Why is education so expensive?

Politicskid

Nov 17, 2012
Okay, recently I was looking into the price of college and how I would pay for it and all that. To me, it looks like it's been skyrocketing, even after you adjust for inflation. How can we expect to end up with a well-educated workforce when so few people will be able to afford it? Also, why is it as high as it is, and how can we bring it back down?

I am by no means an expert on this.

But, from what I've read, the price has to do with 1) the standing of the university, 2) the facility costs, and 3) how much the staff is paid.

Have you thought of "alternative" schools? Such as going to a Junior College and taking classes more useful in the market place? Or, some of the others online institutions that also give you education leading to marketable skills - not just computer programming, nursing, etc, but other vocational subects?

The only way university prices will go down if more and more young people search elsewhere for their education.:cool:

Okay, recently I was looking into the price of college and how I would pay for it and all that. To me, it looks like it's been skyrocketing, even after you adjust for inflation. How can we expect to end up with a well-educated workforce when so few people will be able to afford it? Also, why is it as high as it is, and how can we bring it back down?

work your way through school

No, really? If I "work my way through school" the cost will magically go down?

no, but you will not need a loan and pay interest

There are many reasons for skyrocketing tuition rates. One of which is Pell Grants and government assistance. The more money available, the more money the universities could charge. It's free money, you expect to pay more.

Ask yourself this....

Who has ensconced themselves in the seats of power and control in academe and what is their track record of delivering a quality product at a reasonable price, or even controlling the costs of anything, in a competitive free market environment?

It's a scam.

A National Recommended Reading List for K through 12 would probably cut down the need for college by 75%.

Thinking as a Science (1916) by Henry Hazlitt
Henry Hazlitt - Thinking as a Science
http://librivox.org/thinking-as-a-science-by-henry-hazlitt/

Omnilingual (Feb 1957) by H. Beam Piper
Scientific Language: H. Beam Piper
Omnilingual - Henry Beam Piper | Feedbooks
http://librivox.org/omnilingual-by-h-beam-piper/

Badge of Infamy (Jun 1957) by Lester del Rey
http://librivox.org/badge-of-infamy-by-lester-del-rey/
Badge of Infamy by Lester Del Rey - Books Should Be Free

1957 was the year of Sputnik, but it was launched in October. Both of these stories were published before the Sputnik launch. It was not until 1958 that the van Allen belts were discovered and 1965 that a probe sent to Mars discovered that the planet had no magnetic field and only one percent of Earth's atmospheric pressure. So this information changed our thinking about the chances of life developing on the planet and Mars stories from before 1965 would most likely have significant inaccuracies. But these are both decent and interesting stories nonetheless.

psik

no, but you will not need a loan and pay interest

Yes, you will, just not as much. The cost of education today if far beyond the point where one can work their way through with no loans. I went to school while working full time with a job where I made okay money and I still needed loans.

Education is free up to the 12th grade. Property owners pay for it. The Military is hiring and all you lazy libs have to do is give two or three years to the government and you get free college.

Education is free up to the 12th grade. Property owners pay for it.

But how much relevant information is taught?

I had to take 4 years of English literature in high school but no one suggested I take any accounting. I do not even know if my high school offered it.

What would the state of the economy be if double-entry accounting had been mandatory for everyone for the last 50 years?

Who decides what education is?

The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh From the Lemonade Stand
The Accounting Game : Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand // Discounted Books from Excel Tip .com
Foolish Book Review: "The Accounting Game"

Radically Simple Accounting by Madeline Bailey
QC Computing. Making Your Business More Profitable

Double-entry accounting is 700 years old, twice as old as calculus. How many kids get calculus in high school but not accounting? Our educational philosophy is designed to produce WORKERS to be used not people who can best serve their own interests.

The Screwing of the Average Man (1974) by David Hapgood
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/screwing-average-man-David-Hapgood/dp/B0006W84KK]The screwing of the average man: David Hapgood: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

psik

Last edited:
Education is a window to prosperity, class, indentured servitude (IS), debt, and self esteem or ambiguity about all of the above. When I joined the workforce college was no required, today it may at least get you an interview or if your college is a breeding ground for IS, even a sixty hour a week job in which you will make from 35 to 65 starting. I am being partially tongue in cheek cynical but... Why is it so expensive, ask your self why parents pay 10 to 20k for grade school, even pre-school. Or why parents in good public education areas still send the little darlings to a private school costing more than college used to cost. Class cost money and money buys class.

Most of the people I know who can afford it go the big money school route. I don't think grades are nearly as important as they used to be. One professor who now subs, tells me many colleges today are 'check schools.' Turn in the check get the paper. Simple marketing in the grand old American way. Having managed people for over thirty years I have to say a nice degree is nice, beyond that show me the motivation, intelligence, creativity and stick to-it-tive-ness. One manager once told me our recent employee was over qualified. What a BS term that is.

If Harvard goes to 40k, why shouldn't Smallville college not charge more. Teachers can't be outsourced, today the ads are full of online education. Reminds me of the ads in comic books years ago about learning to be something. Many years ago a peer paid me to do his courses. LOL

Anyway, enough cynicism, college can be great, I enjoyed it until we had children and time became something else. GI bill helped too. Eventually I finished but except for allowing me to teach part time, the degree was not that important. But times have changed. Go small if cost is a problem, confirm credits transfer, and then decide. I'm sure there must be corporations still that provide assistance too. Do we ever know what we want to be when we grow up. Good luck.

"Thirty years ago, 10 percent of California’s general revenue fund went to higher education and 3 percent to prisons. Today nearly 11 percent goes to prisons and 8 percent to higher education." Friedman/Mandelbaum in 'That Used To Be Us'

That's what I did.. full-time job, part-time student.

It's highly doable.

Let me answer it from a Liberal's perspective... The rich are simply not paying their fair share. :D

Because the labor can't outsourced to third-world countries where workers make cooley wages.

We could go back to apprenticeships, internships, where you master the field of study under a mentor.

I think part of our problem is thinking that the purpose of the education is to create a workforce.

If the real purpose of education then why shouldn't double -entry accounting be mandatory in our schools. Yeah, our educational system is designed to produce workers. But they are also supposed to be suckers who do not know how to serve their own best interests.

Why don't we have a national recommended reading list if we wanted inexpensive education? Maybe that would not serve the economic interests of educators. But now we have $100 tablets. Do educators want to use them or sabotage them?

Thinking as a Science (1916) by Henry Hazlitt
Henry Hazlitt - Thinking as a Science
LibriVox » Thinking as a Science by Henry Hazlitt

I could have read that in high school but I never heard of it. Looking back it seems so peculiar that not a single teacher ever suggested a "good" book that was not part of the curriculum. The so called educational system is designed to control how much people know.

psik

Why is education so expensive?

Subsidises for Foreignors that want the American Dream drive up the rates that Americans have to pay to keep them happy.

New Topics

Forum List

Back