Why Is Greek Easter Different?

Are you orthoxox?

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
Or why is Orthodox Easter held at a different time? Every year I ask and every year I forget. Maybe someone here can explain why so I'll never forget again.

The orthodox church uses still the calendar since the reform of Julius Cesars - nearly the complete other rest of the christian worlds uses the gregorian calendar of the year 1582. That's why the date is different.

Tomorrow is Greek Easter. We're cooking a lamb outside of course. I didn't go to church this year. Hard to go when you know it's all a sham.

Who will miss you if you don't go or whatelse is your reason to do so? You are an englishspeaking Antitheist. What do you have to do with the christian traditions of the Orient? The orthodox Christians have more than enough murderous enemies.

IMG_0293.jpg

Christ is risen. Alleluja.

thumb_COLOURBOX6301810.jpg

Last edited:
It's very simple.

The widgets of the East don't believe in chocolate Easter bunnies.

Infidels.

Hey I'm an Orthodox Christian and the great thing is....we get to have the Easter chocolate bunnies and the chocolate Easter eggs TWICE :smoke:

Or why is Orthodox Easter held at a different time? Every year I ask and every year I forget. Maybe someone here can explain why so I'll never forget again.

The orthodox church uses still the calendar since the reform of Julius Cesars - nearly the complete other rest of the christian worlds uses the gregorian calendar of the year 1582. That's why the date is different.

Tomorrow is Greek Easter. We're cooking a lamb outside of course. I didn't go to church this year. Hard to go when you know it's all a sham.

It's Easter Day in all Orthodox Christianity....my Serbian and Russian friends texted me today to say Happy Easter....myself, I'm ex-Roman Catholic and confirmed Russian Orthodox in the ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia).

This is our Archbishop Mark:

Mark (Arndt) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I ask the same question every single year, and also get the answer, and then don't remember it.....I have aging as an excuse, but what is yours? :)
As far as I know [Russian] Orthodox Easter is always the first Sunday after the full moon between April 4th and May 5th. This year it will be May 1st.

And [Russian] Orthodox Christmas is always on January 7th, 13 days behind Catholic Christmas and according to Julian Calendar. I believe Orthodox Greeks celebrate it with Catholics according to Gregorian calendar.

Russian Orthodox is the best, we can have two Christmases and two Easters.

We have Christmas with the still Roman Catholic members of our family and friends and we have Easter with them also. Then as Russian Orthodox we get to do all of this a second time on both occasions.

It's Easter Day in all Orthodox Christianity....my Serbian and Russian friends texted me today to say Happy Easter....myself, I'm ex-Roman Catholic and confirmed Russian Orthodox in the ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia).

interesting! I'm from Russia, and this night we were on 6-hours mess in a church. That was as good as usual.

interesting! I'm from Russia, and this night we were on 6-hours mess in a church. That was as good as usual.

I know you're Russian....we're hoping to spend our second Christmas in St. Petersburg, we hope to get there on January 5th 2017. I have a very large family, I'm talking hundreds, 46 members at this time have been confirmed Russian Orthodox, I'm not sure if everyone is coming to St. Petersburg, if they are, the Russians needn't worry, we're a very well-mannered family :smoke:

Our first Christmas as usual in Salzburg.

I know you're Russian....we're hoping to spend our second Christmas in St. Petersburg, we hope to get there on January 5th 2017. I have a very large family, I'm talking hundreds, 46 members at this time have been confirmed Russian Orthodox, I'm not sure if everyone is coming to St. Petersburg, if they are, the Russians needn't worry, we're a very well-mannered family :smoke:

St. petersburg is the most european city in Russia. Hope you'll enjoy it, despite the usual cold weather at these days there. Moreover it may be interesting to visit some of the russian monasteries. For example Valaam: VALAAM Official site of the Valaam monastery

St. petersburg is the most european city in Russia. Hope you'll enjoy it, despite the usual cold weather at these days there. Moreover it may be interesting to visit some of the russian monasteries. For example Valaam: VALAAM Official site of the Valaam monastery

I've been to St. Petersburg before, an immensely beautiful and cultured city. I'll bookmark that link, visiting some Russian monasteries would be very interesting.

It's very simple.

The widgets of the East don't believe in chocolate Easter bunnies.

Infidels.

Hey I'm an Orthodox Christian and the great thing is....we get to have the Easter chocolate bunnies and the chocolate Easter eggs TWICE :smoke:

... and chocolate cigarettes BURNING :lol::badgrin:

We Buddhists wonder if Jesus achieved "rainbow body".

It's difficult to compare Buddhism and Christianity. In our deeds we are using often very similiar rules - for example to have compassion, to be patient and so on and so on - but in our thoughts we are using often completly different concepts. I guess "rainbow body" is somehow the identity of spirit and light. A body transforms into light. That's not not so easy to understand for me - but sounds not unfamiliar. In modern words I would say "information needs a carrier" - and I would also say information is neverthelless independent from the carrier. Wether someone writes a message on a stone or on leather, wood, paper or a CD makes not a big difference. On the other side it's not so easy to write a message in water or in light or in music or any other "floating substance". But in the end everything floats - panta rei. ...

When Jesus left us then nothing what had to do with his body stayed here on earth any longer. He left us completly with his ¿repaired, newborn, lightful? body after his death. He said he will go to heaven and will prepare there a new home for us and he will come back to bring us home - independent, wether we are dead or alive. I don't know who said it, but I heard we will get then also a new kind of body. They said this new body will be made out of light while our bodies here are made out of water.

I hope this information helps you.

goldenes-dornenkrone-38007375.jpg

02a.jpg

Last edited:
First, 'man' invented measuring 'time'. Then, 'man' took this for reality. Then, other 'men' measured 'time' differently.
For the true absurdity of being so involved with 'time', look up why 60 is used so much in its measure.

First, 'man' invented measuring 'time'. Then, 'man' took this for reality. Then, other 'men' measured 'time' differently.
For the true absurdity of being so involved with 'time', look up why 60 is used so much in its measure.

In London exists a clock - name: NPL-CsF2 - what has in 729.325.216 years a maximal devatiation of less than a second. And 60 is used im measurement of time because we are babylon. Better to say "baby-Babylon".

Last edited:

I've been to St. Petersburg before, an immensely beautiful and cultured city. I'll bookmark that link, visiting some Russian monasteries would be very interesting.
for you:

Forum List

Back