Why is Christianity so Hated?

The ClayTaurus said:
In both Christianity and the Islam, those often viewed as the most extreme are the same who take a very litteral interpretation of their respective texts...at least in my opinion.

My problem with Islam is the lack of strong leadership that allows their religion to be misrepresented. I will concede that Christians (although certainly not all of them) would be very vocal in speaking out about similar acts. When Pat Robertson is calling for people to be taken out, a swarm of Christians quickly ostricize him.

This doesn't change the fact that many Muslims are peaceful people. I can only hope that a voice comes through the fuzz to lead them past this.

Which is a nice thought, but my problem comes with the very writings of Islam that justifies deadly retaliation to all who are the infidels, and infidels is anyone who is not converted to Islam. Now whether that teaching was put there as a way to frighten many into becoming Muslim as was the case centuries ago it still is a tenant of their faith.

Oh and Id' like to second Abbey's welcome to the board :)

archangel said:
Islam was created in the 7th century...Judiasim and Christanianity preceeds this by several centuries...most of Judiasim and Christainity was formed and to some extent taken from ancient Symarian writings pre Islam...why is it Islam only took that which they seek as the way?...Just some food for thought!

I guess I don't really understand the point you're trying to make.

Bonnie said:
Which is a nice thought, but my problem comes with the very writings of Islam that justifies deadly retaliation to all who are the infidels, and infidels is anyone who is not converted to Islam. Now whether that teaching was put there as a way to frighten many into becoming Muslim as was the case centuries ago it still is a tenant of their faith.

Oh and Id' like to second Abbey's welcome to the board :)

Thanks both for the welcome.

This was precisely my point. There are portions of Biblical (is that supposed to be capitalized?) writings that many Christians take to be interpretive instead of literal. Do you think that most Muslims believe that murder is only solution for non-believers? This is a hardline extremist taking advantage of a textual loophole to find grounds for their actions.

When this happens in Christianity, the majority speaks up. So far, it's yet to happen to the same extent in Islam.

My worry is that there are an increasing number of people who just say "The Muslim religion is flawed and wrong!" It seems like people just think that, because they understand the situation one way that is logical to them, it must be the only way to understand it, and everyone else just hasn't figured it out yet. There is an alarming decrease in the want for understanding that troubles me.

The brunt of responsibility is definitely on the Muslim community to show the rest of the world that terrorists do not represent their religion, but for us to just blindly write them all off as lunatics until it happens seems a bit 16th century to me.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic of the human race.

The ClayTaurus said:
The brunt of responsibility is definitely on the Muslim community to show the rest of the world that terrorists do not represent their religion, but for us to just blindly write them all off as lunatics until it happens seems a bit 16th century to me.

They are doing a very feeble job of this. Maybe the majority "peaceful" Muslims need to round up a handful of minority "extremist" Muslims and behead them. That might send a message. But it won't happen.

Nuc said:
They are doing a very feeble job of this.

Agreed, and already conceded.

Nuc said:
Maybe the majority "peaceful" Muslims need to round up a handful of minority "extremist" Muslims and behead them. That might send a message. But it won't happen.

Do you use quotations around peaceful and extremist sarcastically to indicate you don't really see a difference?

The ClayTaurus said:
Agreed, and already conceded.Do you use quotations around peaceful and extremist sarcastically to indicate you don't really see a difference?

No I agree, most Muslims are peaceful. Unfortunately they seem to have more loyalty to unpeaceful Muslims than they have to peaceful people of other religions. That's why they're not kicking ass on their brethren.

Nuc said:
No I agree, most Muslims are peaceful. Unfortunately they seem to have more loyalty to unpeaceful Muslims than they have to peaceful people of other religions. That's why they're not kicking ass on their brethren.

I think that can be said about most religions. You always tend to default to that which you came from. It seems illogical to me for a Muslim to say "you know, those Christians are right about our religion, let's change things." And that's the feeling I get, that some Christians think they can just say "hey, I'm not a part of your religion, but let me tell you what's wrong with it."

It's unfortunate that the moderates on both sides can't come together to effectively reduce the extremism on both sides, or at least educate effectively about it.

archangel said:
Islam was created in the 7th century...Judiasim and Christanianity preceeds this by several centuries...most of Judiasim and Christainity was formed and to some extent taken from ancient Symarian writings pre Islam...why is it Islam only took that which they seek as the way?...Just some food for thought!

The reason the Koran doesn't have the entire writings of the Bible in it is a very interesting story. According to Muslim theology, an angel appeared to Mohammad in a cave. Mohammad didn't know who or what this being was, but the angel handed him a pen and some paper and told him to write down everything he said. Mohammad told him that he didn't know how to write. The angle slapped him and commanded, "Write!" Many times, Mohammad explained that he could not, and many times, he was slapped and told to do it, anyway. Eventually, Mohammad started writing, much to his astonishment, and that is how the Koran was written. Originally, Mohammad thought it was a demon, but his wife convinced him that it was an angel and that he needed to spread this book. Most Christians believe that if any of it's true, then Mohammad's original assessment was true, as this "angel" doesn't act like any other biblical account of an angel. This is why the Koran has what it has in it. The writing of the Koran was a miracle in Muslim theology, and it is sacrelige to alter it in any way. Even underlining key passages or adding footnotes to a copy of the Koran is blasphemy. You also cannot call it the Koran if it is in any language other than Arabic. Printed of the front of every English translation is "The Meaning Behing the Holy Koran."

Actually, the angel's name was Gabriel and Muhammad wrote the Koran atop Mt. Hira. Muhammad was chosen to recieve the revelation because he was illiterate. This made him a pure vessel for it. Gabriel gave Muhammad a blanket inscribed with the writings of the Koran and was commanded to recite the inscriptions. The angel commanded him over and over until he finally did it. Translated, "Quran" means recitation. Muslims consider Muhammad to be the last in a long line of prophets or "Rasuls" that include Adam, Abraham, Moses, and Jesus. They also believe that the Torah (old testament) is a revelation from God, but that it was inaccurately translated. They believe that the Koran is the only accurate translation of God's word.

Forum List

Back