Why is it so hard to have a civil discussion in the Israel/Palestine forum?

Billo_Really

Litre of the Band
Aug 14, 2005
Long Beach, Ca
I guess it goes without saying this is the most volatile forum at USMB? I don't think I've seen one thread where a shouting match didn't occur at some point. There is so much vitriol, one would think you'd have an "Enter at your own risk" sign on the first webpage before entering. I'm wondering why a lack of civility is so prevalent? And yes, I know, I'm one of the biggest violators of that. If there was a "Biggest Prick in the Forum" contest, I would probably make the meddle round.

If you were going to name whom (or what) is responsible for the consistently deteriorating discord, who (or what) would it be?

the Zionists?
the anti-Zionists?
the Americans?
the Israeli's?
the Muslims?
the Jews?
the pro-Palestine crowd?
the pro-Israeli crowd?
human nature?
the seriousness of the topics being discussed?​

If you had to put your finger on one thing that is preventing issues in this forum from being discussed in a civil, respectful manner, without all the emotional outbursts and name-calling, what would it be?

I guess it goes without saying this is the most volatile forum at USMB? I don't think I've seen one thread where a shouting match didn't occur at some point. There is so much vitriol, one would think you'd have an "Enter at your own risk" sign on the first webpage before entering. I'm wondering why a lack of civility is so prevalent? And yes, I know, I'm one of the biggest violators of that. If there was a "Biggest Prick in the Forum" contest, I would probably make the meddle round.

If you were going to name whom (or what) is responsible for the consistently deteriorating discord, who (or what) would it be?

the Zionists?
the anti-Zionists?
the Americans?
the Israeli's?
the Muslims?
the Jews?
the pro-Palestine crowd?
the pro-Israeli crowd?
human nature?

If you had to put your finger on one thing that is preventing issues in this forum from being discussed in a civil, respectful manner, without all the emotional outbursts and name-calling, what would it be?

"...one thing that is preventing issues in this forum from being discussed in a civil, respectful manner..."

you & your friends.......

2 sides to make a fight.............

Neither side will back down............thus it is a War of Words........

the Zionists?
the anti-Zionists?
the Americans?
the Israeli's?
the Muslims?
the Jews?
the pro-Palestine crowd?
the pro-Israeli crowd?
human nature?

Honestly Billo, I do appreciate your candor. I did do a bold on my quote of your post. Because as you said yourself, you can be one of the first to start dropping the f-bomb, the 'prick' bomb, the :ahole-1: bomb and some others. But there are others on both sides of this issue that are at fault. Myself sometimes included.

I guess from your list, it would have to _maybe_ be the last two, I don't know. I try to have civil discussions, but then get caught up in the 'heat of the moment'. But when I step back, even Humanity and I can see eye to eye.

Lack of openmindedness, lack of respect, an overall disregard for historical fact, and the inability to delineate such fact from propaganda.

the Zionists?
the anti-Zionists?
the Americans?
the Israeli's?
the Muslims?
the Jews?
the pro-Palestine crowd?
the pro-Israeli crowd?
human nature?

You left Hitler off your list...and if we didn't have so many fascist race-baiting queers in the forum, I'm sure it'd be much more civil. Every thread they start has to do with their hate and loathing of someone or some thing.

"Why is it so hard to have a civil discussion in the Israel/Palestine forum?"

Among many other reasons, because those who offer legitimate, appropriate, and factual criticism of Israel are immediately branded 'anti-Semites.'

Or perhaps because so little of what is posted here is legitimate, appropriate, and factual criticism of Israel but rather is simply camel crap. Scratch the surface of most anti-Israel posters here and out pops the anti-Semite.

There is an incredible amount of lies about Israel being spewed here on a daily basis.

Criticism is one thing, but when you make up crap, distort history and deny fhe truth even though it has been put right in front of your eyes ( there are several posters here who fit this description but one especially), then you have no business posting here and are better off in the conspiracy theory forum.

I think the primary reason is the Palestinian supporters demand borders and Israeli concessions that the Israeli's KNOW will lead to their extermination. It's hard to be reasonable with those who are unreasonable.

Forum List

Back