Why is Christianity so Hated?

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
It's a good question, really, especially when you think about why the Romans stopped persecuting them. Among other contributions, a GOOD Christian:

- Pays taxes...fairly

- Obeys the law

- Volunteers in the community

- Does all civic duties

- Helps the poor

- Serves his/her country

- Treats all human beings as equals

- and many other things to better the world as a whole

All liberals claim it's ok to do anything that doesn't harm others, so why do they hate Christianity, since Christianity itself never harmed anybody, and don't give me that crap about the inquisition and the Crusades, either. That was a bunch of corrupt officials using Christianity as leverage to give them money and power.

Oh, and here's another thing I don't want excuses for. Liberals, do, in fact, hate Christianity. Muslims try to blow us up and they get liberal lawyers. Christians try to indicate their religious alignment outside their own homes and they get sued.

Oh, and if Powerman comes in here claiming he doesn't hate Christianity, don't quote him. I have him on ignore for a reason and I'm sick of hearing his drivel. He has an irrational hate for Christianity and won't give any useful answers here. :trolls:

I don't hate Christianity and I'm not a liberal either. But what I do hate is people that do stupid things in the name of Christianity. Ya know...the things that you chose to leave off limits to the conversation...Funny how you don't grant that same amount of wiggle room to Muslims. I'm pretty sure that most terrorist actions violate the laws of Islam. So those people are in effect using their religion for evil the same way Christians have in the past. There really isn't anything wrong with Christianity but some negatives do come out of it. Christians in general do not like Gays and want to deny them the right to marry. Hate to break it to you but marriage isn't exclusive to Christians. Also I've pointed out several times that Christians tend to have a disdain for science when it conflicts with the bible and want to make a big fuss about things and hinder education and truth. But other than that Christianity is pretty good.

-=d=- said:
...tells me you don't understand islam. :(

Tells me you are making things too simple. There are some verses in the Koran that say to slaughter the infidels and what not but they also have rules of how they engage in war. They are not taught to use the type of tactics they use from the Koran. The Koran would condemn the actions of the terrorists. I can promise you that.

Powerman said:
I don't hate Christianity and I'm not a liberal either. But what I do hate is people that do stupid things in the name of Christianity. Ya know...the things that you chose to leave off limits to the conversation...Funny how you don't grant that same amount of wiggle room to Muslims. I'm pretty sure that most terrorist actions violate the laws of Islam. So those people are in effect using their religion for evil the same way Christians have in the past. There really isn't anything wrong with Christianity but some negatives do come out of it. Christians in general do not like Gays and want to deny them the right to marry. Hate to break it to you but marriage isn't exclusive to Christians. Also I've pointed out several times that Christians tend to have a disdain for science when it conflicts with the bible and want to make a big fuss about things and hinder education and truth. But other than that Christianity is pretty good.

How many fiery-eyed Jesuits with 10 pounds of explosives strapped to their chest have you seen walk into a mosque lately? As for the gay marriage thing, hate to break it to ya but politics isn't exclusive to secularists.

theim said:
How many fiery-eyed Jesuits with 10 pounds of explosives strapped to their chest have you seen walk into a mosque lately? As for the gay marriage thing, hate to break it to ya but politics isn't exclusive to secularists.

I never claimed that Catholics were terrorists. But hey they do have a few child molesting priests out there and they could have handled that situation better. But what I meant by what I said was that the Church has it's own history of barbarism. They have done some cruel things in the name of Jesus. They've killed Jews and other Christians. Seems pretty crazy to me. And when I said that marriage isn't exclusive to Christians what I meant was from a legal standpoint the state could care less whether you think your marriage is sacred or not. The state recognizes marriages in churches obviously but they also recognize them out of church which means that to the state marriage isn't sacred. It's a legal action. So why would you care if Gays got married since they won't be doing it in the church anyway? I've always wondered why Christians want to stop gays from getting married by the state. It's not like anyone is asking that they get married by the Church.

theim said:

I cant picture the Jesuits going the suicide bombing route. Considering how disciplined they are supposed to be I see them doing more of a traditional "We'll kick your ass and youll bow to us" type action.

If I was a catholic and could live without sex Id probably want to go the Jesuit route. I've studied them a bit and Ive always been impressed by them.

Anyway yeah the crusades and the Inquisition arent really good examples of aggression in Christianity. For one the crusades were a response to Muslim agression. They were conqueroring the Byzantines and Crusaders finally responded after Constantinople was sacked.

The Inquisition wasn't nearly as bad as the propaganda made it out to be. The Protestants made a big deal about it to tear down the Catholics and strengthen their own position. Problem is the Protestant nations were the ones with all the printing and a larger percentage of literate people at the time. They printed a heck of alot more propaganda and won the propaganda war so theirs is the version of history that is accepted. In reality, while harsh to our standards to inquisition was the most humane court of its day. The state governments were alot harsher. Alot of the executions were actually performed by the states and misassociated with the Inquisition.

If you want to why people hate Christianity its easy. Pride, False teachers, and False doctrine.

I don't hate Christianity and I'm not a liberal either.

Then answer me this. Why do you spend so much time bashing Christianity. You say you only bash bad things done in the name of Christianity, but then you prance around this board with your nose held in the air talking about how anybody who believes in God is a moron and that religion would just die out if everybody had heard the same things you have? You sure devote a lot of effort into bashing Christianity for somebody who doesn't hate it.

As for Muslims, I'm willing to give wiggle room. I know a lot of Muslims who would never hurt anyone and a few who have converted to Christianity. However, even the ones who haven't converted sometimes have a little problem explaining the Koran verses about killing infidels and cutting off the heads of non-believers. I never press the issue, because that would be mean, but I have yet to hear a good explanation. Even given this, I'd rather be neighbors with a peaceful Muslim than some fundamentalist who thinks I'm going to Hell for wearing shorts. Muslims who don't buy into the 'kill the infidels' thing tend to be very nice people, much like good Christians.

Powerman said:
Tells me you are making things too simple. There are some verses in the Koran that say to slaughter the infidels and what not but they also have rules of how they engage in war. They are not taught to use the type of tactics they use from the Koran. The Koran would condemn the actions of the terrorists. I can promise you that.

There are no Biblical Scriptures which tell all christians to slaughter anyone. (shrug). There are specific stories in the Bible where God instructs specific groups/leaders to kill their enemies, and stuff.

Powerman said:
There really isn't anything wrong with Christianity but some negatives do come out of it. Christians in general do not like Gays and want to deny them the right to marry. Hate to break it to you but marriage isn't exclusive to Christians. Also I've pointed out several times that Christians tend to have a disdain for science when it conflicts with the bible and want to make a big fuss about things and hinder education and truth. But other than that Christianity is pretty good.

OK, in rebuttal:

1. Christianity, as I'm sure you know, calls homosexuality a sin. Unfortunately, some Christians seem to think that homosexuality is an unforgivable sin. And there is a good reason that Christians oppose gay marriage: marriage is a God-ordained institution that is specifically designed to be between a man and a woman.

2. The Christian "disdain" for science is generally limited to the creation/evolution debate. And even Christians do not agree on all points. Some Christians believe that the universe and earth were quite literally created 6K-7K years old. Others (like me) believe that the universe was created around 13 billion years ago, and that God formed the earth, etc. through His creation process. Still other Christians believe that God let the earth and life come about through evolutionary processes. So the debate rages on within the church, all using both scriptural and scientific evidence to bolster their claims. So to say out of hand that Christians don't like science or want to hinder the truth is wrong.

gop_jeff said:
OK, in rebuttal:

1. Christianity, as I'm sure you know, calls homosexuality a sin. Unfortunately, some Christians seem to think that homosexuality is an unforgivable sin. And there is a good reason that Christians oppose gay marriage: marriage is a God-ordained institution that is specifically designed to be between a man and a woman.

2. The Christian "disdain" for science is generally limited to the creation/evolution debate. And even Christians do not agree on all points. Some Christians believe that the universe and earth were quite literally created 6K-7K years old. Others (like me) believe that the universe was created around 13 billion years ago, and that God formed the earth, etc. through His creation process. Still other Christians believe that God let the earth and life come about through evolutionary processes. So the debate rages on within the church, all using both scriptural and scientific evidence to bolster their claims. So to say out of hand that Christians don't like science or want to hinder the truth is wrong.

1 - There are two different institutions of marriage. Marriage as ordained by the church, and state marriage (for purposes of taxes and legal issues). I do not want to start a full blown gay marriage debate but, churches can marry/refuse to marry whomever they want. I do not care if Church A won't marry two people. What I do have a problem with however, is the state refusing to recognize that these two people share the same relationship as a heterosexual couple, and will not provide them the same benefits. State marriage is a civil rights issue.

2 - I'm all for people believing whatever they want. When they try to legislate the teaching of non-scientific theories into science classrooms though, is when we have a problem. Otherwise you could pray to the owl gods, and I could care less. =)

Christianity is hated in some parts of the world because you really do have aggressive missionaries in some parts of the world who will not accept no for an answer. In my personal opinion, I think that most missionaries should be withdrawn, except those on humanitarian missions, so that people can find their own faith. By now there are christian congregates in most areas of the world. If someone willingly goes to a church and becomes a Christian, great. What is not cool though, is a missionary going to a village and forcing his beliefs upon the villagers... Which is why I think there is a large amount of animosity towards Christians.

Another factor that most people do not associate with why people hate Christianity is the relative economic standing of Christian nations. Most western nations are predominately Christian, and as such are the richest nations in the world. Many people view this as an unfair distribution of wealth, and associate it with Christianity...

It's hard to say...

Edit: Spelling errors.

"State marriage is a civil rights issue."

The State should not be sticking their hands into a fundamentally religious institution. All Unions outside of the religious setting should be called Civil Unions and they should be legally equal to marriage. Amazingly this would both equalize Homosexual Unions and allow Marriages between homosexuals as there are churches that will perform those services. But it would be at the right level for government. The government should not regulate a religious institution regardless of which it is.

Hobbit said:
All liberals claim it's ok to do anything that doesn't harm others, so why do they hate Christianity, since Christianity itself never harmed anybody, and don't give me that crap about the inquisition and the Crusades, either. That was a bunch of corrupt officials using Christianity as leverage to give them money and power.

Corrupt officials leveraging power and support by means of Christian rhetoric? Yeah, we deeefinitely left THAT behind in the 16th century.

Christianity isn't "hated". 70+% of Democrats are self-described Christians... who are the Christianity haters?

gop_jeff said:
OK, in rebuttal:

1.marriage is a God-ordained institution that is specifically designed to be between a man and a woman.

Hey Jeff, been a while since we've spoken :D

Since "marriage", that is, the pairing off of two people spiritually, sexually, etc undoubtedly existed before Christianity, and since "marriage" nowadays has two mutuallly exclusive meanings (Christian marriage and legal marriage), this word "marriage" causes semantic debates; could there be man-man/woman-woman marriage that didn't claim to be Christian, but simply spiritual or legal?

nakedemperor said:
Corrupt officials leveraging power and support by means of Christian rhetoric? Yeah, we deeefinitely left THAT behind in the 16th century.

Christianity isn't "hated". 70+% of Democrats are self-described Christians... who are the Christianity haters?

You keep saying that, but I'm not seeing anything to back up that 70% figure. I happen to know a LOT of Christians and the only ones who claim to be both Democrats and Christians don't really show a lot of loyalty to one of those things. As far as Christian haters, look at Powerman. As much as he says he doesn't hate Christianity, he bashes it a whole lot, and seems to represent the majority of college professors. The ACLU does everything within its power to stifle Christianity, and the Democratic party, espeically in areas like Massachussetts and California, helps them every chance they get. Christianity is also one of the most aggressively persecuted religions in countries that are not religiously free, such as China and Iran.

Christianity is hated in some parts of the world because you really do have aggressive missionaries in some parts of the world who will not accept no for an answer. In my personal opinion, I think that most missionaries should be withdrawn, except those on humanitarian missions, so that people can find their own faith. By now there are christian congregates in most areas of the world. If someone willingly goes to a church and becomes a Christian, great. What is not cool though, is a missionary going to a village and forcing his beliefs upon the villagers... Which is why I think there is a large amount of animosity towards Christians.

Nearly every missionary, foreign and domestic, runs some sort of humanitarian operation. Also, pulling every missionary out of foreign countries would go directly against scripture. What kind of religion would Christianity be if it failed to follow its own tenets. Forcing this pullout infringes on freedom of both speech and religion, seeing as how no missionary is government sponsored. Lastly, try to look at it from the perspective of the missionary. Anyone who doesn't accept Christ goes to Hell, so they sacrifice their entire lives, spending most of them poor and away from home, in order to prevent others from facing that fate. It's actually quite benevolent, yet all they get for it is their heads bitten off for being 'intolerant.'

no1tovote4 said:

The State should not be sticking their hands into a fundamentally religious institution. All Unions outside of the religious setting should be called Civil Unions and they should be legally equal to marriage. Amazingly this would both equalize Homosexual Unions and allow Marriages between homosexuals as there are churches that will perform those services. But it would be at the right level for government. The government should not regulate a religious institution regardless of which it is.

This is reasonable and sidesteps the issue of what is or is not a legitimate marriage.

:lalala: + :alco:= This.

Hobbit said:
It's a good question, really, especially when you think about why the Romans stopped persecuting them. Among other contributions, a GOOD Christian:

- Pays taxes...fairly

- Obeys the law

- Volunteers in the community

- Does all civic duties

- Helps the poor

- Serves his/her country

- Treats all human beings as equals

- and many other things to better the world as a whole

Oh, and here's another thing I don't want excuses for. Liberals, do, in fact, hate Christianity. Muslims try to blow us up and they get liberal lawyers. Christians try to indicate their religious alignment outside their own homes and they get sued.

Oh, and if Powerman comes in here claiming he doesn't hate Christianity, don't quote him. I have him on ignore for a reason and I'm sick of hearing his drivel. He has an irrational hate for Christianity and won't give any useful answers here. :trolls:

I'm sorry, but I don't even have enough space to break down this bullshit. I'm just going to keep this simple. Liberals are good Christians because their love is unconditional; their only flaw lies within the fact that their compassion for others is too extreme. It needs to be controlled.

Conservatives are,"all men are created equal, except gays, blacks, jews, muslims, hispanics, asaians, indians, democrats, liberals, martians, hollywood, the medias, Ashley Simpson, Paris Hilton, the pope, the ACLU, David Letterman, OJ Simpson, Terrell Owens, Cat Stevens and anybody that resembles Bill Clinton.

You can't call yourself a good christian when pass negative judgment upon others. That GOD's job. Your attack on the liberal contradicts the very point you're trying to make about being a good christian.

no1tovote4 said:

I agree wholeheartedly that this is the way it should work... It would solve almost every problem instantaneously, and it would even keep the literal meaning of the word safe.

Powerman said:
I never claimed that Catholics were terrorists. But hey they do have a few child molesting priests out there and they could have handled that situation better. But what I meant by what I said was that the Church has it's own history of barbarism. They have done some cruel things in the name of Jesus. They've killed Jews and other Christians. Seems pretty crazy to me. And when I said that marriage isn't exclusive to Christians what I meant was from a legal standpoint the state could care less whether you think your marriage is sacred or not. The state recognizes marriages in churches obviously but they also recognize them out of church which means that to the state marriage isn't sacred. It's a legal action. So why would you care if Gays got married since they won't be doing it in the church anyway? I've always wondered why Christians want to stop gays from getting married by the state. It's not like anyone is asking that they get married by the Church.

Savage tactics are SO MUCH more clearly advocated in the Quuran than in the bible that only a ninny would equate the two.

Why do gays want to change the meaning of a sacrament that only even has meaning as a word due to it's religious origin. Hey's let's call a chair a hammer while we're at it. I want to call the day I get my driver's license my "baptism". Does this make me smart or dumb?

Christianity is hated because evil is the rule of the day in this world. Lie for your company? Sure. It's just business. Use your office to abuse those under you: hey, everyone else is doing it. People are so cynical. They want to commit evil with no remorse. And when you remind them of what they're doing, they hate you and will persecute you. I 've seen it first hands.

Forum List

Back