Why is green policy and renewable energy necessary?

Thank you, Rodishi.

Sand and Gravel operation, then.

When I worked for the Forest Service, I was lab inspector for Region 6, and refereed many tests. In one case, I cost the Forest Service hundreds of thousands of dollars when I pointed out that the Forest Service technicians had made a basic mistake that rendered all their tests, and the rejection of the contractors gravel, in error. They were cooking the gravel before sieving out the binder material.

As for your use of diesel engines for your machinery, I have no problem with that. Provided that the replacement engines are much more efficient, and that we should be working toward supplying the diesel from biologic sources, and I do not mean food crops at all.

Algae Biofuel From Sewage

As for the rest of the post, if you are not one of those rejecting all forms of alternative energy, solar, geothermal, wind, and nuclear, then I apoligize. But if you look at this thread, consider how many do, and how many ignore, outright, the present economics of that energy.
Thank you for the apology. The diesel engines we used were industrial engines designed by John Deere and satisfied the emissions standards for the years we had them. Those emissions standards are now more strict. If you look at the EPA site regarding pollution discharge exemptions, you will notice that it is most generally large polluters who apply for and are granted exemptions to the emissions release standard. Those emissions releases that EPA regulates are everything from dust to sewage runoff. Comprehensive studies I have read thus far show grain alcohol is a larger polluter by far in both the air emissions, ground contamination and water pollution. Even the studies I have read did not appear to take into the matrix pollution caused by chemicals that are used to produce the bio (food and pharmaceutical) products being used in the manufacturing process.

IMO, caution should be used in applying these technologies in our populous before just jumping off the bridge so to speak. The biotech that was pushed in this country concerning ethanol is a disaster. One particular reason is simple. The waste and biproduct left over from the production of ethanol greatly overruns the end product they are producing. It is like mining sand and gravel from a river bed. For every usable pile of of ACP and PCC material made the producer has three piles of fines.

As far as food and pharmaceuticals (GMO) in crops and people go, the potential for damage is immeasurable. One of the primary reasons for this appears to be the time frame. Granting of approvals and patents by our government has been streamlined. Any ill effects has the potential to span generations.

Thank you, Rodishi.

Sand and Gravel operation, then.

When I worked for the Forest Service, I was lab inspector for Region 6, and refereed many tests. In one case, I cost the Forest Service hundreds of thousands of dollars when I pointed out that the Forest Service technicians had made a basic mistake that rendered all their tests, and the rejection of the contractors gravel, in error. They were cooking the gravel before sieving out the binder material.

As for your use of diesel engines for your machinery, I have no problem with that. Provided that the replacement engines are much more efficient, and that we should be working toward supplying the diesel from biologic sources, and I do not mean food crops at all.

Algae Biofuel From Sewage

As for the rest of the post, if you are not one of those rejecting all forms of alternative energy, solar, geothermal, wind, and nuclear, then I apoligize. But if you look at this thread, consider how many do, and how many ignore, outright, the present economics of that energy.
Thank you for the apology. The diesel engines we used were industrial engines designed by John Deere and satisfied the emissions standards for the years we had them. Those emissions standards are now more strict. If you look at the EPA site regarding pollution discharge exemptions, you will notice that it is most generally large polluters who apply for and are granted exemptions to the emissions release standard.

Yes, I am well aware of that, and resent it immensely.

Those emissions releases that EPA regulates are everything from dust to sewage runoff. Comprehensive studies I have read thus far show grain alcohol is a larger polluter by far in both the air emissions, ground contamination and water pollution. Even the studies I have read did not appear to take into the matrix pollution caused by chemicals that are used to produce the bio (food and pharmaceutical) products being used in the manufacturing process.

Note that I was talking of bio-diesel produced using algea.

While engines that are specifically designed to run on ethonal are clean enough, but I don't know of any in general use.

IMO, caution should be used in applying these technologies in our populous before just jumping off the bridge so to speak. The biotech that was pushed in this country concerning ethanol is a disaster. One particular reason is simple. The waste and biproduct left over from the production of ethanol greatly overruns the end product they are producing. It is like mining sand and gravel from a river bed. For every usable pile of of ACP and PCC material made the producer has three piles of fines.

From the gitgo, I considered the use of food products for fuel to be immoral.

The kind of bio-fuel that I wish to see developed is using waste products, sewage, ect., for the base.

There is a plant that prefers to grow on scrubland that produces an oil readily usable for diesel fuel, jojoba.

Experimental evaluation of Diesel engine performance and emission using blends of jojoba oil and Diesel fuel

ScienceDirect - Energy Conversion and Management : Experimental evaluation of Diesel engine performance and emission using blends of jojoba oil and Diesel fuel

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

A. S. Huzayyin a, A. H. Bawady b, M. A. Rady , , a and A. Dawood a

a Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology, Benha High Institute of Technology, Benha 13 512, Egypt

b Department of Automotive Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Ain Shams, Abbassia 11566, Cairo, Egypt

Received 22 July 2003; accepted 26 October 2003. Available online 5 December 2003.

Abstract
An experimental evaluation of using jojoba oil as an alternate Diesel engine fuel has been conducted in the present work. Measurements of jojoba oil chemical and physical properties have indicated a good potential of using jojoba oil as an alternative Diesel engine fuel. Blending of jojoba oil with gas oil has been shown to be an effective method to reduce engine problems associated with the high viscosity of jojoba oil. Experimental measurements of different performance parameters of a single cylinder, naturally aspirated, direct injection, Diesel engine have been performed using gas oil and blends of gas oil with jojoba oil. Measurements of engine performance parameters at different load conditions over the engine speed range have generally indicated a negligible loss of engine power, a slight increase in brake specific fuel consumption and a reduction in engine NOx and soot emission using blends of jojoba oil with gas oil as compared to gas oil. The reduction in engine soot emission has been observed to increase with the increase of jojoba oil percentage in the fuel blend.

As far as food and pharmaceuticals (GMO) in crops and people go, the potential for damage is immeasurable. One of the primary reasons for this appears to be the time frame. Granting of approvals and patents by our government has been streamlined. Any ill effects has the potential to span generations.

I agree with you on this. Although I think it a very neccessary technology, it, like nuclear, is a very dangerous technology.

Kvutzat Yavne, Israel
In a country that ranks among the world’s highest for average number of sunny days per year, solar energy has long been seen as a key natural resource here.

All the more fitting that on the eve of its Independence Day Israel launched what it said was the first solar farm of its kind, billed as a breakthrough that will make it affordable to reduce reliance on fossil fuels.

The technology, a system of rotating dishes made up of mirrors, is capable of harnessing up to 75 percent of incoming sunlight – roughly five times the capacity of traditional solar panels. In addition, using mirrors to reduce the number of photovoltaic cells needed, it makes the cost of solar energy roughly comparable to fossil fuels.

While this technology has been implemented elsewhere, Israeli start-up ZenithSolar – working in conjunction with Israel’s Ben-Gurion University – is a pioneer in combining it with a water-based cooling system that increases the photovoltaic cells’ efficiency and produces thermal energy to boot.

“We’re the first to develop a cogeneration machine which will harness sunlight to produce thermal energy together with electrical energy at the same time,” said Roy Segev, founder and CEO of ZenithSolar, at a launch party Monday at this kibbutz, or communal agricultural settlement, located on Israel’s coastal plain east of Ashdod. This flagship plot of 16 dishes known as “Z20”s – which look like semiflattened satellite dishes with the texture of a disco ball – will generate about half of the total energy needs of this community of some 200 families.

In Israel, solar power that won't need subsidies / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

If one has flown over the mountains of West Virginia and seen the damage done in removing entire moutain tops and dumping them into the valleys, this comparison means a lot.

Nevada Solar one is a better and smaller neighbor than a coal mine | Grist

Solar land use: less than coal

Nevada Solar one is a better and smaller neighbor than a coal mine 80
26 May 2008 1:13 AM
by Gar Lipow Author Feed

Every now and then, one hears complaints about solar energy: "But it takes too much land!" "An entire Idaho!" "Three Californias!"
Nevada Solar One takes up about 400 acres, mostly for mirrors and heat engines. You would have to mine about 5,300 acres to feed a coal-fired powered plant producing the same amount of electricity. Even acre for acre, I'll take Solar One's pleasant campus over a coal mine.

Math below the fold.

The 400-acre Nevada Solar One produces around 134,000,000 kWh per year. About three quarters of this is mirrors and heat engines, the rest support services and access.

Forum List

Back