Why is FOX so dominant????

Why is FOX so dominant.........and more importantly, why are the cable ratings of news shows so out of balance relataive to the political make-up of the country????

You go look at the cable ratings of shows like "Countdown" on MSNBC, or "Maddow" on MSNBC or frankly any of the other shows on MSNBC or CNN.............they are so low its hysterical. According to CABLENews.com, anything less than 1 million viewers is "off the air" according to industry standards. They are a goof when compared to ANY news show on FOX!!!

But why???

I'll tell you exactly why..............and it proves my point exactly that if not for the dummies of the world, the Democratic party wouldnt get a sniff. In other words, Democrats would never be elected into any office without the majority of its voters being...........well, shall we say, simpletons??!!! How many of the people who go into a voting booth to vote for a Democrat understand economics or, for example, the necessary tradeoffs of government intervention in the marketplace. I'll tell you how many..........a very small percentage. The people watching MSNBC. Who are they? Again..........I'll tell you exactly who they are. People who watch MSNBC are ideologues and America haters. Its the same bunch who tune in every night..........and even that number is laughable. "Countdown"'s rating numbers are laughable. Regular programming with those #'s go off the air all the time. Meanwhile, somebody like Glenn Beck is now approaching 5 million viewers:eek:

Those who are naturally reasonable and view most things in life with a measure of common sense..........who do these people tune into? FOX:lol: People also know that anywhere else they go.......but especially places like MSNBC or CNN..........they are going to get the same canned sh!t they get on NBC, CBS, and ABC.

Thus, the domination of FOX s0ns:funnyface:

It must suck to tune in every night to shows like "The Rachael Maddow Show" and think to yourself, "Shit........everything she's saying is so on target!!! Then how come nobody watches this show and embraces these views??"

C'mon assholes...............most voters who pull the lever for Democrats need to be begged to go to the polls and many are actually driven there by fcukking bus!!! How many of them know about or have even heard about "porkbarrel spending" or "cap and trade"? If there is a giveaway to be had, THATS the guy they are voting for!!!:woohoo:

The independents who now know they've been bamboozled?

They're tuning in FOX s0ns!!!

Ive been saying this for awhile. This is also the reason why republican radio absolutely dominates, while lefty radio can barely stay afloat. Lefties arent interested in politics or events around the world, and they have no understanding of them either. Theyd rather just listen to music. All they know is to vote for the guy with the D next to his name, but they have no fucking clue what that politicians platform is about.

Sorry democrats, but your voting base is very uneducated and they dont understand what it takes to run a successful nation. Theyre all clueless.

Ahhh, it's the DEMOCRATS who are uneducated. Thanks for clearing that up.

3323660211_227ef28b6d.jpg

Theres a hell of alot more clueless uneducated democrats, than there are retarded republican christian fundamentalists. I doubt even 1% of the republican party is fundamentalists, but i bet 80% of democrats have no clue about economics or proper national security. You stupid fuckers think we can just sit down and talk to terrorists for chirst sake. :lol:

If you're speaking of the Fox Network, they simply have a lot of highly rated game, reality, comedy, and drama that draws a crowd. Their local news broadcasts are not much different than those found on ABC, NBC, CBS. They don't feature any national news programs.

If you listen carefully to what is supposed to be straight news reporting on MSNBC and CNN, you will find a decided bias.

You cannot find much if any bias on Fox News straight news reporting, but you do get all sides of all issues reported. And THAT is why Fox News has become the trusted news station for so many people.

Fox news magazine shows like the O'Reilly Factor, Hannity, and Beck are certainly right leaning and are the ONLY place you can find that kind of conservative viewpoint, and, since most Americans are right leaning, they all command a huge market share for their time slots.

For the life of me I cannot understand why Fox is so hated. I don't watch much MSNBC or CNN because I don't trust them to tell it like it really is. But I don't hate them and don't accuse those folks who watch them of being some kind of wingnuts or idiots or numbnuts. So it is interesting how non-Fox enthusiasts characterize the Fox audience. For me, it is just more evidence that the brainwashed feel terribly threatened by anything that challenges their point of view and therefore they must figuratively destroy it.

Why is FOX so dominant.........and more importantly, why are the cable ratings of news shows so out of balance relataive to the political make-up of Blah blah blah...

the country????

But why???

I'll tell you exactly why..............blah blah blah

Fox News is dominant for the same reason scripted "Reality TV is:" Sensationalism sells. :eusa_whistle:
Fox News: Scripted "Reality" TV since 1996:eusa_whistle:

If you're speaking of the Fox Network, they simply have a lot of highly rated game, reality, comedy, and drama that draws a crowd. Their local news broadcasts are not much different than those found on ABC, NBC, CBS. They don't feature any national news programs.

If you listen carefully to what is supposed to be straight news reporting on MSNBC and CNN, you will find a decided bias.

You cannot find much if any bias on Fox News straight news reporting, but you do get all sides of all issues reported. And THAT is why Fox News has become the trusted news station for so many people.
I stopped reading here. Reality check? :smoke:

Did anyone catch the irony or is that idiocy of this OP? I thought media was 'liberal' and thus brainwashing the dupes, could it be that media is really conservative - or as I prefer corporatist - and the real dupes watch Fox as it gives them the pablum they require. Simple ideas for the simple minded. "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." So said Winston Churchill, boy and Fox didn't even exist then. But media can only be conservatives as it is corporate owned, operated, and controlled. If you ever see stories about the poor or the working poor, working conditions, outsourcing, corporate irresponsibility, the gap between rich and poor, and actually see it, then you will probably be asleep and dreaming. Corporate memes are written into the minds of the wingnuts since FDR/Goldwater/Reagan, forgive them they know not what else to think.

"So if you go on Fox News -- 'fair and balanced' -- two liberals, two conservatives, and one commentator who is asking the questions, and the question is, 'Are you in favor of the President's tax relief program or are you against it'' -- it doesn't matter what you say. If you say, 'I'm against tax relief,' you're still evoking that framing. You're still in their frame, and all that it automatically brings with it: what kinds of policies are good, who is bad, and so on. That's how Fox News works. It frames the issues from a conservative perspective. Once the issue is framed, if you accept the framing, if you accept the language, it's all over." George Lakoff

George Lakoff tells how conservatives use language to dominate politics

'Why do conservatives appear to be so much better at framing'

"Because they've put billions of dollars into it. Over the last 30 years their think tanks have made a heavy investment in ideas and in language. In 1970, [Supreme Court Justice] Lewis Powell wrote a fateful memo to the National Chamber of Commerce saying that all of our best students are becoming anti-business because of the Vietnam War, and that we needed to do something about it. Powell's agenda included getting wealthy conservatives to set up professorships, setting up institutes on and off campus where intellectuals would write books from a conservative business perspective, and setting up think tanks. He outlined the whole thing in 1970. They set up the Heritage Foundation in 1973, and the Manhattan Institute after that. [There are many others, including the American Enterprise Institute and the Hoover Institute at Stanford, which date from the 1940s.]"

See. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Hands-Making-Conservative-Movement/dp/0393059308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247845984&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Invisible Hands: The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan (9780393059304): Kim Phillips-Fein: Books[/ame] "Historian Phillips-Fein traces the hidden history of the Reagan revolution to a coterie of business executives, including General Electric official and Reagan mentor Lemuel Boulware, who saw labor unions, government regulation, high taxes and welfare spending as dire threats to their profits and power. From the 1930s onward, the author argues, they provided the money, organization and fervor for a decades-long war against New Deal liberalism—funding campaigns, think tanks, magazines and lobbying groups, and indoctrinating employees in the virtues of unfettered capitalism."

I don't consider FOX News the best in terms of accurate news reporting. And while I do enjoy watching O'Reilly, he's not exactly fair and balanced: he steamrolls anyone who doesn't agree with him even though he gives them "the last word." I watch FOX News because it's not as bad as CNN and is a helluva lot better than MSNBC, et al.

I think it comes down to several simple television principles:

FOX simply knows how to market itself better than the other networks. It's well-integrated into the entertainment and sports industries, and this gives it a huge advantage over the other networks. It's a matter of branding, advertisement and image-building. FOX is innovative: it was the one that came up with the little updates that scroll across the bottom of the screen, the news alerts, etc. And you can't beat the FOX News babes. The other networks copycatted FOX.

No doubt there's also quality, but I don't see it as a huge gap. To be fair, the other networks are competitive when it comes to chasing down the big stories. It's not the quality of the news story but the presentation that makes all the difference. FOX is better at presentation than the other networks.

I think CNN is still reeling from Baghdad Pete. And I'm not saying that Peter Arnett is a bad person. His news reporting from Baghdad during the first Gulf War was commendable. However, in the minds of most Americans, I think the perception is that he was one step away from committing treason, and that's unfortunate. He was doing his job under some very unique circumstances. Still, IMHO, I think that little episode left an indelible stain on the perception of CNN's objectivity.

I think it's pretty shallow thinking to look at it in terms of Democrat vs. Republican; left vs. right; liberal vs. conservative. I think it's all about scooping the other networks, and in this regard, FOX has been greatly successful. It's also all about marketing, and, again, FOX has been greatly successful in reinforcing the perception that the other networks are biased while FOX is fair and balanced.

And I think that Obama has also contributed to FOX News popularity by singling it out and waging his own personal war against the organization. It backfired big time. Rather than outcasting FOX News, he made it more popular because now viewers began to wonder if FOX News was the one organization that was a step away from revealing the next Watergate-type story while the other news organizations were either bought off, intimidated or otherwise swayed to not rock the boat.

I think the basic network news (ABC, NBC, CBS) were out of the running a long, long time ago when CNN initially burst into the scene. The major networks simply cannot compete with the news networks.

I'd like to point outfox news has many more black commentators than MSNBC. just saying. so the race pimps like rdean should probably stop being racist and accept the facts.

I don't consider FOX News the best in terms of accurate news reporting. And while I do enjoy watching O'Reilly, he's not exactly fair and balanced: he steamrolls anyone who doesn't agree with him even though he gives them "the last word." I watch FOX News because it's not as bad as CNN and is a helluva lot better than MSNBC, et al.

FOX simply knows how to market itself better than the other networks. It's well-integrated into the entertainment and sports industries, and this gives it a huge advantage over the other networks. It's a matter of branding, advertisement and image-building. FOX is innovative: it was the one that came up with the little updates that scroll across the bottom of the screen, the news alerts, etc. And you can't beat the FOX News babes. The other networks copycatted FOX.

No doubt there's also quality, but I don't see it as a huge gap. To be fair, the other networks are competitive when it comes to chasing down the big stories. It's not the quality of the news story but the presentation that makes all the difference. FOX is better at presentation than the other networks.

I think CNN is still reeling from Baghdad Pete. And I'm not saying that Peter Arnett is a bad person. His news reporting from Baghdad during the first Gulf War was commendable. However, in the minds of most Americans, I think the perception is that he was one step away from committing treason, and that's unfortunate. He was doing his job under some very unique circumstances. Still, IMHO, I think that little episode left an indelible stain on the perception of CNN's objectivity.

I think it's pretty shallow thinking to look at it in terms of Democrat vs. Republican; left vs. right; liberal vs. conservative. I think it's all about scooping the other networks, and in this regard, FOX has been greatly successful. It's also all about marketing, and, again, FOX has been greatly successful in reinforcing the perception that the other networks are biased while FOX is fair and balanced.

And I think that Obama has also contributed to FOX News popularity by singling it out and waging his own personal war against the organization. It backfired big time. Rather than outcasting FOX News, he made it more popular because now viewers began to wonder if FOX News was the one organization that was a step away from revealing the next Watergate-type story while the other news organizations were either bought off, intimidated or otherwise swayed to not rock the boat.

I think the basic network news (ABC, NBC, CBS) were out of the running a long, long time ago when CNN initially burst into the scene. The major networks simply cannot compete with the news networks.

All good points in my opinion. I do disagree that Fox is not the most accurate, however, or at least not more accurate than any of the others. It is true that they report erroneously just like all newscasts do, but that is because they all now report information as they receive it on unfolding news stories and then correct that information as new facts come in. I deplore that method of reporting, but since they all do it and that is what the public seems to expect, Fox more or less has to go along with it. And I guess Americans are smart enough to take it all with a grain of salt because they know what is initially reported will likely be amended or corrected later.

The reason that Fox is more accurate, and more trusted, than the others is because they give both/all sides of each story, and not the side the promotes an ideological point of view or is most favorable to a person they wish to promote.

It is important to distinguish the straight news reporting on all news sources from commentary shows such as O'Reilly, Hannity, Beck, VanSustern, Maddox, etc.

Of those commentary shows, I love Beck because he takes time fully develops thoughts and does not talk over the people he interviews. Actually Rachel is pretty good in that respect too. I get really frustrated with O'Reilly and Hannity's shows because everybody is talking at once and it just becomes silly noise. So, I listen in to their opening points which are usually pretty good and mostly skip the rest.

All good points in my opinion. I do disagree that Fox is not the most accurate, however, or at least not more accurate than any of the others.
Of course. They share your political ideology. Of course they're most accurate to you. Preaching to the choir?
It is true that they report erroneously just like all newscasts do,
Often by mistake.
but that is because they all now report information as they receive it on unfolding news stories and then correct that information as new facts come in. I deplore that method of reporting, but since they all do it and that is what the public seems to expect, Fox more or less has to go along with it.
Oh yes, it's the public shaping Fox, not the other way around.
And I guess Americans are smart enough to take it all with a grain of salt because they know what is initially reported will likely be amended or corrected later.
Or never. Depends on if they're called out enough.
The reason that Fox is more accurate, and more trusted, than the others is because they give both/all sides of each story, and not the side the promotes an ideological point of view or is most favorable to a person they wish to promote.
Sarah Palin seems to be doing pretty well, no thanks to Fox News I imagine.
It is important to distinguish the straight news reporting on all news sources from commentary shows such as O'Reilly, Hannity, Beck, VanSustern, Maddox, etc.
Yes, it is.
Of those commentary shows, I love Beck because he takes time fully develops thoughts and does not talk over the people he interviews.
Fully develop thoughts? So did the Unabomber. Doesn't make him any less insane. :lol:
Actually Rachel is pretty good in that respect too. I get really frustrated with O'Reilly and Hannity's shows because everybody is talking at once and it just becomes silly noise. So, I listen in to their opening points which are usually pretty good and mostly skip the rest.
Ok.

Did anyone catch the irony or is that idiocy of this OP? I thought media was 'liberal' and thus brainwashing the dupes, could it be that media is really conservative - or as I prefer corporatist - and the real dupes watch Fox as it gives them the pablum they require. Simple ideas for the simple minded.

Maybe they watch Fox to piss off the people that call them "dupes" and "simple minded."

Just sayin'

Did anyone catch the irony or is that idiocy of this OP? I thought media was 'liberal' and thus brainwashing the dupes, could it be that media is really conservative - or as I prefer corporatist - and the real dupes watch Fox as it gives them the pablum they require. Simple ideas for the simple minded.

Maybe they watch Fox to piss off the people that call them "dupes" and "simple minded."

Just sayin'

Ooh they sure showed them!:lol:

Ive been saying this for awhile. This is also the reason why republican radio absolutely dominates, while lefty radio can barely stay afloat. Lefties arent interested in politics or events around the world, and they have no understanding of them either. Theyd rather just listen to music. All they know is to vote for the guy with the D next to his name, but they have no fucking clue what that politicians platform is about.

Sorry democrats, but your voting base is very uneducated and they dont understand what it takes to run a successful nation. Theyre all clueless.

Theres a hell of alot more clueless uneducated democrats, than there are retarded republican christian fundamentalists. I doubt even 1% of the republican party is fundamentalists, but i bet 80% of democrats have no clue about economics or proper national security. You stupid fuckers think we can just sit down and talk to terrorists for chirst sake. :lol:

Satire, right?

You mean Fox doesn't send you guys a check every month? Just go to their web site and online file for their paid viewer program. You just have to prove your actually a conservative. The tab is hard to see.

I've heard of cutting off your nose to spite your face, but tuning in to Fox to stifle your mind?

The viewers of fox News must secretly loathe themselves.:cuckoo:

You mean Fox doesn't send you guys a check every month? Just go to their web site and online file for their paid viewer program. You just have to prove your actually a conservative. The tab is hard to see.

Geez don't tell em that. They have no sense of humor and they'll take you literally and will be quoting you as fact on the next thread.

Why is FOX so dominant.........and more importantly, why are the cable ratings of news shows so out of balance relataive to the political make-up of the country????

You go look at the cable ratings of shows like "Countdown" on MSNBC, or "Maddow" on MSNBC or frankly any of the other shows on MSNBC or CNN.............they are so low its hysterical. According to CABLENews.com, anything less than 1 million viewers is "off the air" according to industry standards. They are a goof when compared to ANY news show on FOX!!!

But why???

I'll tell you exactly why..............and it proves my point exactly that if not for the dummies of the world, the Democratic party wouldnt get a sniff. In other words, Democrats would never be elected into any office without the majority of its voters being...........well, shall we say, simpletons??!!! How many of the people who go into a voting booth to vote for a Democrat understand economics or, for example, the necessary tradeoffs of government intervention in the marketplace. I'll tell you how many..........a very small percentage. The people watching MSNBC. Who are they? Again..........I'll tell you exactly who they are. People who watch MSNBC are ideologues and America haters. Its the same bunch who tune in every night..........and even that number is laughable. "Countdown"'s rating numbers are laughable. Regular programming with those #'s go off the air all the time. Meanwhile, somebody like Glenn Beck is now approaching 5 million viewers:eek:

Those who are naturally reasonable and view most things in life with a measure of common sense..........who do these people tune into? FOX:lol: People also know that anywhere else they go.......but especially places like MSNBC or CNN..........they are going to get the same canned sh!t they get on NBC, CBS, and ABC.

Thus, the domination of FOX s0ns:funnyface:

It must suck to tune in every night to shows like "The Rachael Maddow Show" and think to yourself, "Shit........everything she's saying is so on target!!! Then how come nobody watches this show and embraces these views??"

C'mon assholes...............most voters who pull the lever for Democrats need to be begged to go to the polls and many are actually driven there by fcukking bus!!! How many of them know about or have even heard about "porkbarrel spending" or "cap and trade"? If there is a giveaway to be had, THATS the guy they are voting for!!!:woohoo:

The independents who now know they've been bamboozled?

Lets clear it up some more for ya' there, Rbean!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1KOBMg1Y8]YouTube - How Obama Got Elected... Interviews With Obama Voters[/ame]
And then there's this lil' gem from a dem:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI&feature=related]YouTube - Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!![/ame]

And of course, any further proof necessary is provided every time YOU post!

Geez don't tell em that. They have no sense of humor and they'll take you literally and will be quoting you as fact on the next thread.

:eusa_shhh:

I is a bad, bad man. :cool:

Lets clear it up some more for ya' there, Rbean!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1KOBMg1Y8]YouTube - How Obama Got Elected... Interviews With Obama Voters[/ame]
And then there's this lil' gem from a dem:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI&feature=related]YouTube - Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!![/ame]

And of course, any further proof necessary is provided every time YOU post!

So that one woman's sentiment is the sole reason Obama got elected?:cuckoo:

I'll concede that selecting Palin as his running mate swayed independents away from McCain. :lol:

Did anyone catch the irony or is that idiocy of this OP? I thought media was 'liberal' and thus brainwashing the dupes, could it be that media is really conservative - or as I prefer corporatist - and the real dupes watch Fox as it gives them the pablum they require. Simple ideas for the simple minded. "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." So said Winston Churchill, boy and Fox didn't even exist then. But media can only be conservatives as it is corporate owned, operated, and controlled. If you ever see stories about the poor or the working poor, working conditions, outsourcing, corporate irresponsibility, the gap between rich and poor, and actually see it, then you will probably be asleep and dreaming. Corporate memes are written into the minds of the wingnuts since FDR/Goldwater/Reagan, forgive them they know not what else to think.

"So if you go on Fox News -- 'fair and balanced' -- two liberals, two conservatives, and one commentator who is asking the questions, and the question is, 'Are you in favor of the President's tax relief program or are you against it'' -- it doesn't matter what you say. If you say, 'I'm against tax relief,' you're still evoking that framing. You're still in their frame, and all that it automatically brings with it: what kinds of policies are good, who is bad, and so on. That's how Fox News works. It frames the issues from a conservative perspective. Once the issue is framed, if you accept the framing, if you accept the language, it's all over." George Lakoff

George Lakoff tells how conservatives use language to dominate politics

'Why do conservatives appear to be so much better at framing'

"Because they've put billions of dollars into it. Over the last 30 years their think tanks have made a heavy investment in ideas and in language. In 1970, [Supreme Court Justice] Lewis Powell wrote a fateful memo to the National Chamber of Commerce saying that all of our best students are becoming anti-business because of the Vietnam War, and that we needed to do something about it. Powell's agenda included getting wealthy conservatives to set up professorships, setting up institutes on and off campus where intellectuals would write books from a conservative business perspective, and setting up think tanks. He outlined the whole thing in 1970. They set up the Heritage Foundation in 1973, and the Manhattan Institute after that. [There are many others, including the American Enterprise Institute and the Hoover Institute at Stanford, which date from the 1940s.]"

See. Amazon.com: Invisible Hands: The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan (9780393059304): Kim Phillips-Fein: Books "Historian Phillips-Fein traces the hidden history of the Reagan revolution to a coterie of business executives, including General Electric official and Reagan mentor Lemuel Boulware, who saw labor unions, government regulation, high taxes and welfare spending as dire threats to their profits and power. From the 1930s onward, the author argues, they provided the money, organization and fervor for a decades-long war against New Deal liberalism—funding campaigns, think tanks, magazines and lobbying groups, and indoctrinating employees in the virtues of unfettered capitalism."
You provide a quote from GEORGE LAKOFF and you expect to be taken seriously?

Fuckin' LMAO!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Christ, Obamabots are fuckin' idiots!:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back