Why is hemp illegal?

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Why is hemp illegal?

The war against Cannabis in the United States was started in the 1930’s, not because it was a particularly dangerous drug but because it was a dangerous competitor for synthetic fibers like Nylon. The development of harvesting and processing machines during the 1920s paved the way for a big comeback of hemp in the energy, raw materials, textiles and plastics markets. Markets that were under tight control of the petrochemical industries, which were dominated in the US by Dupont. Dupont, still the largest chemical corporation in the world, manufactures the lead-additives for gasoline, the sulfites and sulfates for paper production, pesticides for cotton farming, synthetic textile fibers and countless oil-based plastics. In all these areas, hemp constitutes a green alternative. Officials from the US Department of Agriculture calculated billion-dollar revenues, all of which would be lost to the (petro-)chemical corporations. An unprecedented disinformation campaign was started under the slogan “killer drug” to destroy the competition from hemp products. The consequences of this horror propaganda are still felt to this day. In 1982 Martin Butter, the last german hemp cultivator agreed to stop growing hemp after he was paid a considerable amount of money. He threatened to sue before the European court and would surely have won but unfortunately didn't do it.

freeandfun1 said:
Why is hemp illegal?

The war against Cannabis in the United States was started in the 1930’s, not because it was a particularly dangerous drug but because it was a dangerous competitor for synthetic fibers like Nylon. The development of harvesting and processing machines during the 1920s paved the way for a big comeback of hemp in the energy, raw materials, textiles and plastics markets. Markets that were under tight control of the petrochemical industries, which were dominated in the US by Dupont. Dupont, still the largest chemical corporation in the world, manufactures the lead-additives for gasoline, the sulfites and sulfates for paper production, pesticides for cotton farming, synthetic textile fibers and countless oil-based plastics. In all these areas, hemp constitutes a green alternative. Officials from the US Department of Agriculture calculated billion-dollar revenues, all of which would be lost to the (petro-)chemical corporations. An unprecedented disinformation campaign was started under the slogan “killer drug” to destroy the competition from hemp products. The consequences of this horror propaganda are still felt to this day. In 1982 Martin Butter, the last german hemp cultivator agreed to stop growing hemp after he was paid a considerable amount of money. He threatened to sue before the European court and would surely have won but unfortunately didn't do it.

it may be a nice fabric alternative, but it doesn't change the fact my best friend's brother was killed by a driver who was high on pot...not drunk, not on any other drug...he smoked pot before he got in his car. My best friend's brother was walking his dog, and was hit on a sidewalk. The driver and his friends thought it was funny to play the "points" game, but for real. They hit my best friend's brother at 45mph. He was dead on impact. The dog died too.

Just like alcohol, pot impares your judgement. Maybe pot should be legal, maybe it should stay illegal. I don't care. Alcohol impares your senses, and is legal (to those of age, but that rarely stops minors). But those who say it is harmless, should say that to my best friend and her family.

The thing is, if you legalize one drug, then there will be the push to legalize ALL drugs. Where will it stop?

fuzzykitten99 said:
it may be a nice fabric alternative, but it doesn't change the fact my best friend's brother was killed by a driver who was high on pot...not drunk, not on any other drug...he smoked pot before he got in his car. My best friend's brother was walking his dog, and was hit on a sidewalk. The driver and his friends thought it was funny to play the "points" game, but for real. They hit my best friend's brother at 45mph. He was dead on impact. The dog died too.

Just like alcohol, pot impares your judgement. Maybe pot should be legal, maybe it should stay illegal. I don't care. Alcohol impares your senses, and is legal (to those of age, but that rarely stops minors). But those who say it is harmless, should say that to my best friend and her family.

The thing is, if you legalize one drug, then there will be the push to legalize ALL drugs. Where will it stop?

So if I go eat a hamburger and I then kill somebody in an accident because I am full and not paying attention, is it the hamburger that caused the accident or my stupidity? Anybody that gets high then drive is wrong. Period.

Also, the point of this thread is INDUSTRIAL HEMP - the kind that doesn't have any (or very, very little) THC in it and is not suitable for "getting high".

fuzzykitten99 said:
iThe thing is, if you legalize one drug, then there will be the push to legalize ALL drugs. Where will it stop?

People said that about alcohol during prohibition. :huh:

I'm for industrial hemp, especially for production of paper.

Said1 said:
People said that about alcohol during prohibition. :huh:

I'm for industrial hemp, especially for production of paper.

And alternative fuels. You can create Ethanol from cannabis.

fuzzykitten99 said:

I am truly sorry to hear about your brother. However, I will say that, in general, pot is less harmful than alcohol. In fact, I strongly believe that the legalization of pot will lead to a decrease in harder drug use.

Pot remains illegal due to pressure from the liquor lobby--they have the monopoly on legal mind altering chemicals and have secured govermental protection. ( However, the personal injury lawyers would LOVE to get into their pockets, like they did with the tobacco industry.)

no1tovote4 said:
And alternative fuels. You can create Ethanol from cannabis.

Yeah - and all you potheads would be burning your lips sucking on the exhaust pipe!

:banana:

Sorry. I HAD to do that. :funnyface

Merlin1047 said:
Yeah - and all you potheads would be burning your lips sucking on the exhaust pipe!

:banana:

Sorry. I HAD to do that. :funnyface

Cmon dude----they just want the alternative fuels and paper !!!! :rolleyes:

dilloduck said:
( However, the personal injury lawyers would LOVE to get into their pockets, like they did with the tobacco industry.)

Don't think that will happen for the same reason that suits agains gun manufacturers were thrown out.

Suits against cigarrette makers succeeded for three reasons: One, the tobacco industry vehemently denied any health risks from the use of their product. Two, tobacco is a product which damages one's health when used in the manner intended by the manufacturer. Three, proof was presented that manufacturers knew the health risk, but attempted to spike the nicotine level of cigarrettes to make them even more addictive.

Liquor producers have been much smarter. They warn those who should not use their product, such as pregnant women. They constantly harp on "responsible" drinking. And so far, no health risks have been linked to the moderate use of alcohol. Matter of fact, certain types such as red wine, have even been found to be healthy.

I fail to see how legalizeng weed could do any good at all.

Yes, Alcohol is also a dangerous mind-altering substance. More dangerous than pot? I don't know, and don't really care. Even if it is, what good can come of legalizing another dangerous substance?

I think the reason alcohol is legal, and why prohibition failed, is that alcohol is engrained in our history. It goes back hundreds of years withrich nobles having fancy parties with wine and poor peasents drinking ale. It is a part of our culture and history, like it or not.

Merlin1047 said:
Don't think that will happen for the same reason that suits agains gun manufacturers were thrown out.

Suits against cigarrette makers succeeded for three reasons: One, the tobacco industry vehemently denied any health risks from the use of their product. Two, tobacco is a product which damages one's health when used in the manner intended by the manufacturer. Three, proof was presented that manufacturers knew the health risk, but attempted to spike the nicotine level of cigarrettes to make them even more addictive.

Liquor producers have been much smarter. They warn those who should not use their product, such as pregnant women. They constantly harp on "responsible" drinking. And so far, no health risks have been linked to the moderate use of alcohol. Matter of fact, certain types such as red wine, have even been found to be healthy.

No doubt----MUCH smarter or the lawyers would already have a big piece of em. I can just see em crying in their beer over this one. :banana:

freeandfun1 said:
So if I go eat a hamburger and I then kill somebody in an accident because I am full and not paying attention, is it the hamburger that caused the accident or my stupidity? Anybody that gets high then drive is wrong. Period.

Also, the point of this thread is INDUSTRIAL HEMP - the kind that doesn't have any (or very, very little) THC in it and is not suitable for "getting high".

that's a farfetched analysis...eating a hamburger does not impair your brain functions. you can't get high off a hamburger.

fuzzykitten99 said:
that's a farfetched analysis...eating a hamburger does not impair your brain functions. you can't get high off a hamburger.

Hmmm - I guess you've never had a "beef buzz".

freeandfun1 said:
Why is hemp illegal?

The war against Cannabis in the United States was started in the 1930’s, not because it was a particularly dangerous drug but because it was a dangerous competitor for synthetic fibers like Nylon.

It also proved a convenient excuse to incarcerate blacks and Central/South American immigrants. This helped recruit the votes of Southern politicians who might have otherwise voted in favor of keeping hemp legal because of the possible benefits to their largely agrarian States.

Zhukov said:
It also proved a convenient excuse to incarcerate blacks and Central/South American immigrants. This helped recruit the votes of Southern politicians who might have otherwise voted in favor of keeping hemp legal because of the possible benefits to their largely agrarian States.

From what I have read, the main reason for making pot illegal was because during the depression, the largest group of pot smokers was Mexicans. They would then use their violation of the pot laws as an excuse to deport them.

Whomever said that booze is part of our "culture", you are right. But pot is/was a part of the Mexican and American Indian communities for ages. So it cuts both ways.

And ONCE AGAIN, this thread was started to provide a discussion of INDUSTRIAL HEMP - although I DO support the legalization of marijuana, the main point of this thread was to discuss INDUSTRIAL HEMP.

freeandfun1 said:
From what I have read, the main reason for making pot illegal was because during the depression, the largest group of pot smokers was Mexicans. They would then use their violation of the pot laws as an excuse to deport them.

Whomever said that booze is part of our "culture", you are right. But pot is/was a part of the Mexican and American Indian communities for ages. So it cuts both ways.

And ONCE AGAIN, this thread was started to provide a discussion of INDUSTRIAL HEMP - although I DO support the legalization of marijuana, the main point of this thread was to discuss INDUSTRIAL HEMP.

You will have to explain the difference in Industrial Hemp to Marijuana for the people on the board. While I know that Industrial Hemp is a different subject it appears they do not. You will probably need to expose them to a link discussing the differences between them.

no1tovote4 said:
You will have to explain the difference in Industrial Hemp to Marijuana for the people on the board. While I know that Industrial Hemp is a different subject it appears they do not. You will probably need to expose them to a link discussing the differences between them.

Maybe hemp's similarity to marijuana is what's keeping it illegal ?

dilloduck said:
Maybe hemp's similarity to marijuana is what's keeping it illegal ?

That would be my guess, however you cannot get high on industrial Hemp. There is a difference in the plants that they simply do not carry enough THC to give you the buzz you may want. (If you do those things).

Forum List

Back