Why is every show a reality show nowdays?

VeganMe

Newly vegan
Jul 28, 2012
Because that's what it seems like. Even History channel, Animal Planet, Discovery etc are no longer as educational as they used to be. I find reality shows silly and entertaining to pass the time, but lately it seems like that's ALL that's ever on TV anymore! Anyone else notice this?

EDIT: Typo in the heading. Was supposed to say: "nowadays"

Last edited:
Because that's what it seems like. Even History channel, Animal Planet, Discovery etc are no longer as educational as they used to be. I find reality shows silly and entertaining to pass the time, but lately it seems like that's ALL that's ever on TV anymore! Anyone else notice this?

Vegan???

How'd you have the energy to type that long post?

Now...I have to say, I've never seen any of the reality shows....

...but perhaps they represent the vicarious life for those who need 'em?
Ya' think?

because it's cheaper to produce reality TV than to actually spend real money on creating decent TV. reality TV gets huge ratings and makes a ton in ad revenues.

better for network coffers than actually spending on something of quality.... which is why most of the best dramas (NCIS excluded b/c I love Mark Harmon) are on cable networks like HBO, USA and Showtime.

^If you have any questions about vegans, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

because it's cheaper to produce reality TV than to actually spend real money on creating decent TV. reality TV gets huge ratings and makes a ton in ad revenues.

better for network coffers than actually spending on something of quality.... which is why most of the best dramas (NCIS excluded b/c I love Mark Harmon) are on cable networks like HBO, USA and Showtime.

The problem with it is that it can't be put into syndication. For some popular shows, syndication makes more money than first runs.

The Chinese would like a word with you.....

“Veggie” diet blamed for poor performance of China’s women volleyball team
Fearing tainted meat, China's women's volleyball team has stuck to a strict vegetarian diet for the last three weeks, which the team's coach is now blaming for his athletes' abysmal performance.
“Veggie” diet blamed for poor performance of China’s women volleyball team — MercoPress

Are you a Vegan who "Doesn't eat meat, but eats everything else"? Meaning: You eat all kinds of sugary, candy crapolla so your health never really improves?

I lost 40 lbs in 5 months on the Primal Blueprint. It's my opinion that the FDA Food Pyramid is the root of all culinary evil.

^I eat pretty normal foods (just those made without animal ingredients). Some of those include sugar, yeah. But most foods contain either some form of sugar or sodium.

Yes, they will be here today and gone tomorrow. Supply and demand. The plate is getting too full, for it to remain profitable, to produce them.

I watch one. :D

Oh, I've seen snippets of that when it comes on. The wives always seem so sad and Cody (is that his name?) seems confused about how many wives he wants to have! lol

Oh, I've seen snippets of that when it comes on. The wives always seem so sad and Cody (is that his name?) seems confused about how many wives he wants to have! lol

Interesting.

I see them as happy, with the exception of one, who seems to vacillate on her relationship. I "think" she is the only one of them all who didn't grow up in a Polygamist family. Christine.

They are probably just having Christine play that drama for some unreality. ...:lmao: Love Kody. Only he could do it all with 19 ( I think ) kids, who seem to all have much fun together. Operative word...."seem."

Can't wait for season 3. :)

*Bygones* to this thread, and thank you and welcome to USMB. :D

It's because it gets ratings.

It gets ratings because people love watching people that are more dysfunctional than they are. It makes them feel better about themselves.

Polygamy is an interesting lifestyle. In a way, it seems comforting (if you grow up in one) because there are always so many family members around to rely on and interact with. It would never be lonely and I've always been curious about what it's like to live in a big family.

On the other hand, for the wives themselves, I'd imagine it would be tough. Having to share your husband with other women could make anybody extremely jealous and bitter. I guess to each their own.

Because that's what it seems like. Even History channel, Animal Planet, Discovery etc are no longer as educational as they used to be.

That drives me nuts. The History and Discovery channels especially. However, i like American Pickers on History Channel. Then there's Pawn Stars and Cajun Pawn Stars. WTF do pawn shops have to do with history? NOTHING! Take em off! I think you were better off being known as the "Hitler Channel".

Then there's the Discovery Channel, which has Deadliest Catch, which isn't too bad. But then we've got other fisherman shows like Lobster Wars and Swords, a bunch of shows with Bear Grylls wannabes and we end the line-up with gun dealers. Cut the crap out and bring back Mythbusters re-runs and stuff on sharks. At least Mythbusters has science and entertainment (especially the explosions). Put the whiny New England fishermen on an Outdoorsmen-type channel and put the gun dealers on Spike.

You also failed to mention 2 other channels that have fallen ill with the "Reality TV" disease. TLC and Sci-fi (now known as "Siffy).

TLC shows a program that exploits kids under the age of 6 for the sake of some parental ego boost (and is no doubt mostly viewed by perverts), a fraud medium from Long Island and people who go on shopping sprees with shopping bags full of coupons.

And as for Siffy, when it's not airing crappy movies that rival those seen on Mystery Science Theater 3000, it has shows that are either rip-offs of Ghost Hunters or is a Reality show about competing Sci-fi make-up/Special-effects artists.

Forum List

Back