Why is it that republicans fail to realize that the ONLY way to boost wages for the poor...

Yes, Bear513, I am aware that serving 20 years in the military entitles me to retirement benefits.

Why else do you think that I have not worked for the past 10 years?

I finally figured out how to live on the same kind of money that those who earn minimum wage do.

And yes...............I have internet, cable, and enough food to eat, as well as have enough to go on a vacation a couple of times a year.

However................I still think the minimum wage should be at least 10.50/hr.

Why is it that republicans fail to realize that the ONLY way to boost wages for the poor...

?

Why is it that parasitic fascists fail to realize that the ONLY way to boost wages for the poor is a healthy Capitalistic socieconomic system.
Um how exactly are we supposed to boost wages then? Corporate profits are at an all time high and the 1% are holding most of it,

How many of these threads is this guy allowed to start.

Don't the board mods concern themselves with bandwidth ?

?

Why is it that parasitic fascists fail to realize that the ONLY way to boost wages for the poor is a healthy Capitalistic socieconomic system.
Um how exactly are we supposed to boost wages then? Corporate profits are at an all time high and the 1% are holding most of it,

Thank both parties for that.

Why are you so insistant on the idea that democrats somehow give a flying crap about the poor ?

Actually, I don't really think that the Democrats or the Republicans care about the poor and those trying to better themselves.

Independents (like Bernie Sanders) do.

I like fiscal conservatism in my government, and I like responsible spending.

I also support the legalization of cannabis and I also support gay marriage.

Bernie Sanders supports both of those views.

Which is why I am an Independent, and also why I support Bernie Sanders.

?

Why are you so insistant on the idea that democrats somehow give a flying crap about the poor ?
I would agree democrats are ultimately self-interested politicians, but what separates them from republicans is that they actually push policies that benefit the poor. There is no denying this fact.

?

I would agree democrats are ultimately self-interested politicians, but what separates them from republicans is that they actually push policies that benefit the poor. There is no denying this fact.
how does immigration IE....competition for jobs help the poor again?

The ways to level the playing field between the very rich and the very poor is fairly simple.

1) Stop buying anything from corporate superstores and Apple. They can't hoard billions of dollars if we stop giving them our money.
2) Minimum wage workers need to strike and DEMAND corporate businesses pay them more. You can't punish mid-sized and small businesses by mandating what they pay employees, let the market establish wages.
3) Get off your lazy ass and become a mentor for poor teenagers. Whether it's CASA or Big Brothers Big Sisters, volunteering your time to at risk youth helps break the cycle of poverty.
4) Reform Welfare - California and Florida are the worst when it comes to their Welfare recipients. New Jersey has a great job placement program that gets welfare recipients into job training programs and then assists them in finding a new job. You can't just hand people enough money to have the same standard of living as a family that brings in 65k per year, of COURSE they will stay on welfare as long as they can.
5) Education! There are apprenticeship programs in Alaska that can't even find enough candidates. There are other states with carpentry, welding, IT and more that pay while you train and have decent entry level salaries. There are not lines out the door for these opportunities - people simply aren't taking advantage of them.
6) Entrepreneurship is the key to making real money. Whether that's through network marketing, having your own store, petsitting, or working 3 part time jobs - the traditional work situation is in flux. People need to stop the "woe is me, I make no money" bullshit, become ambitious and make it happen for themselves. I have a side consulting business, a part time telecommuting job and I'm working on an ecommerce store - yeah, my life is really busy and sometimes overwhelming, but I make decent money and will make WAY more over the next 2 years. If people want to make more, they need to be in business for themselves.

?
Wages are based on supply and demand.
It's up to you, and no one but you. to have a supply of something that is in demand.
If you do not, then your low wages are -your- fault.

?

Only in your dreams.

"Benefit" as near as I can tell, means different things to different people.

While I agree with many of our social safety nets, it is only because they work well on a short term basis.

Democarts have benefitted many of the poor by enslaving them.

While I appreciate your desire to raise the minimum wage as a way of helping the poor, I don't agree that it will do that.

Actually, raising the minimum wage not only will help those in minimum wage jobs, but it would also help the economy greatly.

Why? Simple..............if you're poor or middle class and suddenly have more money to spend, you spend more.

And.................there are a lot more minimum wage workers than there are CEO's.

...is to the raise the minumum wage? You people whine about the poor on welfare yet you are too dense to realize that the only way to break the cycle of poverty is to force employers to pay more. IF the minumum wage is raised, far less peeople are eligible for programs like food stamps. Problem solved.

This really isn't hard to figure out. Corporate profits are already at an all time high. The wage gap in this country is staggering. Where is the incentive for these "job creators" to choose to raise wages on their own accord? Why invest in a strong labor force when it is just easier for them to keep the ridiculous amount of money they already earn? The US has the widest income inequality gap in the world. Pathetically, you people call what I am saying "envy" and it's so moronic. This is an economic issue that will eventually affect the entire economy. If the poverty in this country continues to grow and the middle class continues to shrink, the economy will continue to destabilize and more crises will occur. This economy, small businesses especially, depend on consumer spending. Consumer spending can't flourish based on the current climate.

18 million people make less than 10.10 per hour. How many more make less than $15 which is the wage one must be able to live off of based on current inflation?

Exactly how do you expect businesses to absorb the higher wages, higher payroll taxes and higher workers compensation insurance? Those are just the direct pay related costs, there will be more.

Some costs will be passed on to consumers, but it won't be nearly as much as you think. As an example, a restaurant will operate on a budget that allows for a 20% labor cost. Food costs run around 30%, utilities, rent, payroll taxes, and insurance round out another 30%, leaving a 20% profit margin. If current labor is based on $8.00 per hour for all employees and you want to raise their rate to $16.00 (doubled to make calculations easier), then labor would increase to 40%, leaving zero profit. In order to get the same dollar amount in profit, prices would need to be raised 20%. So in order to double everyone's wages, prices only need to increase 20%.

So, yes, some costs will be passed on to the consumer, but everyone has to do it, and as all these people now have more money to spend, business actually increases, so prices actually do not need to be raised 20%, but a bit less than that. Now, about those payroll taxes. Guess what? One of the main reasons that SS and Medicare is hurting so bad is due to the fact that average and median wages have been decreasing over the years, so those programs are actually collecting less than they should be. Now personally, I think $15 per hour for the minimum wage should be a target for 2020, while $10.00 per hour should be put in place now. I also do not have a big problem with staggering the minimum wage as Australia does. Teenagers make much less in Australia working minimum wage jobs than older adults. There is a bit more incentive to make employers promote people from within as they get older, so they aren't just paying the maximum minimum wage for every entry level position.

I see you didn't address Worker Compensation Insurance which is also directly related to wages. Also our near historic low labor participation rates are hurting social security and medicare far more than wages.

Forum List

Back