Why is abortion the SCOTUS litmus test?

Bigger? I don't know. Different, yes. But you are correct about the TV set.

There's bigger issues than land seizure and DEFINITELY bigger issues than abortion. Although, the land seizure issue is pretty damn huge if you ask me. Abortion, not so much. Im don't even see how abortion has any place in federal legislation.

And the bomb belt comment was meant as a joke to say that if you care more about land than your body, you would probably find comfort in joining a terror group. I'm sick today, so perhaps I'm off my game on making my point.

There's bigger issues than land seizure and DEFINITELY bigger issues than abortion. Although, the land seizure issue is pretty damn huge if you ask me. Abortion, not so much. Im don't even see how abortion has any place in federal legislation.

And the bomb belt comment was meant as a joke to say that if you care more about land than your body, you would probably find comfort in joining a terror group. I'm sick today, so perhaps I'm off my game on making my point.
Got it. Don't agree with you on the importance issue, simply because land grabs, while they do happen, aren't terribly commonplace. Well, that's not the only reason, but it's one.

soapbox.gif

Does it bother anyone else that abortion rights has become the litmus test for acceptable Supreme Court justices? I'm very much pro-choice, but it bugs the ever-lovin crap out of me that this is the only issue that seems to matter when it comes to SCOTUS appointee approvals. And thanks to this reality, we end up with a court that hands down an unprecedented miscarriage of justice like the Kelo vs. New London decision. Now go ahead and call me selfish and sexist, but when it comes to priorities, I'd rather allow states to outlaw abortion than allow them to take my land for private use against my will.

Just sayin...

for me it's the litmus test because once that is overturned IMO any number of things can be overturned. It's like a pebble in a pond....ripples which effect everything else in the pond and can tip over the boat.

soapbox.gif

Does it bother anyone else that abortion rights has become the litmus test for acceptable Supreme Court justices? I'm very much pro-choice, but it bugs the ever-lovin crap out of me that this is the only issue that seems to matter when it comes to SCOTUS appointee approvals. And thanks to this reality, we end up with a court that hands down an unprecedented miscarriage of justice like the Kelo vs. New London decision. Now go ahead and call me selfish and sexist, but when it comes to priorities, I'd rather allow states to outlaw abortion than allow them to take my land for private use against my will.

Just sayin...

Yeah, I think using abortion as the SCOTUS litmus test is stupid. Abortion has been around since Roe v Wade. It isn't going anywhere.

That of course is unless you listen to the alarmist fearmongers. They tie abortion to Roe v Wade in the usual smoke and mirrors game. Roe v Wade is no longer needed to prop up abortion and is unneccessary and unconstitutional Federal interference in states' business.

Just sayin ....

Yeah, I think using abortion as the SCOTUS litmus test is stupid. Abortion has been around since Roe v Wade. It isn't going anywhere.

That of course is unless you listen to the alarmist fearmongers. They tie abortion to Roe v Wade in the usual smoke and mirrors game. Roe v Wade is no longer needed to prop up abortion and is unneccessary and unconstitutional Federal interference in states' business.

Just sayin ....

I concur.

If they can take my body against my will, they can take your body, too.

and when the genetic reality of the dead fetus matches your DNA then that argument will make sense.. until then...

Just sayin ....

Oh I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is set in stone. There is no constitutional right to privacy that can't be overturned by a packed supreme court. I fully expect RvW to be overturned. What is it.. 30 years old? 2 more justices will do it.

Oh I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is set in stone. There is no constitutional right to privacy that can't be overturned by a packed supreme court. I fully expect RvW to be overturned. What is it.. 30 years old? 2 more justices will do it.

Disclaimer: IN MY OPINION

I don't see it happening. If RvW were overturned, that would destroy the republican party forever. The political backlash would be like nothing we've ever seen. I seriously doubt they are that stupid.

Disclaimer: IN MY OPINION

I don't see it happening. If RvW were overturned, that would destroy the republican party forever. The political backlash would be like nothing we've ever seen. I seriously doubt they are that stupid.

I seriously doubt it. for one, you underestimate the HUGE amount of people who want RvW overturned. Hell, Mccain's social liberalism is NOT a selling point in the GOP. We saw as much when Palin picked up THAT slack. RvW is not a constitutional amendment. It can be overturned. And, i'd bet whoever gets to choose the next two justices will be the feather that broke that camels back.

I seriously doubt it. for one, you underestimate the HUGE amount of people who want RvW overturned. Hell, Mccain's social liberalism is NOT a selling point in the GOP. We saw as much when Palin picked up THAT slack. RvW is not a constitutional amendment. It can be overturned. And, i'd bet whoever gets to choose the next two justices will be the feather that broke that camels back.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, especially since I don't think we'll ever find out. :badgrin:

But i think you underestimate the HUGE amount of people that consider it a non-issue today, but would be rudely jostled from their complacency if it were overturned.

I did not say it was set in stone, nor that Roe v Wade would or could not be overturned. I don't see it as necessary to keep abortion legal in most if not all states.

As in most any other topic where the Fed has its nose where it doesn't belong, it is my opinion that the will of the people of each individual states should decide whether or not abortion is legal in their respective states.

Explain your reasoning, please.

The same reasons you use to conclude that abortion regulations are a state matter can be used to conclude that regulation of guns and substances are also a state matter. Namely, the 10th Amendment and the absense of any specifically enumerated powers given to the federal government in the Constitution. If you support the Jeffersonian view of state's rights that is.

For all intents and purposes, Roe VS Wade has been overturned in certain states where abortion clinics have been run out of town, doctors have given into death threats and stopped performing abortions and low income women can't afford to travel out of state for the procedure or even find a pharmacist willing to distribute the day after pill.

For all intents and purposes, Roe VS Wade has been overturned in certain states where abortion clinics have been run out of town, doctors have given into death threats and stopped performing abortions and low income women can't afford to travel out of state for the procedure or even find a pharmacist willing to distribute the day after pill.

I guess you must've already posted your evidence in another thread. :doubt:

soapbox.gif

Just sayin...

It addresses the principle of the individual as their own sovereign. It is the ultimate test of freedom for without the right to control your body all other rights fall away. If you can control your body you can replace your property but if government controls your body any hope for more property is purely at governments digression. If you trust government there is nothing to worry about, right!

It addresses the principle of the individual as their own sovereign. It is the ultimate test of freedom for without the right to control your body all other rights fall away. If you can control your body you can replace your property but if government controls your body any hope for more property is purely at governments digression. If you trust government there is nothing to worry about, right!

This argument might have merit if government didn't already exert some control over the choices you get to make with your own body. Like drug laws, prostitution laws and suicide laws.

Forum List

Back