Why Is It Still OK To 'Trash' Poor White People?

In my view it is the same type of policized hate that marginalizes marginalizes black people as thugs, hispanic immigrants as rapists and murderers and Muslim Americans as the fifth column.

That's somewhat exaggerated. It's ONLY folks outside of the Demo establishment that discuss the consequences of poor decisions about the American city killing fields and the NEW waves of immigration from the South and Mid-East. I RARELY hear anyone on the left ACKNOWLEDGING these issues exist. In fact -- they DENY the problems. See Chicago and all of California for example.

Don't know anyone responsible that is saying all Southern immigrants are rapists and murderers. Or that all black people are thugs. That's how WHITE PEOPLE KNOW IMMEDIATELY --- who the racists in their midst are. They are easy to spot. Over in the Race forum, it's not EASY for blacks to collar their racists. Because their speech is tolerated and protected.

But the folks screaming "white trash" here on USMB and social media want you to believe they are reasonable, responsible advocates for their party. That's the diff..
I think you don’t here what a lot on the right say about blacks here. Or Muslims. Or immigrants.

I do. That's how I can tell who is racist and who is not. As I said, it's a cinch for whites. The racists are the guys with the stereotypes and fakey history lessons. It's NOT as easy for blacks because that group feels they have earned a right to hate whites and excuse those behaviors from some of their clan. Whites can't.

Now as far as the folks who slam "white trash" -- still, usually, it's said out of political motivation to demean rural poor folks who live in predominantly "red" areas. By elitist snobs who overlook the poverty and ignorance of their own constituencies in the "blue" areas.

It's a stupid attack because not only do these elite snobs trash the characteristics and condition of white trash, many of whom are THEIR tribe in same red areas --- but because by your rather complete list in your OP ----

angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated.

They are demeaning many of their own constituency of color at the same time.

It's a prime example of the nastiness than lurks beneath the skin of most modern day lefty tribal warriors.

Where else do you hear this angry, lazy, stupid, tacky, backwards, Bible thumping et al directed from???

I'm drawing a complete blank on ANYTHING that's not politically motivated.
It is actually very easy.

ALL of the black people who think like that are racist.

Black racism is just mainstream now thanks to bullshit educational fields like sociology and mainstream left wing publications like the New York Times.

The right has to stop looking for the good in every black person while whining about white people who wave Confederate flags. Call these people out no matter how many that turns out to be.
Should white racists be called out with equal fervor?

It’s not ok. However, at least it’s pointing out one subset of white people- the poor uneducated ones.

When racists talk about black people, do they bother to specify the poor uneducated ones? I’d say rarely or even never. Or they figure all black people are poor and uneducated.

It doesn’t make it right, but the implication is that you can work your way up out of being white trash with the right behavior.

That’s a tiny bit of privilege black folks don’t have when dealing with bigots.

In my view it is the same type of policized hate that marginalizes marginalizes black people as thugs, hispanic immigrants as rapists and murderers and Muslim Americans as the fifth column.

That's somewhat exaggerated. It's ONLY folks outside of the Demo establishment that discuss the consequences of poor decisions about the American city killing fields and the NEW waves of immigration from the South and Mid-East. I RARELY hear anyone on the left ACKNOWLEDGING these issues exist. In fact -- they DENY the problems. See Chicago and all of California for example.

Don't know anyone responsible that is saying all Southern immigrants are rapists and murderers. Or that all black people are thugs. That's how WHITE PEOPLE KNOW IMMEDIATELY --- who the racists in their midst are. They are easy to spot. Over in the Race forum, it's not EASY for blacks to collar their racists. Because their speech is tolerated and protected.

But the folks screaming "white trash" here on USMB and social media want you to believe they are reasonable, responsible advocates for their party. That's the diff..
I think you don’t here what a lot on the right say about blacks here. Or Muslims. Or immigrants.

I do. That's how I can tell who is racist and who is not. As I said, it's a cinch for whites. The racists are the guys with the stereotypes and fakey history lessons. It's NOT as easy for blacks because that group feels they have earned a right to hate whites and excuse those behaviors from some of their clan. Whites can't.

Now as far as the folks who slam "white trash" -- still, usually, it's said out of political motivation to demean rural poor folks who live in predominantly "red" areas. By elitist snobs who overlook the poverty and ignorance of their own constituencies in the "blue" areas.

It's a stupid attack because not only do these elite snobs trash the characteristics and condition of white trash, many of whom are THEIR tribe in same red areas --- but because by your rather complete list in your OP ----

angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated.

It's a prime example of the nastiness than lurks beneath the skin of most modern day lefty tribal warriors.

Where else do you hear this angry, lazy, stupid, tacky, backwards, Bible thumping et al directed from???

Black racism is just mainstream now thanks to bullshit educational fields like sociology and mainstream left wing publications like the New York Times.

The right has to stop looking for the good in every black person while whining about white people who wave Confederate flags. Call these people out no matter how many that turns out to be.
We have a long way to go before black racists are even remotely called out as much as any white person suspected of being a racist.

"Anti-racists" are exclusively against white "racists" and they often side with anti-white racists.

Have I told you lately how much I love you? :)

We have a long way to go before black racists are even remotely called out as much as any white person suspected of being a racist.

"Anti-racists" are exclusively against white "racists" and they often side with anti-white racists.

It's harder for them to call out their racists, because there's a feeling they earned the right to diss whites. And they have a point. So even the majority of successful blacks Americans balk at criticizing them.

Whites KNOW who the racists are in their midst and largely call them out. Because there's not a feeling that anyone has earned a RIGHT to hate blacks based on being enslaved or oppressed for a century or more by INSTITUTIONALIZED racism.

The racist attacks on white trash are largely not RACIST at all. THey are largely politically motivated. By selectively describing a POLITICAL opposition as WHITE and poor and stupid and lazy and fat etc.. It's "white on white" assault for the most part.

It's harder for them to call out their racists, because there's a feeling they earned the right to diss whites. And they have a point. So even the majority of successful blacks Americans balk at criticizing them.

Whites KNOW who the racists are in their midst and largely call them out. Because there's not a feeling that anyone has earned a RIGHT to hate blacks based on being enslaved or oppressed for a century or more by INSTITUTIONALIZED racism.

The racist attacks on white trash are largely not RACIST at all. THey are largely politically motivated. By selectively describing a POLITICAL opposition as WHITE and poor and stupid and lazy and fat etc.. It's "white on white" assault for the most part.
It is racism, and it is institutionalized.

How?

It's Institutionalized NOW -- because a small segment of black activists have decided to "troll" whites in the SAME EXACT FASHION that white racists have trolled blacks for 100 years. By stereotyping and awful generalizations and even better CLASS and RACE division that Progressives thrive on. There's a large political component to Black racism as well.

They've adopted the TACTICS of white racists rather than seeking normalization and reconciliation. In fact, there IS no reconciliation with whites until they grovel and take the blame for 300 years of history and oppression. A goal that can never be met unless every white is tested and certified "not a racist". Much the same way the "alt-right" is a punk group adopting the tactics of the left to "trigger" leftists the way that leftists have triggered the right with street theater and memes and drama all along.

So groups that SHOULD be seeking reconciliation and healing -- are pushing the poles apart. Rather than working on true racial and class and political understanding and de-escalation.

Black racism is BEING institutionalized BECAUSE there is a POLITICAL objective to PRESERVE the hate and division..

It's Institutionalized NOW -- because a small segment of black activists have decided to "troll" whites in the SAME EXACT FASHION that white racists have trolled blacks for 100 years. By stereotyping and awful generalizations and even better CLASS and RACE division that Progressives thrive on. There's a large political component to Black racism as well.

They've adopted the TACTICS of white racists rather than seeking normalization and reconciliation. In fact, there IS no reconciliation with whites until they grovel and take the blame for 300 years of history and oppression. A goal that can never be met unless every white is tested and certified "not a racist". Much the same way the "alt-right" is a punk group adopting the tactics of the left to "trigger" leftists the way that leftists have triggered the right with street theater and memes and drama all along.

So groups that SHOULD be seeking reconciliation and healing -- are pushing the poles apart. Rather than working on true racial and class and political understanding and de-escalation.

Black racism is BEING institutionalized BECAUSE there is a POLITICAL objective to PRESERVE the hate and division..

You know what I realized not too long back?

The US government finally apologized in 2008 to people of African descent for slavery and institutionalized racism.

In 1988, the US government apologized and PAID those of Japanese descent who were held in camps during WW II.

WTF?

There are white trash, black trash, red and yellow trash...there are also great people of all color who are great people.

I've been called white trash and trailer trash...back on another forum one old hag used it constantly...until I found out she lived in a double wide in West Virginia....oh boy was that a red letter day on that forum when I dropped the hammer LOL

What is interesting in the article is it attacks the assumption that wealthy, urban, educated, “classy” white people cant be racist but poor, rural, southern white people must be.

Anyone can be racist, someone once asked me if people are born racist, I think it's learned somehow. On here I'm constantly called a racist but I don't judge on skin color, I judge on integrity and character

If I were racist I wouldn't work with our Outreach and I'd struggle with dealing with associates of my husband. Just last weekend we entertained a new associate and his wife, both black and we had a very good time. His future is promising

Anyone can be racist but anyone did not enforce their racism in this nation by making laws but one race.
It wasn't the race who made the laws, it was those in charge. This does not mean all whites are enforcing racism. And btw, laws have changed.

But if someone posted a similar cartoon with a black person...would it be funny...or racist...or offensive?
To me, it all depends on the context. If it’s genuinely intended to be funny, then it’s ok even if it misses the mark. If it’s genuinely intended to be hurtful and hateful, then those people are racist and should be recognized as such.
It is racist if a white person posts it

That is true.

But that does not excuse racism

What it doesn't excuse is how whites have created and manipulated laws to give themslves advantages and privileges others have been unable to get in the same full measure..

It doesn’t excuse racism of any kind. Or do you think some types are excusable?

It doesn't make everything all the same either. And that's what it seems you are doing. Things have not been the same for all races. We are the ones who have continually been bullied by white racism. Whites have not faced nothing of the sort, yet whites want to redefine racism now. Whites seem to think we have no right to be angry or react to what whites keep doing or we have no right to air our grievance about what has been done to us that remains unfixed. Unless we say it in a manner tha whites want to hear, meaning we blame ourselves and just ignore everything else. If or when we don't meet those expectations, then we get the false equivalence about all races can be racists when all races have not endured the racism whites have put on non whites.
Racism is not defined as only being perpetrated on black people. It is an attitude and all races can express that attitude. Because white people have had the historical power to legislate into law doesn't exempt black people from being racist.

Is it ok for black people to be racist?

You choose to avoid the issue and I chose to not answer your question because I'm tired of whites here asking questions. This is not about an attitude, it is about what has been done, and what keeps being done. 99 percent of what is called black racism here is not close to racism.

Definition of racism

1 a belief that
race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

b : a political or social system founded on racism

Calling you a white boy does not infer I'm superior to you.

Historically the N word has been used to by whites to describe blacks as lazy, dumb, uneducated, worthless, scum, less than human and parasites. It has stood for nothing coming out of the mouth of whites but insults and to denigrate back people. For over 240 years this has been the primary use of the word by whites. When they first started using the word, blacks could not fight back. Blacks had to take being disgraced and belittled or face beatings or death. When the lynch mobs came to get us, they were not using the word as a term of endearment. The word coming from whites has carried a belief of superiority. It was them saying they are better than us just because they exist. The pre school age white child could freely call elderly black men or women who had lived a full life and had wisdom that child may never receive that word and it’s parents said nothing about respecting your elders. The term coming from whites simply means no respect.

There is no word blacks or anyone else uses for whites that have this history. So it's just this simple imo coyote, unfortunately for you, because you aren't a racist, racism has been practiced by whites in the worst way, done by the most extreme methods and has inflicted serious damage in every way to communities of color. Until the complete damage white racism has wrought is fixed your question only serves as an irritant.
You REALLY should live in this century. Times have changed. The whites today are not the whites of the past, nor are they continuing what you perceive to be a behavior of the past. If you are disliked it is because of your attitude, not your skin color. Your chip on your shoulder is so big it is weighing you down

That is true.

But that does not excuse racism

What it doesn't excuse is how whites have created and manipulated laws to give themslves advantages and privileges others have been unable to get in the same full measure..

It doesn’t excuse racism of any kind. Or do you think some types are excusable?

It doesn't make everything all the same either. And that's what it seems you are doing. Things have not been the same for all races. We are the ones who have continually been bullied by white racism. Whites have not faced nothing of the sort, yet whites want to redefine racism now. Whites seem to think we have no right to be angry or react to what whites keep doing or we have no right to air our grievance about what has been done to us that remains unfixed. Unless we say it in a manner tha whites want to hear, meaning we blame ourselves and just ignore everything else. If or when we don't meet those expectations, then we get the false equivalence about all races can be racists when all races have not endured the racism whites have put on non whites.
Racism is not defined as only being perpetrated on black people. It is an attitude and all races can express that attitude. Because white people have had the historical power to legislate into law doesn't exempt black people from being racist.

Is it ok for black people to be racist?

You choose to avoid the issue and I chose to not answer your question because I'm tired of whites here asking questions. This is not about an attitude, it is about what has been done, and what keeps being done. 99 percent of what is called black racism here is not close to racism.

Definition of racism

1 a belief that
race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

b : a political or social system founded on racism

Calling you a white boy does not infer I'm superior to you.

Historically the N word has been used to by whites to describe blacks as lazy, dumb, uneducated, worthless, scum, less than human and parasites. It has stood for nothing coming out of the mouth of whites but insults and to denigrate back people. For over 240 years this has been the primary use of the word by whites. When they first started using the word, blacks could not fight back. Blacks had to take being disgraced and belittled or face beatings or death. When the lynch mobs came to get us, they were not using the word as a term of endearment. The word coming from whites has carried a belief of superiority. It was them saying they are better than us just because they exist. The pre school age white child could freely call elderly black men or women who had lived a full life and had wisdom that child may never receive that word and it’s parents said nothing about respecting your elders. The term coming from whites simply means no respect.

There is no word blacks or anyone else uses for whites that have this history. So it's just this simple imo coyote, unfortunately for you, because you aren't a racist, racism has been practiced by whites in the worst way, done by the most extreme methods and has inflicted serious damage in every way to communities of color. Until the complete damage white racism has wrought is fixed your question only serves as an irritant.
You call most white posters, myself included, racists. Yet I do not fit any of your definitions of being racist. Being black does not mean you can decide what nasty names are appropriate to call whites.

Food for thought....

When poor (or formerly poor) white folks do get portrayed in the media and pop culture, they're often reduced to a series of offensive stereotypes: that they're angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated. Those stereotypes get reinforced over and over again on TV and in movies, as anyone who watched Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty will tell you.

other slurs, there has been some reclamation of "white trash" — songs and cookbooks and T-shirts that celebrate white-trash culture. And plenty of people unabashedly refer to themselves as white trash.

But no matter who uses it, the phrase itself reinforces some pretty insidious ideas about the meaning of whiteness (and, by reflection, blackness — we'll get to that in a minute). By accepting the idea that white trash exists, people are tacitly accepting that there is another, different kind of whiteness. Normal white people — the ones who aren't white trash — embody all the things white trash can't: They're hardworking, educated, classy, kind and good.

Anyone who doesn't conform to those values can't ever really be fully white. Hence, white trash.

"The problem with the white trash reference is often ... it becomes an easy way to dismiss a group and to generalize," Isenberg says.

Just because they are poor, it doesn't mean they are trash. Same thing happens to black people.
---------------------------------------- FREE Country i s'pose Coyote . And i'm only responding to the opening question Coyote .

Food for thought....

When poor (or formerly poor) white folks do get portrayed in the media and pop culture, they're often reduced to a series of offensive stereotypes: that they're angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated. Those stereotypes get reinforced over and over again on TV and in movies, as anyone who watched Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty will tell you.

other slurs, there has been some reclamation of "white trash" — songs and cookbooks and T-shirts that celebrate white-trash culture. And plenty of people unabashedly refer to themselves as white trash.

But no matter who uses it, the phrase itself reinforces some pretty insidious ideas about the meaning of whiteness (and, by reflection, blackness — we'll get to that in a minute). By accepting the idea that white trash exists, people are tacitly accepting that there is another, different kind of whiteness. Normal white people — the ones who aren't white trash — embody all the things white trash can't: They're hardworking, educated, classy, kind and good.

Anyone who doesn't conform to those values can't ever really be fully white. Hence, white trash.

"The problem with the white trash reference is often ... it becomes an easy way to dismiss a group and to generalize," Isenberg says.

What part of the entire continuing history of this country have so many whites missed?

Forum List

Back