Why is it that Atheists like to hang around Religion Boards??

As someone who is religious, Jillian, I honestly think you are right and that no one wants to be agreed with constantly. The question I think the OP should have asked is why do atheists feel the need to be on the offensive on Religious Boards? We all come here to discuss points of view and for those who believe in religion it is not something you think but something you feel. To have that bashed and be called stupid merely for sharing your perspective is a bit like having someone throw a fistfull of mud at your lover and calling that person a horrible name. It is a little painful and sometimes seems needlessly petty.

Other than that I have had the unique experience of being on both sides of the fence. I HATED church and religion and everything it stood for. By the time I was 13 if you tried telling me there was a God I was asking you where the dinosaurs had room in their Bible. After Lucy was found I was asking for explinations and demanding proof of this God thing. I liked that science showed you what felt like a clean and clear picture of the past, and with the past mapped it felt easier to move on to the future because questions where answered. I only recently found God in my heart and soul in the past couple of years and am far from a zealot. I have always been fascinated by religion. Why do people flock to it, why do they feel this need to create a system of worship merely to explain things they can't? I can easily understand why atheists would end up on these boards. Again my only issue is why does it have to, seemingly, be out of a disdain for those who don't happen to see the world as Godless?

While some atheists are undoubtedly hostile, perhaps sometimes theists are a bit insecure. If one chooses to present your beliefs and ideas in a public forum, then it is not an attack or disdain when they are challenged. That is the best way to learn and understand. Only those who cling unrelentingly to their beliefs will not see the value in challenging one's ideas and concepts. If people are comfortable that they have reached a sound conclusion, then what have they to fear? Hopefully the atheist will not ask any question or make any point that the theist has not already considered in their desire to know truth. But if there is a unconsidered point, perhaps the theist should consider it when it is mentioned- even if it threatens their beliefs. It is the only way to honestly trust your own beliefs.

I think many atheists feel that there is nothing so dangerous in the world as absolute conviction that one is right. And nowhere is that attitude fostered more frequently than in religious belief. Therefore, any uncertainty introduced makes the world a bit more reasonable.

I always had a problem with the "exclusive use" clause, or the "Dad likes me (us) best" part of organized religion. That's why I could never buy into it once the hat ladies from Sunday school ran down the list of people who were going to hell or, "would not be joining us" in the castle in the sky. My grandma (a nice Catholic lady) called them a bunch of old busybodies, and that I shouldn't let their attitude reflect on my relationship with God. I didn't / don't, but I refused to go to Sunday school anymore. Drag me to service, fine, but that crap was out, and it was all taken from that time on with a healthy dose of salt.

While some atheists are undoubtedly hostile, perhaps sometimes theists are a bit insecure. If one chooses to present your beliefs and ideas in a public forum, then it is not an attack or disdain when they are challenged. That is the best way to learn and understand. Only those who cling unrelentingly to their beliefs will not see the value in challenging one's ideas and concepts. If people are comfortable that they have reached a sound conclusion, then what have they to fear? Hopefully the atheist will not ask any question or make any point that the theist has not already considered in their desire to know truth. But if there is a unconsidered point, perhaps the theist should consider it when it is mentioned- even if it threatens their beliefs. It is the only way to honestly trust your own beliefs.

I think many atheists feel that there is nothing so dangerous in the world as absolute conviction that one is right. And nowhere is that attitude fostered more frequently than in religious belief. Therefore, any uncertainty introduced makes the world a bit more reasonable.

I don't think there's anything in there that doesn't work if you reverse theist and atheist. Just sayin'.

I am trying to answer this question myelf--is it because we want to be proven wrong?
Or we have not "experienced" the kind of life changing experiences that believers have?

What do you think? It does not seem logical for athiests to hang around a board constructed for theism, at least to me. Maybe atheists are demon possessed!!:evil:

By the way--how can you tell if you are possessed by Demons??:tongue:

Generally you Can not tell if you are possessed. And while I believe it can happen it is beyond rare. Most supposed cases are simply dementia or ignorance on the part of those claiming the person is possessed.

Why is it that Atheists like to hang around Religion Boards??
Why do Republicans go to political boards full of Democrats?

Why do those who subscribe to Keyensian economic principles go to forums and engage in discussion with those who adhere to the Austrian model?

I don't think there's anything in there that doesn't work if you reverse theist and atheist. Just sayin'.

If I see an example of atheists questioning why christians come to their message boards, I will offer the same critique of them. Additionally, I know very few atheists convinced they are absolutely correct. Even Richard Dawkins admits that one can never be 100% certain that there is no god- 100% certainty requires faith.

However, more importantly, even if an atheist believes with absoute certainty that there is no god, there are no other convictions that follow from that. With a religious conviction there is frequently a large body of dogma that assumes the same degree of absolute certainty as the general theistic conviction. And since that dogma is often based upon writings that can be interpreted in a variety of ways, the interpretation usually follows a pre-determined ideology. So, the belief in god gets transferred to dogma which gets interpreted through ideology- in other words, it results in absolute belief in an ideology. This leads to everything from suicide bombers, to abortion clinic killings, to anti-evolutionism and anti-gay marriage. Each group interprets their holy book through the lens of their own ideological slant, and by doing so attempts to use their religion to justify their behavior or worldview.

I am trying to answer this question myelf--is it because we want to be proven wrong?
Or we have not "experienced" the kind of life changing experiences that believers have?

What do you think? It does not seem logical for athiests to hang around a board constructed for theism, at least to me. Maybe atheists are demon possessed!!:evil:

Maybe because atheism is, in itself, a religion.

Maybe is for those that hope what they believe will unfold as they have been indoctrinated.

Not believing in an invisible all powerfull being does not require faith. It just demands a mind that refuses to be duped.

Some people take a proactive stand on religion verses independant thought in an effort to help make thier fellow humans focus on a foundation of reality instead of fantasy.

If I see an example of atheists questioning why christians come to their message boards, I will offer the same critique of them. Additionally, I know very few atheists convinced they are absolutely correct. Even Richard Dawkins admits that one can never be 100% certain that there is no god- 100% certainty requires faith.

However, more importantly, even if an atheist believes with absoute certainty that there is no god, there are no other convictions that follow from that. With a religious conviction there is frequently a large body of dogma that assumes the same degree of absolute certainty as the general theistic conviction. And since that dogma is often based upon writings that can be interpreted in a variety of ways, the interpretation usually follows a pre-determined ideology. So, the belief in god gets transferred to dogma which gets interpreted through ideology- in other words, it results in absolute belief in an ideology. This leads to everything from suicide bombers, to abortion clinic killings, to anti-evolutionism and anti-gay marriage. Each group interprets their holy book through the lens of their own ideological slant, and by doing so attempts to use their religion to justify their behavior or worldview.

I would have to disagree with the bolded part, and pretty much everything that follows. The atheists I've met can be as rabidly zealous as any "believer". I know atheists like to see themselves as calm and rational and oh so above the emotion of believers but from my vantage point is looks like they are only fooling themselves.

Anyone can be rabidly zealous; that's a matter of personal character, not whether or not someone is an atheist or a believer. Personally, I'm not an atheist, but I am very opposed to most forms of organized religion. So I manage to piss off everyone at some point. :tongue: But I know personally two people who are atheists who are also active in religious institutions, because they believe the cultural and community unity is important. It really depends on the person.

I would have to disagree with the bolded part, and pretty much everything that follows. The atheists I've met can be as rabidly zealous as any "believer". I know atheists like to see themselves as calm and rational and oh so above the emotion of believers but from my vantage point is looks like they are only fooling themselves.

Of course, being rabidly zealous about one's atheistic belief has nothing to do with the bolded part or anything after it.

What is the dogma that follows a conviction of atheism? What other absolute convictions coincide with acceptance of absolute conviction in atheism?

Perhaps you misread my post?

Most people like to prove their own views. People who use message boards generally have very firm opinions. Nothing provokes a better fight than religion.

Therefore, agnostics / atheists who visit massage boards tend to do so knowing full well that posting their views will provoke a fight. Many seem to enjoy it.

Most people like to prove their own views. People who use message boards generally have very firm opinions. Nothing provokes a better fight than religion.

Therefore, agnostics / atheists who visit massage boards tend to do so knowing full well that posting their views will provoke a fight. Many seem to enjoy it.
I don't think it's the posting of their views that causes problems, it's the condescention, the insults that they constantly spew towards beleivers, the constant taunting and questioning, etc... that causes the problems.

I've very rarely seen a religious person attack a non-religious person for their views, but I've seen the opposite over and over again ad nausium.

I don't think it's the posting of their views that causes problems, it's the condescention, the insults that they constantly spew towards beleivers, the constant taunting and questioning, etc... that causes the problems.

I've very rarely seen a religious person attack a non-religious person for their views, but I've seen the opposite over and over again ad nausium.

I agree broadly, but I've also seen some people (Allie is a good example) take a number of unpleasant swipes at those who question 'religion'. There's also the fact that many people of faith seem to think that, filled with the holy spirit, they have the right to pass judgement on how others live their lives. If I were an atheist I'd probably be pissed off about that.

I agree broadly, but I've also seen some people (Allie is a good example) take a number of unpleasant swipes at those who question 'religion'. There's also the fact that many people of faith seem to think that, filled with the holy spirit, they have the right to pass judgement on how others live their lives. If I were an atheist I'd probably be pissed off about that.

Well, I guess that would depend on the situation, if you were attacked and belittled first for having a faith, then I say those that initiated the attack are fair game from there on out. If you display lack of respect for me and my beliefs, I have no reason to respect you or yours. It works both ways of course. Those that look down their noses at others and pass judgement aren't in a position to be doing so to begin with and really don't understand what faith is about. They are a poor representation of religion to begin with in my opinion.

Some people on both sides make ad hominem attacks. Often the religious attack non-believers by questioning whether they can be moral, accusing them of dishonesty- by saying that they are not really atheists, by conveying the sentiment that it is morally justified for them to be punished for eternity, accusing them of disregarding religion for hedonistic reasons, or accusations of being closed-minded/ that they just have not searched for the truth.

I know atheists make offensive comments as well, but I just wanted to point out the above because frankly, every one of these I find offensive, but a theist may not view them as such and thus reach a conclusion that theists are less often offensive simply on the basis of not recognizing the types of comments that an atheist may find offensive. Calling believers stupid or deluded is no less moral than accusing atheists of being dishonest or immoral by nature.

What are some other examples of atheistic attacks on religion you have seen here, Newby?

Forum List

Back