Why is a story about Malia disappearing from the Internet?

If you want to discuss the SS's budget, fine. It's just inappropriate to bring the kids into the question. She has a right to go on trips and vacations. The fact that we have to pay for extra security is a known given, having nothing to with her or the Obamas.

what is inappropriate is the government asking for anyone to take a story down, even if it is about kids.
I don't believe it is. They are HIS kids. Any other story that the POTUS asks for removal, I totally agree. He has influence and that should not be used for censoring the press. (In general.)

They are HIS KIDS.

He either spent a lot of time on the phone making personal calls to news agencies all across the globe, or one of his staff did. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with the former, I just doubt that is what happened.

what is inappropriate is the government asking for anyone to take a story down, even if it is about kids.
I don't believe it is. They are HIS kids. Any other story that the POTUS asks for removal, I totally agree. He has influence and that should not be used for censoring the press. (In general.)

They are HIS KIDS.

He either spent a lot of time on the phone making personal calls to news agencies all across the globe, or one of his staff did. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with the former, I just doubt that is what happened.

I'm sure he just made a call down to the press room, actually. He wouldn't have to make separate calls to each news agency, they all have representatives in the press pool.

They are HIS KIDS.

I'm sure he just made a call down to the press room, actually. He wouldn't have to make separate calls to each news agency, they all have representatives in the press pool.

You think reporters are sitting in the press room 24/7? Do you also think reporters have any say over editorial policy of their paper?

You think reporters are sitting in the press room 24/7? Do you also think reporters have any say over editorial policy of their paper?

The White House Press pool is never farther than a few minutes away from the press room.

And reporters generally don't have say over editorial policy, but they can certainly pass the message along.

Just out of curiosity, why would the Obamas let a 14 year old go by herself to a foreign country?

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think she is by herself? The story said she was with other girls, which leads me to suspect it is a school trip of some kind. I would assume there is some type of adult supervision, and I know the Secret Service is there.

Why would any US school take a "school trip" to a country deemed "dangerous" by our government???

I could see maybe college students doing it...but not 14 y.o. kids.

The White House Press pool is never farther than a few minutes away from the press room.

And reporters generally don't have say over editorial policy, but they can certainly pass the message along.

Actually, it doesn't work that way. A simple email to the Editor in Chief of the major outlets, and a press statement - such as has already been linked to in this thread - is all that it would take.

All in all, less than 5 minutes work.

Actually, it doesn't work that way. A simple email to the Editor in Chief of the major outlets, and a press statement - such as has already been linked to in this thread - is all that it would take.

All in all, less than 5 minutes work.

That makes sense.

I don't have any problem with the President asking for the story to be taken down.

I would have a problem with the President forcing the story to be taken down. But that's not what happened.

Did the press take down the stories about Bush's daughters? Palin's?

Obviously they did not. The press is biased.

We know that, though.

But, the Bushes did ask, too.
Bush's daughters weren't minors. Palin's kids were part of her road show.

Forum List

Back