Why immigration?

No, they are not wrong. Their figures are adjusted for population growth.
Then you were wrong by not clarifying that and simply stating incorrect figures on size of labor force, there is a big difference between what you said in your first post and what you're saying now.

With our population growth, the US should have 155 million non agricultural jobs. We have only 152 million. We are losing ground. While your chart is correct, it doesn't show that our population is growing faster than the amount of jobs available.
There are still all sort of issues with your scary headline. For one thing demographics plays a role as well, as baby boomers hit retirement age the percentage of population that is of working age changes. Blaming it all on increases in productivity via technology ignores our aging population.

The other is the obvious cherry picking of dates, when a source arbitrarily looks at something over a 17 year timeline like this they are more interested in proving a point than providing a nonbiased commentary. Why not 20 years? Why not 15 years? Because neither provides as scary an answer as looking at it from an employment peak during dotcom era.

In the era of cars that drive themselves, and fast food joints without employees, do you really see jobs expanding?

Its a simple question.

Mark

Will you be receiving SS benefits? If so, my point stands.
Your point doesn't stand, it's as nonsensical as your misleading population claims. A person "coming in" doesn't necessarily take more from social security than they contribute to the tax base and productive economy, so any calculation assuming that adding a person increases a welfare state is flawed.

In the era of cars that drive themselves, and fast food joints without employees, do you really see jobs expanding?

Its a simple question.
Jobs will expand and they will contract with economic cycles, same as always. When they started producing large machines to automate agriculture you probably would have been the first one claiming there will no longer be any jobs since that is where so many worked.

Over the past five years in this era of ever increasing automation have jobs expanded or contracted? It's a simple question.

Will you be receiving SS benefits? If so, my point stands.
Your point doesn't stand, it's as nonsensical as your misleading population claims. A person "coming in" doesn't necessarily take more from social security than they contribute to the tax base and productive economy, so any calculation assuming that adding a person increases a welfare state is flawed.

Its a simple question.
Jobs will expand and they will contract with economic cycles, same as always. When they started producing large machines to automate agriculture you probably would have been the first one claiming there will no longer be any jobs since that is where so many worked.

Over the past five years in this era of ever increasing automation have jobs expanded or contracted? It's a simple question.

Sure, jobs will expand, and they have. BUT, like I stated before, the rate of expansion is SLOWING. In essence, we have more people than jobs to keep them employed.

Now a simple question for you. Do you envision jobs, based on population, to expand in the future?

Where will these jobs come from?

Mark

Sure, jobs will expand, and they have
. BUT, like I stated before, the rate of expansion is SLOWING. In essence, we have more people than jobs to keep them employed.[/quote]
Nice reset. You said: We are in a new age, where technology will continue to shrink the number of jobs available.

Now you're saying jobs are expanding, but the rate is slowing. You can't even keep your own arguments straight. Bottom line = over the last 17 years (you know, that bizarre time frame you used to try to make a point) the availability of jobs has a lot more to do with the economy than automation.

Now a simple question for you. Do you envision jobs, based on population, to expand in the future? Where will these jobs come from?
Yes, the number of jobs will continue to expand, and it's relationship to the size of the population will depend more on economy and demographics than productivity. I have no idea where they will come from, if you had asked me 20 years ago I never would have guessed that Amazon would employ 340k people by 2017. Healthcare is one that BLS projects to expand rapidly due to aging population.

New Topics

Forum List

Back