quarters as hasty and undeserved.

The Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip and opposes a peace treaty with Israel, said the award was premature at best.

"Obama has a long way to go still and lots of work to do before he can deserve a reward," said Hamas official Sami Abu Zuhri. "Obama only made promises and did not contribute any substance to world peace. And he has not done anything to ensure justice for the sake of Arab and Muslim causes."
Haaretz

The awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to U.S. President Barack Obama was praised in many parts of the world, but in others there were stunned reactions, referring to Obama's lack of tangible achievements on the world scene.
El Universal

A surprised world has greeted the award of the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama, the US president, with a mixture of praise and skepticism.

In Afghanistan, the Taliban mocked the award, saying it was absurd to give it to Obama when he had ordered 21,000 extra troops to Afghanistan this year.

"The Nobel prize for peace? Obama should have won the 'Nobel prize for escalating violence and killing civilians'," Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, told the Reuters news agency.
Al-Jazeera

Obama is being given his award for mere words -- for striking fashionable poses in favour of multilateralism, for making a nice speech in Cairo, for offering "hope." Months after Americans learned to dismiss Obama's 2008 presidential campaign slogans as the meaningless bromides they were, Scandinavians are still drinking his Kool-aid.
National Post

I suppose Si that calling into question the premature award may result in that from some circles these days. However, it does not change the fact that this President has zero accomplishments to point to in order to merit the prize and to point to this as being only republican critics seems to be somewhat off base don't you think?

Though i love obama, though i very badly wanted obama to win the US election, though i think the first lady and Mr.President are all capable and qualified to be the president of USA,though i believe obama will definitely bring the change he proposed to bring...

I DONT THINK HE HAS DONE ENOUGH TO QUALIFY FOR NOBEL PEACE PRIZE....

PEACE???

Thousands are getting killed in Iraq AND IF NOT MORE THAN HUSSEIN ATLEAST AS EQUAL REASON FOR THE SAME IS AMERICA.
Daily KOS

So should the republican party expect a donation from the Daily Kos or will they now be called disloyal for simply pointing out that this decision was more a rebuke or George Bush which I happen to agree with and not one thing to do with President Obama's accomplishments.

He won the award. He didn't apply for it. It isn't the GOP's award to give.

The sour grapes republicans can go suck an egg. Oh wait.....they're already sucking eggs.

Forum List

Back