Why is every show a reality show nowdays?

I have a confession to make. I think I'm becoming addicted to a reality show. Check that. I am addicted to it.

It's Toddlers and Tiaras. If you haven't seen it, it's about beauty pageants for little kids, primarily girls. Don't get me wrong either. I'm not some closet pedophile getting my kicks looking at 4-year-old girls made up to look like mini hookers or anything. Nothing of the sort. It's their mothers that I'm intrigued with, but not in any good or positive way. Quite the contrary as I'd climb through the TV screen to get at them if I could and strangle the life out of most of them for what they put their poor kids through to "compete." There really ought to be some kind of investigation of these women because a lot of it is outright child abuse in my opinion.

You have to see it to believe it.

Because it is faaaaaaaaaaaaar cheaper to produce a "reality" shows where there are no $million per episode actors, expensive sets, special effects etc.
That - and for shows like American Idol and X-Factor - the ad revenues are in the stratosphere.
They are doing it - because Americans watch it.

Because Americans are morons who tune out anything that requires thought. Every time a network puts on some good programming it gets cancelled. As a result were stuck with Big Brother and several piles of crap squeezed out by J.J. Abrams

Hands down the best TV show in the past 10 years...Canadian show "Trailer Park Boys"...due to MAJOR language used - it is only available in America on Netflix.
NOT SAFE FOR WORK.......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etkarB72RbE]Best of Trailer Park Boys - YouTube[/ame]

There is going to be one about two women who fit women for Bra's.

Damn.

Damn.

I saw that infomercial. The Ahh Bra I think it is called.

I like the vacuum infomercials best. I have lots of bowling balls in my carpet to clean up.

Last edited:

Damn.

I like the vacuum infomercials best. I have lots of bowling balls in my carpet to clean up.

No No...I am speaking of an entire show that involves fitting women for bra's. That is the concept of the entire reality show, not an informercial.

Reality TV is like junk food. If I even take a peek while surfing the channels it is hard to not see the show to the end. I did that with the show Bridezillas. What a pathetic "stop me please" riot that show was.

Damn.

No No...I am speaking of an entire show that involves fitting women for bra's. That is the concept of the entire reality show, not an informercial.

Scary thought isn't it?
Reality bra fittings.
From the looks of it, some of those slings could smuggle a couple of infants across a border.

When will we see one for jock straps?

Scary thought isn't it?
Reality bra fittings.
From the looks of it, some of those slings could smuggle a couple of infants across a border.

When will we see one for jock straps?
the way things are going, you might get that show. They sort of have of already though. It's called the bachelor. ::)

Because that's what it seems like. Even History channel, Animal Planet, Discovery etc are no longer as educational as they used to be. I find reality shows silly and entertaining to pass the time, but lately it seems like that's ALL that's ever on TV anymore! Anyone else notice this?

EDIT: Typo in the heading. Was supposed to say: "nowadays"

10 years (?) or so ago the writers guild went on strike; TV producers needed a product which did not need writers so the reality show was born. Now their profits are up and the quality of much TV isn't. I agree with a comment above NCIS and a few other dramas are quite good but in general TV isn't as good as it once was.

That said, Downton Abbey (which my wife cajoled me into watching over the past few weeks has me hooked). Season three begins tonight on PBS at 9:00 PM. Well in half an hour here, some of you missed it.

Damn.

saw the ad for it Zoom.....unbelievable.....:lol:

saw the ad for it Zoom.....unbelievable.....:lol:

Me too...they are really pushing it on Hulu. Double Divas is the name of the show.

P.S. Hulu added Star Trek DS9 and Star Trek Voyager all seasons. :woohoo:

Because that's what it seems like. Even History channel, Animal Planet, Discovery etc are no longer as educational as they used to be. I find reality shows silly and entertaining to pass the time, but lately it seems like that's ALL that's ever on TV anymore! Anyone else notice this?

EDIT: Typo in the heading. Was supposed to say: "nowadays"

Because they are CHEAP!

My teenage son has autism. I am convinced that one day, there WILL be a reality show about a family dealing with autism. It will not be our family, however, because we are entirely too boring!

Forum List

Back