Why is Barack Obama considered something special?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Little-Acorn, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,820
    What's so special about Barack Obama?

He seems to be your basic liberal, and he's black, and only has a few years on the job. Pretty articulate. He recites the standard liberal bromides pretty well: Increasing minumum wage will help, raising taxes will help, something's wrong with the gap between rich and poor, Republicans are racists, etc., the usual tripe. He is rated as the 18th most liberal member of the Senate, which puts him slightly ahead of the middle of the pack of Democrats. In other words, he's pretty much a cookie-cutter standard liberal politician. Nothing particularly worse than any other liberal, nothing particularly better.

So why is the media going ga-ga over him, but not over any of the other liberals newly elected in 2004 or 2006?

What position of Obama's is different from any of the other liberals?

--------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/realclearpolitics/20061211/cm_rcp/the_messiah_cometh_to_new_hamp

Susan Milligan of the Boston Globe described Obama as delivering "an uncomplicated message" of hope and promise, which I assume she meant as a compliment. Ditto Seth Gitell in the New York Sun, who writes that Obama's candidacy is "is shaping up as the perfected form of the campaign Senator Bradley of New Jersey attempted to run in 2000 and Governor Dean attempted with more success in 2004."

Here's more flavor of the coverage from Adam Nagourney of the New York Times:

"I've never seen anything like this before this early," said Mike Ballantine, a computer programmer from Nashua, as across the room Mr. Obama was surrounded by more than 100 people, many holding up his book and hoping for an autograph. "I mean it's amazing. Really amazing."

And the reality of Mr. Obama -- as opposed to what people had read or seen in weeks of extraordinarily favorable coverage -- struck a chord with some. "I was very impressed with the fact that he wants to bring people together," said Betsy Shultis, a former state representative. "I was very taken with him."

Elizabeth Fairchild, 37, of Rye, N.H., said: "I thought he was fantastic. He exceeded my expectations."

Another swooning Democrat told Dan Balz of the Washington Post , "I do hope he runs. I haven't been so excited by someone since JFK, when he was campaigning when I was 10 years old."

And if likening Obama to Dem icon JFK isn't high enough praise, a 64 year-old artist in Portsmouth went a step further, saying of Obama to reporter Paul West of the Baltimore Sun, "I see him as very messianic."

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    New name--multicultural--media sweeetheart. He better watch out. This is the kind of rocket that falls fast and hard.

3. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    In no particular order:

- he's black

- he's young

- he's handsome

- he's well-spoken

- he's liberal

This is all that matters at this particular time. The media is deeply smitten with the handsome, well-spoken, young black man who reminds them of Bill Clinton (you remember, the "first" black president), and John Kennedy.

Unfortunately...he does not have much else going for him at this point in time. This isn't an insult to his character - he's simply a young Senator who hasn't had time to do enough to warrant handing him the role of President of the United States of America. Perhaps in 2012 he will be more prepared...but truthfully, the role of Senator rarely is one that wins over Americans - we rarely vote for them for President.

Interestingly, Obama and Hillary have, in my opinion, the same problem. Both are very inexperienced and relatively unlauded Senators who would not even be whispered about as candidates if they were not minorities.

So I suppose the question we should be asking is: Does nothing more than being half-black, or having a uterus qualify you to be President of the United States of America?

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    If those are the only two things that can emotionally charge the voters then I don't think it makes a difference if they are qualified or not. The presidency has become a popularity contest that's up to the highest bidder with the most "charisma" .

5. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    i could have sooooooooooooooo much fun with this list....alas i shal refrain

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    He really has little going for him, including even experience at the state level. It will be noticed, trust me, Hillary will not leave that fact under a rock:

http://www.slate.com/id/2155121/

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427

Heh! Actually, one politico I know who's run lots of campaigns doesn't think he's "black enough" because his black ancestors didn't go through the slavery experience so he comes from a different place.

Also, if you listen to him, he's not that "liberal" either. He resonates because he's pretty moderate on "values" issues.

What he does have is charisma... something sorely lacking on both sides of the aisle.

I still think 12% of democrats supporting him isn't anything to write home about yet. It's gonna be a long and interesting primary season....

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I think you're correct to a significant degree. Personally, I think Hillary Clinton would be a huge mistake because she can't win a general election. But as to Obama's lack of experience, he's about where John F. Kennedy was when he was elected. And Bush only had a brief tenure as governor and had no experience with foreign affairs... which is something I suspect people are going to look for next time around given the disasterous results of that lack of experience.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    They hide lack of experience these days by claiming that the candidate is not an "insider" which somehow absolves him of all political guilt. People vote with thier hearts, not thier heads. All he needs now is for Hillary to shred him and he can achieve victim status. Being a "victim" gets you far these days.

10. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Wonder what Hillary is plotting against him?? :happy2: