Why is abortion a political question??

DC42

Rookie
Apr 17, 2009
Why are people's decision on who to vote for decided by matters such as abortion??

Roe v. Wade (A woman's right to choose) was decided in 1973 by the Supreme Court!!! Presidents have absolutely no bearing on the decision for the reversal of Roe v. Wade!! So why is it considered such an important issue when voting for President??

Because it's been used as a wedge issue since 1973.

Exactly!!! Politicians use this to take people's minds off of the real issues at hand and people still fall for this.... very naive people!!! My question is why do people continuously use this as a point of debate when discussing who to vote for for President??

Why are people's decision on who to vote for decided by matters such as abortion??

Roe v. Wade (A woman's right to choose) was decided in 1973 by the Supreme Court!!! Presidents have absolutely no bearing on the decision for the reversal of Roe v. Wade!! So why is it considered such an important issue when voting for President??

Because they appoint the Supreme Court justices. Bush put Alito & Roberts in. They would reverse Roe V Wade. That's why it was important a liberal win 2008 and 2012, because a couple more justices might retire.

And this is a great wedge issue. The GOP has nothing to offer middle class people financially. Anyone middle class voting GOP is voting against their own financial interests. They only think they are talking about them when the GOP talks about lowering taxes. The GOP means rich people's taxes. How does that help you? Well they say it'll trickle down on you. Has it?

So abortion is a great wedge issue. I know a lot of anti abortion people who know the GOP suck for them financially, but to them, abortion is the number one issue.

I hope they go broke, can't afford to have a child and then get knocked up.

Do you know how many anti abortion women have gotten an abortion themselves? Many. Hypocrites. And they'd do it again if they were in the same situation. But now they are a little older and it wouldn't ruin their life, so they have the luxury of being anti abortion. Mind your own business people.

Exactly!!! Politicians use this to take people's minds off of the real issues at hand and people still fall for this.... very naive people!!! My question is why do people continuously use this as a point of debate when discussing who to vote for for President??

Because no matter how bad the GOP get, they're still the anti abortion party, and for some that's all that matters.

Because they appoint the Supreme Court justices. Bush put Alito & Roberts in. They would reverse Roe V Wade. That's why it was important a liberal win 2008 and 2012, because a couple more justices might retire.

And this is a great wedge issue. The GOP has nothing to offer middle class people financially. Anyone middle class voting GOP is voting against their own financial interests. They only think they are talking about them when the GOP talks about lowering taxes. The GOP means rich people's taxes. How does that help you? Well they say it'll trickle down on you. Has it?

So abortion is a great wedge issue. I know a lot of anti abortion people who know the GOP suck for them financially, but to them, abortion is the number one issue.

Do you know how many anti abortion women have gotten an abortion themselves? Many. Hypocrites. And they'd do it again if they were in the same situation. But now they are a little older and it wouldn't ruin their life, so they have the luxury of being anti abortion. Mind your own business people.

I completely agree!!!! I knew that Presidents appoint supreme court justices!!! Most of the people who argue pro-life and use that as grounds for voting for a Republican President, don't even realize that 7 of the 9 current justices were appointed by Republican Presidents...if it hasnt' been overturned by now, its not going to be people!!!

I'm just trying to educate myself on why this is an issue!!! Or if I've been looking at this the wrong way!!!

I completely agree!!!! I knew that Presidents appoint supreme court justices!!! Most of the people who argue pro-life and use that as grounds for voting for a Republican President, don't even realize that 7 of the 9 current justices were appointed by Republican Presidents...if it hasnt' been overturned by now, its not going to be people!!!

I'm just trying to educate myself on why this is an issue!!! Or if I've been looking at this the wrong way!!!

Oh they could undo it. They already restricted it, cut off federal aid for poor mothers to get abortions, which will cost more in welfare by the way, limit how many clinics are available (which has happened in some red states).

This may not be a key issue for me, but it is just another issue why I don't vote GOP. They talk about less government but then want to legislate morality, and then they are the least moral of us all. Hypocrites.

Or educate someone else who's been being fooled by the GOP for the past 26 years!!! It happens all of us, I'm not immune myself!!!

Like it is said above, the GOP has absolutely nothing to offer the middle class financially so they turn to issues like this!!!

No, the President can't reverse it, but if there is enough popular support, it could possibly be reversed through the proper legal channels.

It's a moral issue for many. If you believe life begins at conception, abortion is murder and it's the government's job to prosecute murderers. And then there's Jane Roe (Norma McCorvey) who wants the ruling reversed.

Because the people who oppose it feel just as strongly about the issue as the people who support it. That is *why* it works as a wedge.

Realistically, good government wouldn't allow this to be politicized and we'd all make our own moral choices.... without the rancor. Then we'd be able to maybe create a society where abortion was a readily available, but little used, option.

Oh they could undo it. They already restricted it, cut off federal aid for poor mothers to get abortions, which will cost more in welfare by the way, limit how many clinics are available (which has happened in some red states).

This may not be a key issue for me, but it is just another issue why I don't vote GOP. They talk about less government but then want to legislate morality, and then they are the least moral of us all. Hypocrites.

Thank you!!! When did the Republicans claim Jesus as their own!!! They cast a shadow on real issues at hand and rely on issues such as abortion and gay rights when in reality, they are not in control of any of these issues!!!

As I remember it, The Bible tells us "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven" (Mark 10:25). How many of our current politicians do you think Jesus would approve of??

No, the President can't reverse it, but if there is enough popular support, it could possibly be reversed through the proper legal channels.

It's a moral issue for many. If you believe life begins at conception, abortion is murder and it's the government's job to prosecute murderers. And then there's Jane Roe (Norma McCorvey) who wants the ruling reversed.

Yes, but I don't think the ruling will ever be reversed!! 7 of the 9 current supreme court justices were appointed by Republican Presidents!! The supreme court will NEVER be more lopsided than it is now... and they've done nothing to reverse the ruling!!! Yet, the GOP candidates still use this to sway votes!! I don't see it!!!

Yes, but I don't think the ruling will ever be reversed!! 7 of the 9 current supreme court justices were appointed by Republican Presidents!! The supreme court will NEVER be more lopsided than it is now... and they've done nothing to reverse the ruling!!! Yet, the GOP candidates still use this to sway votes!! I don't see it!!!

Fundraising.

Roe V Wade is unconstitutional, for it allows the deprivation of a child's life

Roe V Wade was founded on lies and perjury. do a little research, Norma Mccorvey and Sandra Bensing have both admitted to lying to the supreme court at the request of pro-abortion groups. The law says the case must be thrown out and both women tried for perjury

Also, as an aside, neither got an abortion. McCorvey adopted her child out. If I recall, Bensing is now a good mother

Last edited:

NOT TRUE!

First, the President appoints Supreme Court Justices. If a President got enough prolifers on the bench, the R v. W would be over-turned!

Second, Congress could theoritically create a law that aborts abortion! Or even a constitutional amendment!

NOT TRUE!

First, the President appoints Supreme Court Justices. If a President got enough prolifers on the bench, the R v. W would be over-turned!

Second, Congress could theoritically create a law that aborts abortion! Or even a constitutional amendment!

A constitutional amendment prohibiting abortion? How far do you think that one would get?

As for alaw that "aborts abortion"... no...they couldn't, That was the point of the supreme court decision... that there is a constitutional right to control your own body up to a certain point in the pregnancy.

To "abort abortion" they would have to overturn Roe v Wade...

Or even a constitutional amendment!

Article XIV.

SECTION 1. All Persons Born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive ANY Person of Life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to ANY Person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The state laws allowing the slaughter of the unborn are unconstitutional

Roe V Wade is unconstitutional, therefore null and void. Furthermore, it was decided based on demonstratively false evidence, therefore the law says it must be overturned and can only be reinstated pending a new hearing

Roe V Wade is unconstitutional, therefore null and void. Furthermore, it was decided based on demonstratively false evidence, therefore the law says it must be overturned and can only be reinstated pending a new hearing

I really wish people who don't know anything about law or the constitution would stop trying to pretend they do.

The SUPREME COURT is the final arbiter of whether an act of congress or of a state comports with the constitution.

It does not GET a new hearing after the supreme court decides a case. They may get NEW cases to hear, but would be bound by precedent, in deciding it except in the most extraordinary instances.

So I don't know what "law" you're talking about, but it's sure not the type of law I studied.

And for the record... before you speak you should really know what you're talking about. There WAS no law ALLOWING abortion... abortion was always ALLOWED... the laws that were before the Court were laws RESTRICTING abortion.

And the section you quoted

No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens

is EXACTLY why they could NOT restrict abortion.

1- The hearing itself, Roe V Wade was determined on perjury and inadmissible testimony. Whenever such a thing comes to light, the hearing must be reheard before a judge- this applies to all legal decisions

2- finish the quote. Stop quote mining. What's the very next part of that sentence? 'TO LIFE'

A constitutional amendment prohibiting abortion? How far do you think that one would get?
Not too far, since an amendment legalizing or prohibiting abortion has never been created. I hope we never have abortion, in all its forms, criminalized, but for someone to say the government has to say is, well, crazy!

As for alaw that "aborts abortion"... no...they couldn't, That was the point of the supreme court decision... that there is a constitutional right to control your own body up to a certain point in the pregnancy.

Roe v. Wade overturned a State Law, Federal Law is different, I think it would pass the constitutional test and even the moderate pro-choicers on the bench would probably not over-turn it! Although I could be wrong. I like what Roe v. Wade did, but I don't like legislating from the bench and I would prefer Congress handling abortion.

In fact I want a constitutional amendment on abortion, gay marriage and citizenship.

Here is how I would frame the amendment:

Amendment XXVIII
Abortion, Marriage and Citizenship Amendment

Section 1:
First trimester - No State or Federal Law can infringe on a women's right to an abortion during the 1st trimester.
Second trimester - Its up to the State to decide whether to allow or to disallow abortion in the 2nd trimester. Exceptions to the prohibition of abortion in the 2nd trimester are cases of rape, incest or the mother's life is in danger.
Third Trimester - Abortion in the 3rd trimester is illegal in all cases, unless one of the prescribed exceptions is present. Exceptions to the prohibition on abortion in the 3rd trimester are cases of incest or the mother's life is in danger.
Father's rights and minor's parental consent are left to the State to decide on.

Section 2: Marriage is legal union between two consenting adults. The right for two consenting adults to marry may not be infringed on by the Federal or State government. Age of consent is to be determined by the State.

Section 3: All persons naturalized through means prescribed by Federal immigration and naturalization laws and all children born in the US in which at least one NATURAL parent is a US citizen of legal and proper standing are US citizens.

Forum List

Back