Why is it that Atheists like to hang around Religion Boards??

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
I am trying to answer this question myelf--is it because we want to be proven wrong?
Or we have not "experienced" the kind of life changing experiences that believers have?

What do you think? It does not seem logical for athiests to hang around a board constructed for theism, at least to me. Maybe atheists are demon possessed!!:evil:

By the way--how can you tell if you are possessed by Demons??:tongue:

I am trying to answer this question myelf--is it because we want to be proven wrong?
Or we have not "experienced" the kind of life changing experiences that believers have?

What do you think? It does not seem logical for athiests to hang around a board constructed for theism, at least to me. Maybe atheists are demon possessed!!:evil:

Why is it that Atheists like to hang around Religion Boards??

It is a target rich environment. I'll make you wish your only problem was the devil.

Last edited:
For the same reason Christian missionaries tend to live around pagan villages ;)

It's a religion board. Atheists have something to say about religion. It's also an ethics board here. Atheists can discuss ethics as well.

It's a bit like asking why a pacifist would hang around a board about the Iraq War.

what a silly observation... unless of course you want to be surrounded only by a bunch of people saying "me, too". :cuckoo:

I think the reasons vary dramatically for many

Some are hungry and seeking, some are spiteful, some are curious, some come in the name of satan, I think it varies.

I think they hunger for some kind of spiritual connection, yet can never find it because they're looking in all the wrong places... like message boards.

Loved the story about the group of nonbelievers in California who bought a billboard to promote atheism. Which means they've now become the thing they've always hated the most... organized religion.

In answer to your last question... how can you tell if you are possessed by Demons??

If you voted for Obama, there's a pretty good chance you're possessed by something. Demons or dumbass, doesn't really matter which. ;)

In answer to your last question... how can you tell if you are possessed by Demons??

If you voted for Obama, there's a pretty good chance you're possessed by something. Demons or dumbass, doesn't really matter which.

ROFLMAO. I'm laughing so hard I have stuff coming out of my nose! What a great answer... All I can say is, Amen, Smartmouthwoman. Amen.

I think they hunger for some kind of spiritual connection, yet can never find it because they're looking in all the wrong places... like message boards.

Loved the story about the group of nonbelievers in California who bought a billboard to promote atheism. Which means they've now become the thing they've always hated the most... organized religion.

If you voted for Obama, there's a pretty good chance you're possessed by something. Demons or dumbass, doesn't really matter which. ;)

I think they hunger for some kind of spiritual connection,

I get my connection at the ballot box..the same place you have been losing yours.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh ya great post!...not.

Last edited:
Religion is phylosophy so it's pretty much in the eye of the perceiver. Few 'facts' to muck anything up. It's always a nice thread for shallow enders to play around in.

I figured it was so you could say that you're always having it 'shoved down your throat'? You just leave out the part where you ask for it?:lol:

Actually, I think you doubt yourself.

" Why is it that Atheists like to hang around Religion Boards?? "

Probably because their opposition says things like this:

...some come in the name of satan, I think it varies.

As someone who is religious, Jillian, I honestly think you are right and that no one wants to be agreed with constantly. The question I think the OP should have asked is why do atheists feel the need to be on the offensive on Religious Boards? We all come here to discuss points of view and for those who believe in religion it is not something you think but something you feel. To have that bashed and be called stupid merely for sharing your perspective is a bit like having someone throw a fistfull of mud at your lover and calling that person a horrible name. It is a little painful and sometimes seems needlessly petty.

Other than that I have had the unique experience of being on both sides of the fence. I HATED church and religion and everything it stood for. By the time I was 13 if you tried telling me there was a God I was asking you where the dinosaurs had room in their Bible. After Lucy was found I was asking for explinations and demanding proof of this God thing. I liked that science showed you what felt like a clean and clear picture of the past, and with the past mapped it felt easier to move on to the future because questions where answered. I only recently found God in my heart and soul in the past couple of years and am far from a zealot. I have always been fascinated by religion. Why do people flock to it, why do they feel this need to create a system of worship merely to explain things they can't? I can easily understand why atheists would end up on these boards. Again my only issue is why does it have to, seemingly, be out of a disdain for those who don't happen to see the world as Godless?

As someone who is religious, Jillian, I honestly think you are right and that no one wants to be agreed with constantly. The question I think the OP should have asked is why do atheists feel the need to be on the offensive on Religious Boards? We all come here to discuss points of view and for those who believe in religion it is not something you think but something you feel. To have that bashed and be called stupid merely for sharing your perspective is a bit like having someone throw a fistfull of mud at your lover and calling that person a horrible name. It is a little painful and sometimes seems needlessly petty.

Other than that I have had the unique experience of being on both sides of the fence. I HATED church and religion and everything it stood for. By the time I was 13 if you tried telling me there was a God I was asking you where the dinosaurs had room in their Bible. After Lucy was found I was asking for explinations and demanding proof of this God thing. I liked that science showed you what felt like a clean and clear picture of the past, and with the past mapped it felt easier to move on to the future because questions where answered. I only recently found God in my heart and soul in the past couple of years and am far from a zealot. I have always been fascinated by religion. Why do people flock to it, why do they feel this need to create a system of worship merely to explain things they can't? I can easily understand why atheists would end up on these boards. Again my only issue is why does it have to, seemingly, be out of a disdain for those who don't happen to see the world as Godless?

While some atheists are undoubtedly hostile, perhaps sometimes theists are a bit insecure. If one chooses to present your beliefs and ideas in a public forum, then it is not an attack or disdain when they are challenged. That is the best way to learn and understand. Only those who cling unrelentingly to their beliefs will not see the value in challenging one's ideas and concepts. If people are comfortable that they have reached a sound conclusion, then what have they to fear? Hopefully the atheist will not ask any question or make any point that the theist has not already considered in their desire to know truth. But if there is a unconsidered point, perhaps the theist should consider it when it is mentioned- even if it threatens their beliefs. It is the only way to honestly trust your own beliefs.

I think many atheists feel that there is nothing so dangerous in the world as absolute conviction that one is right. And nowhere is that attitude fostered more frequently than in religious belief. Therefore, any uncertainty introduced makes the world a bit more reasonable.

because they are sexualy frustrated

Hi Angel. I have never felt any need to convince anyone else that they should believe what I do. I also have never felt any desire to have anyone tell me I must believe what they believe or that I'm going to hell. And I particularly don't want anyone teaching their religion to my son since I feel that's my job. My beliefs are kind of a mish mash of different things that resonated for me. Ultimately, they all came down to one thing... Do as much good as you can. Because I find it particularly arrogant for others to tell me that only their beliefs are correct, I have had one crazy person call me a bigot...and a christian hater. I found that really strange because, personally, I don't care what anyone else believes if they don't try to impose their beliefs on or hurt others.

As for why some athiests insist on insulting believers...I guess for the same reason that some believers like to insult atheists.

Also, I don't have disdain for those who see the world differently except, admittedly, to the extent that they ignore science and insist on saying things like the world is 6,000 years old... or...for those who try to impose their beliefs on me and mine.

Other than that... frankly, I don't care if people believe or don't believe... that's between them and their G-d.. or whatever.

Last edited:

Maybe because atheism is, in itself, a religion.

I don't think it's accurate to assume atheists hate organized religion. I know several atheists who don't hate organized religion and who, in fact, encourage it to some degree.

Its an ear to the train tracks. What encroachment on secular government are the dominionists planning next? Where better to see the plans run up the flag pole? Mind, I'm not technically an atheist, but where govt. is concerned, I'd kinda like their (all of) noses kept out of our laws.

Forum List

Back