Why is it shocking that the top 1% of Americans pay 40% of the income tax?

And where exactly did I make that point??????

Fallacy: Straw Man
Description of Straw Man

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.

So are you stating categorically you actually oppose government involvement in the market place to "fix" the problem you've identified with monopolies?
I've said nothing about the government, I merely shot a gaping hole in your "free market" argument reducing you to nothing but straw men.

You're shucking and jiving.

Shintao and edthecynic, are you both math deprived? Jesus man, you don’t have to know calculus or statistical theory to understand basic math axioms when it comes to the macro effect of your flat tax insanity, or even worse, the same amount of tax being paid by all. How absolutely moronic! The right wing mentality is truly substandard, as we liberals constantly say about you people.

Ever hear of ‘Engels Law’ that states that the more income a person has, the less of a percentage they spend on food? Most people would simply know that based on common knowledge and experience of how people spend money. That can be extended to not just food, but to other life sustaining necessities such as clothes, housing, transportation, personal maintenance, dental care, even entertainment. For example, most people’s houses are valued at multiples of their annual income, somewhere between 4 to 8 times, and is usually the major component of their personal equity. Their homes are most often the only component of their personal equity and is usually a multiple of their annual income. But, for example, Bill Gates home cost him about $147 million. Now, Gates has a net worth of some $52 billion. Divide $147,000,000 by $52,000,000,000 and you get about ¼ of 1%… not a multiple of his net worth but only a tiny fraction of his net worth. Are you guys getting it yet? No? Not surprising, I know this is a rather complicated for the right wing mind.

The point is that flat taxing income does not take into account a whole bunch of pertinent relevant facts and circumstances, only one of which is that people with excess income beyond what is needed to sustain a basic good quality of life are not even dented by such a tax, they can hardly even notice it after all the wealth that the top 2% in our society were able to extract from the economy and the combined effort and joules of energy of those who earned and created the wealth with their own hands and minds but lost it to those wealthy people who were able to commandeer the wealth from them, ostensibly legally, by way of under-compensation, high prices, and financial maneuvering.

Do you guys even know that such a flat tax would be a ‘wind fall’ to the wealthy? Do you know why? God bless, everybody pay equal taxes! Are you insane? Tell me, genius, about how much would that be per year, your equal tax, that is? Would everybody be able to pay that amount? Hmmmmm? And, would that amount actually be the same total tax revenue that is now collected under the current taxation system? I will bet that you didn’t even think that one through? Right wingers---typical, typical, typical.

Forum List

Back