Why is abortion the SCOTUS litmus test?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
soapbox.gif

Does it bother anyone else that abortion rights has become the litmus test for acceptable Supreme Court justices? I'm very much pro-choice, but it bugs the ever-lovin crap out of me that this is the only issue that seems to matter when it comes to SCOTUS appointee approvals. And thanks to this reality, we end up with a court that hands down an unprecedented miscarriage of justice like the Kelo vs. New London decision. Now go ahead and call me selfish and sexist, but when it comes to priorities, I'd rather allow states to outlaw abortion than allow them to take my land for private use against my will.

Just sayin...

soapbox.gif

Does it bother anyone else that abortion rights has become the litmus test for acceptable Supreme Court justices? I'm very much pro-choice, but it bugs the ever-lovin crap out of me that this is the only issue that seems to matter when it comes to SCOTUS appointee approvals. And thanks to this reality, we end up with a court that hands down an unprecedented miscarriage of justice like the Kelo vs. New London decision. Now go ahead and call me selfish and sexist, but when it comes to priorities, I'd rather allow states to outlaw abortion than allow them to take my land for private use against my will.

Just sayin...

Kelo didn't come down the way it did because people who were opposed to abortion supported the ruling.

The problem is that Kelo really is in keeping with the precedents. It's really nothing more than a zoning decision. Sometimes a decision is correct under the law and has a bad result. And that's what Kelo is, unfortunately.

BTW, you do know they had to pay them for the land, right? It wasn't just taken without compensation.

soapbox.gif

Just sayin...
If they can take my body against my will, they can take your body, too.

Which is more important to you--land or your self?

Kelo didn't come down the way it did because people who were opposed to abortion supported the ruling.

The problem is that Kelo really is in keeping with the precedents. It's really nothing more than a zoning decision. Sometimes a decision is correct under the law and has a bad result. And that's what Kelo is, unfortunately.

BTW, you do know they had to pay them for the land, right? It wasn't just taken without compensation.
So it wasn't a violation of the constitution, IIRC.

• Banned
Now, they say they gave me compensation...
That's not what I'm chasing. I was a rich man before yesterday.
Now all I have left is a broken-down pickup truck.
Looks like my farm is a freeway.

Yes, for "fair market value".

Not only is the government's version of "fair market value" relative, the mere fact that they TAKE your land in the first place is morally and constitutionally wrong.

sigh

You asked why it was important. I gave my opinion. If land is more important to you than your own body, I kind of feel sorry for you.

I understand why it's an issue that matters. I don't understand why it seems to be the ONLY issue that matters.

soapbox.gif

Just sayin...

I think people are concerned about both issues. But the idea of the government forcing a woman to give birth is more offensive. Maybe it's just because I am a woman? I would think any issue of government having too much power over the people is troubling.

I understand why it's an issue that matters. I don't understand why it seems to be the ONLY issue that matters.
It isn't the only one. But it is one of the fundamental questions of our time--the right to privacy, the ability to have sovereignty over your own body. Blame it on the fact that most people in this country aren't currently facing any bigger issues.

If we all start to go hungry, the importance of the issue will take a back seat.

It isn't the only one. But it is one of the fundamental questions of our time--the right to privacy, the ability to have sovereignty over your own body. Blame it on the fact that most people in this country aren't currently facing any bigger issues.

If we all start to go hungry, the importance of the issue will take a back seat.

Oh, they're facing bigger issues, but they just don't SEE it beyond the TV set.

Forum List

Back