Why is everyone waiting for government to fix our problems?

alupka

Oct 28, 2008
The problem isn't with McCain or Obama (as I have great respect for both candidates), but with the American people.

Somewhere along the line we decided the American dream just isn't worth the effort...or at least, not on our part.

This is my simple political assessment of where we are today: There are more poor people (votes for communism) than successful rich people (votes for capitalism and the American Dream). The poor people know it’s not fair to steal the money from the rich, but they don’t care as long as they are the recipients. Why work hard to earn your money and success if you can get it for free at the expense of those who did?

End result: Obama ’08 and the birth of communist America.

This will be the death of America. Not because I don’t like Obama, but because it just killed the one incentive that made America great in the first place. It’s the same reason the Soviet Union collapsed at the height of the cold war, and the same reason all the people here in “communist” China are poor…and the same reason our economy back home is in ruin—because everyone wants to live on credit or at the expense of someone else (banks, credit cards, and now rich people and government), instead of taking responsibility for themselves and actually earning what they get.

So now, instead of teaching my children if they work hard enough they will be rewarded for their success, I’ll have to explain to them why they're being punished for achieving their goals—because the government will take half their money and give it to everyone else who didn’t do a damn thing…or else waste it on more failed government programs like social security and public education.

Good job America. In your pursuit to achieve that fantasy of a utopian dream, you have just crucified the foundation of the American dream. What was once “a government of the people, by the people, and for the people” is now a communist country where the government controls the wealth of individuals. And while you may or may not get that government welfare check, you can rest assured that your grandchildren will be reading about American greatness in their Chinese or Islamic history books.

I should tell you the same thing you told us for 8 years while George Bush and Tom Delay & Co. fucked up America.

You are just a bunch of whiners.

No seriously. The Republican party ran wild for 6 straight years, unchecked, and everything they did led us to this.

In fact, I think just like the Iraq war was a made up imminent threat, so was the bailout. The rich people that really own this country decided to rob us of $700 billion on their way out.

Now that we are going to replace their lapdog (bush), you want to assume the guy WE ELECTED is going to ruin America? We are not that stupid.

You clearly don't understand what happened the last 8 years. Keep watching Fox News.

Clinton was great. The Clinton era was great. It did not bring in Communism. You are a joke.

This is my simple political assessment of where we are today: There are more poor people (votes for communism) than successful rich people (votes for capitalism and the American Dream).

Yes. If only there weren't so many poor people, then the Republicans would win.

How can we get rid of poor people? Starvation's too slow. Concentration camps are politically incorrect...

I've got it! We'll redistribute the wealth! Then the GOP can win again! Break out the vodka rations, comrades!

people are waiting for the government to function...what they dont realize is the government no longer serves the people but is just keeping itself alive at all costs. there are no men of honor on either side...just vampires sucking the life out of the system....the ones at top are just as bad as the ones at the bottom..the middle class is gone and forgotten...we ask men/women to die in wars but at home we are unwilling to do anything...give something up for the cause bullshit thats now seen as total unneeded. we have become a nation of panty waists...who want more now...without thoughts of the future. we are more than willing to take on debt for new plasma tvs and atvs but then balk at paying the debt. we raised a generation of weak kids who think they should be given it all...lay it at the feet of baby boomers who voted themselves more entitlements than any one could afford....but we are the power...and have always been...now we are paying for our indulgences....and generations beyond us will continue to pay

It just brought in terrorism

actually that was the great loser Ronald Reagan.

who thought it was just peachy to bargain with terrorists

then add in disciple George the first who left U.S. troops in Saudi - the actual reason OBL attacked us.

no doubt though.

the suv driving, applebee eating, joe the suburbanite american needs living beyong their means...

What is Congress' approval rating? 9%?

Yet they will fix healthcare, SS, and every other problem we have....LOL

The people who think the government is going to fix all of our problems are sadly misinformed.

I should tell you the same thing you told us for 8 years while George Bush and Tom Delay & Co. fucked up America.
Yeah, that's right, I get it, it's all Bush's fault. It's all the government's fault. Congratulations, you just proved the original point of the post.

And by the way, I didn't tell you anything for 8 years. I'm not a republican.

You are just a bunch of whiners.
And your ridiculous reply is sophisticated dialectic?? Stop whining about bush and the republicans and believing everything you watch on CNN. Or don't. Whatever.

Yeah, that's right, I get it, it's all Bush's fault. It's all the government's fault. Congratulations, you just proved the original point of the post.

And your ridiculous reply is sophisticated dialectic?? Stop whining about bush and the republicans and believing everything you watch on CNN. Or don't. Whatever.

You just joined these boards? I've been THIS into politics since Bush 1 was in office. Just because you are under informed on exactly what the GOP did between 2000-2006, doesn't mean I'm a conspiracy nut. It means you sat around with the rest of the sheeple and let it happen. Now the shit has hit the fan and it's 1 week before the election and you want to try to catch up? Good luck. :cuckoo:

For 8 years on a daily basis I would email news to my friends titled, "look what the republicans are doing now". And it was stuff like "republicans give tax breaks to companies going overseas",

People like me were telling people like you that the housing crash was coming, or that wages were going down and the GOP was lying and saying the economy was strong and wages were going up. They were using their fuzzy math. So the bottom line is, I was right and they were lying to us. And people that defend Bush always try to fall back on the argument that the president/government doesn't have that much to do with the economy. And that is about the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. They can and often do have EVERYTHING to do with it.

And you still probably think the Republicans are conservative, or fiscally responsible. I got news for you honey. This isn't your fathers Republican party.

I'm glad to hear you are not a republican. Your post must have let me to believe you were. Sorry.

Here is another great read for you:

ThomHartmann.com - Democracy - Not "The Free Market" - Will Save America's Middle Class

1. There is no such thing as a "free market."

2. The "middle class" is the creation of government intervention in the marketplace, and won't exist without it (as millions of Americans and Europeans are discovering).

The conservative belief in "free markets" is a bit like the Catholic Church's insistence that the Earth was at the center of the Solar System in the Twelfth Century. It's widely believed by those in power, those who challenge it are branded heretics and ridiculed, and it is wrong.

In actual fact, there is no such thing as a "free market." Markets are the creation of government.

Governments provide a stable currency to make markets possible. They provide a legal infrastructure and court systems to enforce the contracts that make markets possible. They provide educated workforces through public education, and those workers show up at their places of business after traveling on public roads, rails, or airways provided by government. Businesses that use the "free market" are protected by police and fire departments provided by government, and send their communications - from phone to fax to internet - over lines that follow public rights-of-way maintained and protected by government.

The problem isn't with McCain or Obama (as I have great respect for both candidates), but with the American people.

Somewhere along the line we decided the American dream just isn't worth the effort...or at least, not on our part.

This is my simple political assessment of where we are today: There are more poor people (votes for communism) than successful rich people (votes for capitalism and the American Dream). The poor people know it’s not fair to steal the money from the rich, but they don’t care as long as they are the recipients. Why work hard to earn your money and success if you can get it for free at the expense of those who did?

End result: Obama ’08 and the birth of communist America.

This will be the death of America. Not because I don’t like Obama, but because it just killed the one incentive that made America great in the first place. It’s the same reason the Soviet Union collapsed at the height of the cold war, and the same reason all the people here in “communist” China are poor…and the same reason our economy back home is in ruin—because everyone wants to live on credit or at the expense of someone else (banks, credit cards, and now rich people and government), instead of taking responsibility for themselves and actually earning what they get.

So now, instead of teaching my children if they work hard enough they will be rewarded for their success, I’ll have to explain to them why they're being punished for achieving their goals—because the government will take half their money and give it to everyone else who didn’t do a damn thing…or else waste it on more failed government programs like social security and public education.

Good job America. In your pursuit to achieve that fantasy of a utopian dream, you have just crucified the foundation of the American dream. What was once “a government of the people, by the people, and for the people” is now a communist country where the government controls the wealth of individuals. And while you may or may not get that government welfare check, you can rest assured that your grandchildren will be reading about American greatness in their Chinese or Islamic history books.

Nice Post, Welcome to the Board Alupka :)

You just joined these boards? I've been THIS into politics since Bush 1 was in office. Just because you are under informed on exactly what the GOP did between 2000-2006, doesn't mean I'm a conspiracy nut. It means you sat around with the rest of the sheeple and let it happen. Now the shit has hit the fan and it's 1 week before the election and you want to try to catch up? Good luck. :cuckoo:

That's right, I'm new to this board so I must be new to politics...yeah, that's liberal logic for ya! :cuckoo:

You do make me laugh though, so keep the posts coming! :lol:

That's right, I'm new to this board so I must be new to politics...yeah, that's liberal logic for ya! :cuckoo:

You do make me laugh though, so keep the posts coming! :lol:

I'm assuming you are new to politics based on the stuff you are saying.

But seriously, welcome to the boards. Yes, I have been drinking the Obama coolaid for almost 11 months now and I can't wait for it to be over.

Thanks. And for the record, I don't oppose your guy. My original post was intended to be on a more general level regarding the death of personal responsibility in American culture. Maybe I should have changed the title.:cool:

actually that was the great loser Ronald Reagan.

who thought it was just peachy to bargain with terrorists

then add in disciple George the first who left U.S. troops in Saudi - the actual reason OBL attacked us.

Reagan destroyed our most lethal enemy the Soviet Union....perhaps you weren't alive back then, but I certainly remember the threat....

The UN voted to have us go in sport....know your history.....or perhaps you are one of those jackasses who thinks that no matter what the US does, we are in the wrong....

actually, ronald reagan, with his lebanon incident where jihaders killed 230 marines and reagan did NOTHING is where it began...imo.

And yet, the Iranians released the hostages the day before Reagan's inauguration.....

Forum List

Back