Why is foreign policy experience so important in a Vice President?

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
In the last fifty or sixty years, how many Presidents have we elected with Foriegn Policy experience. One. George H.W. Bush, Eisenhower, and Nixon. LBJ ascended to office by default That is it. Clinton, Reagan, Carter, Bush 43, and Kennedy had no prior foreign policy experience, yet we are holding a Vice Presidential candidate to a higher standard than we have held Presidential candidates. Why is that? Is it because she is a woman? Is it because she is pretty? It can't have anything to do with her so called "extremist" ideals, because their are those on the left that were considered extremist in their day that turned out to be foreign policy geniuses(ie. Adlai Stevenson). So somebody tell me what I am missing.

Why are we are holding a Vice Presidential candidate to a higher standard than we have held Presidential candidates?

I guess if that argument had been made on behalf of Obama, that his lack of foreign policy experience didnt' really matter, this would fly.

however, much was made of Obama's lack of experience so much must be made of Palin's too. Why, you ask? Because she is next in line to become President behind a man who is 72 years old and a five time cancer survivor. He's showing signs of mental instability so I think it's safe to say the chances of her having to take the reigns are better than average.

Well in McCain's case it's very important, I believe that he is about three heart beats from deaths bed.

I guess if that argument had been made on behalf of Obama, that his lack of foreign policy experience didnt' really matter, this would fly.

however, much was made of Obama's lack of experience so much must be made of Palin's too. Why, you ask? Because she is next in line to become President behind a man who is 72 years old and a five time cancer survivor. He's showing signs of mental instability so I think it's safe to say the chances of her having to take the reigns are better than average.

Actually, I don't think I ever used the word experience. What other people do doesn't much matter to me.

I just think she's vapid. And yes, I think there is a very good chance that if McCain is elected, she would be taking the reins. I think SHE thinks so, too, since she slipped and called it a "palin - mccain administration". And even if he were 15 years younger, she'd still have a 20% chance of becoming president since, according to Doris Kearns Goodwin, that's the percentage of VEEP's who have become president after a resignation or death of a president.

All cop outs. McCain and Obama are running for President. If McCain is elected, we might get Palin by default. This doen't matter per the question. Why the double standard. As for Russia and Georgia, I think she understood the issue just fine. Her on the spot course of action showed inexperience but not a lack of understanding. And as for the Bush Doctine, nobody understands it. I can't blame her for not being able to answer questions on it. Hell, Rove can't even answer questions on it and he fuckin wrote most of it.

Actually, I don't think I ever used the word experience. What other people do doesn't much matter to me.

sorry, I wasn't address you jillian...I was addressing the OP...

I don't necessarily think the experience matters as much as like Jillian said the KNOWLEDGE.... the woman is a dumb as a post it would seem when it comes to foreign policy and relations.

All cop outs. McCain and Obama are running for President. If McCain is elected, we might get Palin by default. This doen't matter per the question. Why the double standard. As for Russia and Georgia, I think she understood the issue just fine. Her on the spot course of action showed inexperience but not a lack of understanding. And as for the Bush Doctine, nobody understands it. I can't blame her for not being able to answer questions on it. Hell, Rove can't even answer questions on it and he fuckin wrote most of it.

Oh pooh... the Bush doctrine is a doctrine of pre-emptive strike.

There... not too complicated, right?

Why should she be held to a lesser standard when there is a good chance she is going to be president?

sorry, I wasn't address you jillian...I was addressing the OP...

I don't necessarily think the experience matters as much as like Jillian said the KNOWLEDGE.... the woman is a dumb as a post it would seem when it comes to foreign policy and relations.

oops...sorry. lol...

and i agree... notwithstanding that she can see Russia from her house.

Why should she be held to a lesser standard when there is a good chance she is going to be president?

Not a lesser standard, a double standard.

That would be because Obama will actually be making the decisions. What signs of mental instability would you be refering?

Not a lesser standard, a double standard.

I don't think it's a double standard. In fact, I think she's gotten off really easy. I just also think she's really incompetent to fill the role of president.

Sorry... no offense intended. I just think she was a huge F.U. from McCain.

I do think she's backfiring, though... or at least a non-entity... given the current economic circumstances.

sounds like someone is digging for an excuse to cry sexism. Apparently, that is all the GOP platform seems to amount to these days.

I said it the first week out.. Palin will be a Meyers-like albatross by early to mid October.

Jillian Wrote:

Oh pooh yourself, :)
If we had posted the question, "What is the Bush Doctrine" the day before Palin's interview with Charlie Gibson, we would have gotten about 40 different answers...all from people who are VERY politically astute. Yes, many of us would have said "pre-emptive strike," others would have said, "if you support or passively condone terrorism - we may come after you," some might have said, "freedom and liberty will be the solution to religious extremist attacks," etc.

You can hate Sarah Palin all you want...she was not at the top of my VP pick list and I haven't been impressed with her yet as VP nominee...but we all need to hold on to some intellectual honesty here about the fact that Gibson was wrong to try to assert that the definition of the Bush Doctrine that HE wanted to use was the ONLY definition.

Overall, however...I think the question for voters regarding experience is simply going to come down to - Do you trust the inexperienced candidate who WILL be president if you vote for his side...as opposed to the inexperienced candidate who MAY be president if you vote for her side.

All in all, I think that this is a bit of a bullshit issue. I don't believe for a second that Obama supporters here were seriously considering McCain until he chose Palin...and now they switched sides. And I dont think that McCain supporters jumped to Obama because McCain picked a VP candidate they didn't like.

I don't think it's a double standard. In fact, I think she's gotten off really easy. I just also think she's really incompetent to fill the role of president.

Sorry... no offense intended. I just think she was a huge F.U. from McCain.

I do think she's backfiring, though... or at least a non-entity... given the current economic circumstances.

Sorry babe, having your daughter called a whore in front of the entire world is not getting off easy. Nobody and I mean nobody is dgging into Biden the way they are digging into Palin.

You could be correct though, she is backfiring due to the economy going into meltdown. Unless she comes out with some wicked ideas on what to do about the economy, then the GOP is screwed.

Sorry babe, having your daughter called a whore in front of the entire world is not getting off easy. Nobody and I mean nobody is dgging into Biden the way they are digging into Palin.

You could be correct though, she is backfiring due to the economy going into meltdown. Unless she comes out with some wicked ideas on what to do about the economy, then the GOP is screwed.
Who called her daughter a whore? No one.

McCain is old. Palin is a podunk doofus from Alaska with almost no qualification.

Well, this is going to be one of those things we'll have to agree to disagree on, counselor. But truth is, there were a lot more whining going on ABOUT her being picked on. I think, although it was satire, that the SNL skit got it right. Maybe they *should* ask her about dinosaurs. ;) (j/k...)

And I don't recall anyone calling her daughter a whore...though they DID say that apparently abstinence only education doesn't work...

I do think McCain hurt the GOP chances very badly this week on economic issues. He looked like he was floundering while Obama sounded like the voice of reason.

And perception is everything. I have been convinced that the debates will seal the deal for one or the other.... The fact that McCain is now trying to stop those debates sounds pretty wussy given the current circumstances.

Well, this is going to be one of those things we'll have to agree to disagree on, counselor. But truth is, there were a lot more whining going on ABOUT her being picked on. I think, although it was satire, that the SNL skit got it right. Maybe they *should* ask her about dinosaurs. ;) (j/k...)

And I don't recall anyone calling her daughter a whore...though they DID say that apparently abstinence only education doesn't work...

I do think McCain hurt the GOP chances very badly this week on economic issues. He looked like he was floundering while Obama sounded like the voice of reason.

And perception is everything. I have been convinced that the debates will seal the deal for one or the other.... The fact that McCain is now trying to stop those debates sounds pretty wussy given the current circumstances.

Agree to disagree, I'll take what I can I get. :D

Forum List

Back