Why Interpol, Mr. President?

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
December 31, 2009

Some distressing civil liberties questions must be asked about an ever-lengthening list of decisions, proposals, and observations by President Obama.

To begin, Obama is the first president to give an international law enforcement organization like Interpol free rein within the territorial confines of this nation, presumably not excluding the arrest and exportation of Americans to be charged with crimes under international law.

Put simply, this means the Constitution is no longer the supreme law of the land in America. Thanks to Executive Order 12425 , which Obama signed Dec. 16 without explaining why, the supreme law of the land is now arguably whatever Interpol says it is, most likely as directed by the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands, in conjunction with the United Nations.

Mark Tapscott: What is Barack Obama doing? UPDATED: Why Interpol, Mr. President? | Washington Examiner

The UN and Interpol How the UN will gain power
The UN and Interpol How the UN will gain power

Interpol, In Your Midst
Interpol, In Your Midst

To begin, Obama is the first president to give an international law enforcement organization like Interpol free rein within the territorial confines of this nation

Got proof?

Check your sources. Do some research on your own. Read the Executive Order, and the one it's amending.

The order that Obama signed amending a previous executive order, signed by Reagan, that allowed for Interpol to act within this country. The only changes made by Obama's executive order are relating to tax issues.

Here's some real sources.

Obama's Executive Order:
Executive Order 13524 - Wikisource

Which amended this Order, by Reagan:
Executive Order 12425 - Wikisource

I promise, if you think for yourself, you'll understand things better. Instead of letting the editorial board of the Canadian Free Press think for you.

Check your sources. Do some research on your own. Read the Executive Order, and the one it's amending.

The order that Obama signed amending a previous executive order, signed by Reagan, that allowed for Interpol to act within this country. The only changes made by Obama's executive order are relating to tax issues.

Obama's Executive Order:

I promise, if you think for yourself, you'll understand things better. Instead of letting the editorial board of the Canadian Free Press think for you.

Obama's change says " in order to extend the appropriate privileges, exemptions, and immunities to the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL),..."

I can understand "exemptions" as relating to tax matters but please explain the "privileges" and "immunities" part.....

Last edited:

Obama's Executive Order:

Obama's change says " in order to extend the appropriate privileges, exemptions, and immunities to the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL),..."

I can understand "exemptions" as relating to tax matters but please explain the "privileges" and "immunities" part.....

You're reading the wrong part. This is the only part that actually matters:
...Executive Order 12425 of June 16, 1983, as amended, is further amended by deleting from the first sentence the words ‘‘except those provided by Section 2(c), Section 3, Section 4, Section 5, and Section 6 of that Act’’ and the semicolon that immediately precedes them.

Here's the text of the original EO:
....is hereby designated as a public international organization entitled to enjoy the privileges, exemptions and immunities conferred by the International Organizations Immunities Act; except those provided by Section 2(c), the portions of Section 2(d) and Section 3 relating to customs duties and federal internal-revenue importation taxes, Section 4, Section 5, and Section 6 of that Act. This designation is not intended to abridge in any respect the privileges, exemptions or immunities which such organization may have acquired or may acquire by international agreement or by Congressional action.

Sections 2(c), 3, 4, 5 and 6 all relate to tariffs and taxes. All Obama's order changed was the reference to those sections.

All are linked on Wikisource, I don't feel like pasting the links.

Obama's Executive Order:

...Executive Order 12425 of June 16, 1983, as amended, is further amended by deleting from the first sentence the words ‘‘except those provided by Section 2(c), Section 3, Section 4, Section 5, and Section 6 of that Act’’ and the semicolon that immediately precedes them.

....is hereby designated as a public international organization entitled to enjoy the privileges, exemptions and immunities conferred by the International Organizations Immunities Act; except those provided by Section 2(c), the portions of Section 2(d) and Section 3 relating to customs duties and federal internal-revenue importation taxes, Section 4, Section 5, and Section 6 of that Act. This designation is not intended to abridge in any respect the privileges, exemptions or immunities which such organization may have acquired or may acquire by international agreement or by Congressional action.

Sections 2(c), 3, 4, 5 and 6 all relate to tariffs and taxes. All Obama's order changed was the reference to those sections.

This is an interpretation by those in the news and probably more qualified...

Obama's secretive Executive Order amended an order issued by President Reagan in 1983. Reagan's order recognized Interpol as an International Organization and gave it privileges and immunities commonly extended to foreign diplomats. Reagan opened the door to allow Interpol to operate in partnership with the U.S. but with significant constitutional safeguards. Specifically, Interpol's property and assets remained subject to search and seizure by American law enforcement, and its archived records remained subject to public scrutiny under provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. Interpol had to answer to the FBI and U.S. courts under Reagan's order. These safeguards were stripped away by Obama's action the week before Christmas without debate or explanation. Obama picked the holiday season to make this radical change to minimize media coverage.

This order marks a significant change in federal policy and usurps the constitutional power of our government by yielding it to an international organization. Michael van Der Galien writes, "This foreign law enforcement organization can operate free of an important safeguard against government and abuse. Property and assets, including the organization's records, cannot now be searched or seized. Their physical operational locations are now immune from U.S. legal and investigative authorities."

Obama has given an international organization unsupervised freedom to investigate Americans on our own soil without recourse or the supervision of our own government.

Andy McCarthy writing for the National Review asks some very significant questions: "Why would we elevate an international police force above American law? Why would we immunize an international police force from the limitations that constrain the FBI and other American law-enforcement agencies? Why is it suddenly necessary to have, within the Justice Department, a repository for stashing government files which, therefore, will be beyond the ability of Congress, American law-enforcement, the media, and the American people to scrutinize?"

Floyd and Mary Beth Brown : Obama Executive Order Alters Your Legal Protections - Townhall.com

Obama's secretive Executive Order amended an order issued by President Reagan in 1983. Reagan's order recognized Interpol as an International Organization and gave it privileges and immunities commonly extended to foreign diplomats. Reagan opened the door to allow Interpol to operate in partnership with the U.S. but with significant constitutional safeguards. Specifically, Interpol's property and assets remained subject to search and seizure by American law enforcement, and its archived records remained subject to public scrutiny under provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. Interpol had to answer to the FBI and U.S. courts under Reagan's order. These safeguards were stripped away by Obama's action the week before Christmas without debate or explanation. Obama picked the holiday season to make this radical change to minimize media coverage.

This order marks a significant change in federal policy and usurps the constitutional power of our government by yielding it to an international organization. Michael van Der Galien writes, "This foreign law enforcement organization can operate free of an important safeguard against government and abuse. Property and assets, including the organization's records, cannot now be searched or seized. Their physical operational locations are now immune from U.S. legal and investigative authorities."

Obama has given an international organization unsupervised freedom to investigate Americans on our own soil without recourse or the supervision of our own government.

Andy McCarthy writing for the National Review asks some very significant questions: "Why would we elevate an international police force above American law? Why would we immunize an international police force from the limitations that constrain the FBI and other American law-enforcement agencies? Why is it suddenly necessary to have, within the Justice Department, a repository for stashing government files which, therefore, will be beyond the ability of Congress, American law-enforcement, the media, and the American people to scrutinize?"

Floyd and Mary Beth Brown : Obama Executive Order Alters Your Legal Protections - Townhall.com

You see, as I said before, I prefer to actually read the order, and the sections that it modifies, rather than let bloggers tell me what to think about it. YOU CAN READ ALL THE RELEVANT PARTS. There's nothing in it all that could possibly be translated to "...elevate an international police force above American law? Why would we immunize an international police force from the limitations that constrain the FBI and other American law-enforcement agencies? Why is it suddenly necessary to have, within the Justice Department, a repository for stashing government files which, therefore, will be beyond the ability of Congress, American law-enforcement, the media, and the American people to scrutinize?"

Really, man. Think for yourself.

You see, as I said before, I prefer to actually read the order, and the sections that it modifies, rather than let bloggers tell me what to think about it. YOU CAN READ ALL THE RELEVANT PARTS. There's nothing in it all that could possibly be translated to "...elevate an international police force above American law? Why would we immunize an international police force from the limitations that constrain the FBI and other American law-enforcement agencies? Why is it suddenly necessary to have, within the Justice Department, a repository for stashing government files which, therefore, will be beyond the ability of Congress, American law-enforcement, the media, and the American people to scrutinize?"

If Obama really did nothing......why the uproar by some?

Legalese has a nasty habit of meaning more than what it appears to say...I personally am not an expert, are you? You must admit that this is a pretty damning statement in the above article which I am sure was not made lightly:

"Obama's executive order has done more to weaken civil liberties than the much maligned Patriot Act. The silence in the mainstream media on this issue should scare all freedom loving Americans. Obama just signed away parts of our precious legal protections."

The right puts forth faux outrage pretty much every time President Obama uses the rest room, they prey on those who take right wing supposed news sources as gospel.

Partisan politics.

Legalese has a nasty habit of meaning more than what it appears to say...I personally am not an expert, are you? You must admit that this is a pretty damning statement in the above article which I am sure was not made lightly:

"Obama's executive order has done more to weaken civil liberties than the much maligned Patriot Act. The silence in the mainstream media on this issue should scare all freedom loving Americans. Obama just signed away parts of our precious legal protections."
I'm not a lawyer, but I work in politics. So yes, maybe I am an expert in legalese. But that's not the point. The point is, that statement WAS made lightly - which is what is destroying political debate in this country. This, like everything else that the far right has been flipping out about for the last 2 years, is a partisan attack with no basis in reality.

Partisan politics.

I'm not a lawyer, but I work in politics. So yes, maybe I am an expert in legalese. But that's not the point. The point is, that statement WAS made lightly - which is what is destroying political debate in this country. This, like everything else that the far right has been flipping out about for the last 2 years, is a partisan attack with no basis in reality.

This from Brutally Honest....do you disagree with the text?

What the hell is going on?

Executive Order 12425

EO: AMENDING EXECUTIVE ORDER 12425 DESIGNATING INTERPOL AS A PUBLIC INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 1 of the International Organizations Immunities Act (22 U.S.C. 288), and in order to extend the appropriate privileges, exemptions, and immunities to the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL), it is hereby ordered that Executive Order 12425 of June 16, 1983, as amended, is further amended by deleting from the first sentence the words "except those provided by Section 2(c), Section 3, Section 4, Section 5, and Section 6 of that Act" and the semicolon that immediately precedes them.

Here’s the text of 2(c), which this EO now has applying to INTERPOL:

(c) Property and assets of international organizations, wherever located and by whomsoever held, shall be immune from search, unless such immunity be expressly waived, and from confiscation. The archives of international organizations shall be inviolable.

An INTERPOL branch in the US now cannot be searched, it’s files are not subject to legal subpoena nor discovery. If any branch of government wants to keep documents out of the hands of the court system, just hand them over to INTERPOL until the smoke clears.

INTERPOL will now be able to maintain files on US citizens.

By this EO, Obama has conferred diplomatic immunity upon INTERPOL, exemption from being subject to search and seizure by law enforcement, exemption from US taxes, and immunity from FOIA requests, etc.

Obama just declared INTERPOL records immune from search and seizure — "The archives of international organizations shall be inviolable."

Does INTERPOL have a file on Obama — on his associations? EO 12425

Let's hope this is all one big misunderstanding right?

I'm sure you folks are aware of this right? I mean, usurping the sovereignty of the United States of America and granting powers to foreign agencies is something I know the MSM would be all over... right?

Like stink on poop... right?

Right.

Hope and change.

Brutally Honest: Did Obama give INTERPOL more power last week?

Last edited:
A bloke goes to his doctor for some test results.

Dr. "I'm pleased to advise you that all tests are negative, you're healthy."

Patient: "Are you sure doc?"

Dr. "Yes, nothing there, not a thing."

Patient: "I don't believe you."

Dr: "You're perfectly entitled to get another opinion."

Patient: "I will".

Patient walks into a doctor's office, this is doctor number nine....

Dr. "I'm pleased to advise you that all tests are negative, you're healthy."

Patient: "Are you sure doc?"

Dr. "Yes, nothing there, not a thing."

Patient: "I don't believe you."

Dr: "Why not?"

Patient" "Because I want to be outraged that I'm sick."

Dr; "You're not sick, but one day you will be so get out there and enjoy life."

Patient: "Okay then, I'm not sick....THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!"

Forum List

Back