Why I'm proud to be a Liberal Christian

D

deciophobic

The way he lived his life, and his teachings were most definitely liberal.

He was a defender of the poor, the weak, the downtrodden. He was
a critic of the rich, powerful, corrupt leaders and politicians that abuse their powers like today's Big Business and Republicans.

He taught us to "love thy neighbor", his basic teachings were of Peace, Brotherhood, Compassion, and Love. He even had long hair, a beard and sandals!

I'm proud to be a peace-loving Liberal Christian that follows the teachings and the ways of Jesus.

How can anyone who claims to know and believe the Gospels
not know that Jesus was a Liberal if ever there was one,
a lover & defender of the downtrodden, and a critic of the rich & powerful; which is precisely why the ultra-Conservative Religious Leaders of his day had him killed.

Although he was extremely kind to the common man and woman, Jesus was extremely demanding of those who had an abundance or either riches or power, whether political or religious.

John 8: 2--11... Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him and he sat down and began to teach them. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery; and making her stand before all of them, they said to him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" They said this to test him, so that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." And once again he bent down and wrote on the ground. When they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the elders; and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus straightened up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, sir." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again."

First, if there's one behavior that Jesus couldn't abide, it was sinners playing down their own sins while playing up someone else's. In this instance, the sin of one party (the adulteress) was being used by a second party to bring harm on a guilt-free third party (Jesus himself).
Then, there's a point so obvious that Jesus may not have felt it even necessary to emphasize. But, as the father of seven daughters, I wish Jesus had asked these sanctimonious male accusers explicitly, "Was this woman alone at the time of this adultery?"

Luke 18 : 9-14
He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were were righteous and regarded others with contempt:
"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.'
But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!'
I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."

How similar this Pharisee is to all these "Religious Right" types who think they are God's gift to mankind and imagine they know what is wrong with everyone but themselves! And how similar the lowly "tax collector" is to so many "Liberals", who may not be saints, but don't claim to be either.
How refreshing it will be on the day when God chooses those on the left to be with him in paradise, despite all you conservatives out there who feel Liberals are the anti-christ.

Well? Let the assualt begin.

decio, I don't know any Christian, liberal or conservative, who would disagree that Christ taught that we should love our neighbors. But a couple of points:

I disagree with the philosophy that we should use the government to take money from people to be given to the poor. I believe that Christ's admonitions apply to us as individuals, but not to the state/government.

I disagree that all Republicans and businessmen are just like the Pharisees and religious leaders of Jesus' day. Yeah, there are a few that I could think of. But many Republicans give lots of money away to charity, are very devout and very forgiving, and very willing to help out the poor and downtrodden. I also disagree with your premise that all liberals are akin to the tax collectors of Jesus' day. Gimme a break. Tax collectors were mostly Jews who worked for the Roman empire collecting taxes for the occupying power, and thus were hated by many Jews. Liberals are not hated by the vast majority of Americans; if anything, today's culture glorifies liberalism at the expense of conservatism and Christianity.

I also disagree with your assumption that God is only going to pick liberals to be in heaven. I think it is pretty shallow to state what political philosophies God likes or dislikes - and before you say it, yes, I think the same thing about those on the Religious Right who make those judgments. That's why I am loathe to define myself as a Christian Conservative, though I am both conservative and Christian.

I also think you may have missed the most important part of Jesus' teaching. He said that the second most important commandment was to love your neighbor as yourself; the most important commandment is to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength.

Originally posted by deciophobic

a critic of the rich, powerful, corrupt leaders and politicians that abuse their powers like today's Big Business and Republicans.

He taught us to "love thy neighbor", his basic teachings were of Peace, Brotherhood, Compassion, and Love. He even had long hair, a beard and sandals!

I'm proud to be a peace-loving Liberal Christian that follows the teachings and the ways of Jesus.

a lover & defender of the downtrodden, and a critic of the rich & powerful; which is precisely why the ultra-Conservative Religious Leaders of his day had him killed.

Although he was extremely kind to the common man and woman, Jesus was extremely demanding of those who had an abundance or either riches or power, whether political or religious.

John 8: 2--11... Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him and he sat down and began to teach them. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery; and making her stand before all of them, they said to him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" They said this to test him, so that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." And once again he bent down and wrote on the ground. When they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the elders; and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus straightened up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, sir." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and from now on do not sin again."

First, if there's one behavior that Jesus couldn't abide, it was sinners playing down their own sins while playing up someone else's. In this instance, the sin of one party (the adulteress) was being used by a second party to bring harm on a guilt-free third party (Jesus himself).
Then, there's a point so obvious that Jesus may not have felt it even necessary to emphasize. But, as the father of seven daughters, I wish Jesus had asked these sanctimonious male accusers explicitly, "Was this woman alone at the time of this adultery?"

He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were were righteous and regarded others with contempt:
"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.'
But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!'
I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."

How similar this Pharisee is to all these "Religious Right" types who think they are God's gift to mankind and imagine they know what is wrong with everyone but themselves! And how similar the lowly "tax collector" is to so many "Liberals", who may not be saints, but don't claim to be either.
How refreshing it will be on the day when God chooses those on the left to be with him in paradise, despite all you conservatives out there who feel Liberals are the anti-christ.

No assault!

Jesus was neither liberal or conservative - those things are of this world.

Jesus was about right and wrong.

The only assault you might bring upon yourself is trying to make his life and what he stands for political.

Kind of like saying God likes the USA best.

Originally posted by gop_jeff

I also disagree with your assumption that God is only going to pick liberals to be in heaven. I think it is pretty shallow to state what political philosophies God likes or dislikes

I never said that, I only said he will pick Liberals to go to heaven despite what many people think. Never said he was ONLY going to take liberals, sorry if you got that impression.

I don't understand why Liberals share the same protests and favor the state and people of Islam more than they tend to oppose it.

If there is was equal consideration of Christian or Jewish religious society alongside Islamic interests, I'd be inclined to believe Liberals of today stand for the freedoms they claim to support. But instead every Liberal demonstration to date is joined by Islamic groups along with the usual Homosexuals, Animal lovers, and Communists. Once this happened the Liberals lost any appeal for me. There is no consistent message in any of this except willfull desregard for principles in the pursuit of power.

I never said that, I only said he will pick Liberals to go to heaven despite what many people think.

Well, maybe.

But we conservatives will be living in the better neighborhood.:p:

It's just one of those weird phenomena - what is a radical idea today will most likely be a conservative idea in a hundred years. The ideas that Jesus brought to the table among the Jewish society were, indeed, liberal ideas. Now, years gone by, those very teachings are actually quite conservative.

I think you will see this happen in just about every level of society. Just look at the progress of civil rights from 500 years ago to the present. Back then, slaves were the norm. Women were only to stay in the home.

You can also look at the level of morality (which has digressed increasingly rapidly over the past century). Do you think an R-rated movie of today would have flown back in the 1950's?

The fact of the matter is that it is illogical to view Christianity as liberal by nature. Look at the birth of Christianity as a revolution - it already occured, and now it is what it is.

In response to HGROKIT, politics and political parties may be of this world. However, regardless of politics and stances, both liberal and conservative ideas exist.

-Douglas

Government coerced incomed redistribution should not be confused with christian charity.
What would he have thought of Big gov liberals who deride family values and the very notions of personal responsibility? What would he have though of libs who encourage their constintuency to blame the rich for their problems , instead of looking to themselves and their own behavior? It's not conducive to improvement and self esteem, and it's not conducive to creating god's kingdom on earth.
I've had long hair, a beard and sandals. I was not a liberal.
Jesus did not teach self loathing, or moral relativism, two things libs love.
He was a threat to their power, just like religion is to the communist orented libs of today.

Why do so many liberals hate christianity then?

So as long as no one CLAIMS to know right and wrong he can sin all he wants? I'd rather know right and wrong always and sometimes fall short, then always seek to defend myself with the moral relativists' cry: "Who are you to say right and wrong, are you without sin? " this is just the devil's way of shutting down discussion of moral truths.

I never said that, I only said he will pick Liberals to go to heaven despite what many people think. Never said he was ONLY going to take liberals, sorry if you got that impression.

OK, I understand. And I totally agree.

Originally posted by Shazbot
It's just one of those weird phenomena - what is a radical idea today will most likely be a conservative idea in a hundred years. The ideas that Jesus brought to the table among the Jewish society were, indeed, liberal ideas. Now, years gone by, those very teachings are actually quite conservative.

I think you will see this happen in just about every level of society. Just look at the progress of civil rights from 500 years ago to the present. Back then, slaves were the norm. Women were only to stay in the home.

You can also look at the level of morality (which has digressed increasingly rapidly over the past century). Do you think an R-rated movie of today would have flown back in the 1950's?

The fact of the matter is that it is illogical to view Christianity as liberal by nature. Look at the birth of Christianity as a revolution - it already occured, and now it is what it is.

In response to HGROKIT, politics and political parties may be of this world. However, regardless of politics and stances, both liberal and conservative ideas exist.

-Douglas

Very good analysis.

But one thing about Liberals (of today) being accepted into Heaven sounds fishy. The idea of a Christian Heaven is solely dependent upon the text of the original scripture. You can only assume one part is true if every other aspect is equally valid.

I have no idea if a Christian Heaven is valid, but what I am saying is that when you personally validate this belief you must either adopt the entire scripture, or be logicially inconsistent.

Picking and choosing from the Bible is pretty much what any Western Christian is inclined to do anyway, especially Liberal ones. But you either have to go in for the whole nine yards or admit to oneself that you've simply borrowed a particular belief based on nothing more than individual preference.

Not to say this is the wrong way to go about it. But once once you discard any word or phrase from the Bible it is no longer any form of Truth at all. Heaven is simply nothing more than a nice idea that one borrowed.

So for a Liberal Christian (and most Christian conservatives) the Bible is no longer the Truth but rather a book full of good ideas, isn't it? The word of God encompasses the entire book and you need to believe every part applies, along with the aspect of Heaven, or else you didn't read the instructions!

it has been stated that if god does exist he is as twisted as you or i... He gives a man instinct and then lays down the law, look but don't touch, touch but don't taste, taste but don't swallow... does that sound like the kind of god you want to follow..... THOU SHALT NOT DO ANYTHING YOU REALLY WANT TO DO!!!..... in the eyes of the lord we have to ignore every natural instinct our body sends us. :mm:

Jesus may well have been liberal by two thousand year old standards, but if you think he would be pleased with what passes for liberalism today, you need a reality check.

Today's liberals:

Support abortion on demand
Condone pornography
Condone drug use
Support homosexuality
See prostitution as "just another business"
Seek to remove any mention of God from society
Abhor moral values
Berate Christians
Promote the belief in moral relativism
See the Ten Commandments as a threat to society
Seek to undermine the family with the ludicrous "it takes a village" concept.
Accept the wearing of obscene or satanic logos on school clothing but demand the removal of a crucifix on a chain.
Discipline students for actively supporting Christianity on campus.

Basically liberals are of the "if it feels good, do it" mindset. I doubt that this is the path Jesus wanted his followers to take. Because of the fragmented nature of their party, liberals cannot have any moral compass. If the Democratic party attempted to impose some semblance of moral standards, the party would disintegrate overnight.

No sir, if Jesus came back today, I don't think he'd be a Democrat.

jobaw said:
it has been stated that if god does exist he is as twisted as you or i... He gives a man instinct and then lays down the law, look but don't touch, touch but don't taste, taste but don't swallow... does that sound like the kind of god you want to follow..... THOU SHALT NOT DO ANYTHING YOU REALLY WANT TO DO!!!..... in the eyes of the lord we have to ignore every natural instinct our body sends us. :mm:

Your first post and this is what you come up with?

OK then, welcome.

jobaw said:

Many of our darker tendencies came not from God, but from the Fall and sin.

Where has God said look but dont touch, touch but dont taste, taste but dont swallow? What the freakin heck are you talking about? God gives us commandments so that we can learn self discipline, and if we are obedient to His commandments we are made free and can find happiness.

What is it you really want to do?

jobaw said:

:wtf: :cuckoo: :rolleyes:

jobaw said:

Let's just look at this logically and evolutionarily. The success of mankind has been due in great part to his ability to deny his animal urges and use his intellect instead. It's true and undeniable. To now subvert the values that have allowed mankind to come this far is suicide. Thank you for your time.

Forum List

Back