Why I'm NOT a Democrat

Discussion in 'Politics' started by johnrocks, Sep 4, 2010.

1. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Why I'm NOT a Democrat and barely a Republican(I'm a RINO and proud to be one.....for now:evil:)

I am more libertarian and here's why in a nut shell, I don't like being told what to do, I don't like being told how to live my life; be it from a bureaucrat,policeman,preacher,politician or anyone else, I had a Mommy and Daddy that told me basically how to breath,eat,live,what to wear and most everything else for the first several years of my life, I don't need a father figure during my middle aged life until I die.

I don't drink,smoke or do drugs BUT if I want to sit in my Den; in my Fruit of the Looms; and drink,smoke Marlboro Lights, fire up a joint, do a line of coke or eat three foot long chili cheese Coneys then what the fuck business is it of anyone else, if I go out stoned,drunk or otherwise shit faced into the public, if I harm someone or their property while out, then punish me accordingly but don't treat me like a 10 year old before I have done anything wrong!

You may say that society has a right to tell me what to eat,smoke or whatever because government pays for health care, ER's have to accept all, well, who in the hell's fault is that, who created the nanny state to begin with and made such ignorant laws! Don't make laws that restrict my freedoms then complain about me moving!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    come to the light...

;)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Never!:evil:...:tongue:

4. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    pretty please with sugar on top ;)

5. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Subsidized sugar:lol:

6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    i didn't mean to derail your thread and i hope i didn't. but the reality is that for now, there are only two parties that can win elections. that might have changed with campaign finance reform which should have, if done properly, leveled the playing field for third party candidates.

The citizens's united decision effectively destroyed that possibility. Corporations are now 'people' for the purposes of the first amendment. (That sound you heard was the people who dumped a lot of tea into boston harbor because they protested a monopoly by the British East India Co.).

In terms of what is left, we are left with a choice between people who claim to want 'small government' yet think it incumbant upon them to tell people how to live, who to marry, what life/death choices to make (a la terry schiavo) and what we're supposed to believe about g-d. Dems may be a little paternalistic and may see government as being able to do more than perhaps it can, and may be a little paternalistic in terms of protecting people from meanies who commit hate crimes, but overall, they don't hate education. they don't hate intellectualism and don't resent anyone who isn't exactly like them. They don't hate the environment and don't 'apologize' to oil companies for having to clean up their own mess.

that's how i see it anyway.

so come to the light... richard nixon (who would arguably have been considered one of our greatest presidents but for his having a problem with paranoia and a problem obeying laws) wouldn't even get past the republican primary today.

what party do you think barry goldwater would be affiliated with today?

7. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,718
    Cookies. Bake some cookies. Then we'll talk.

8. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Well, I voted for Barry Goldwater Jr. as VP in Nov. 08 with Ron Paul as President on the Louisiana Taxpayer Party ticket so I "think" he'd still be a Republican , just a disgruntled one like Ron Paul, his Son Barry Jr. ,me and many others since the neo/social cons slithered over from the Democratic Party and took control.

I realize that there are only two major parties and that's why I'm still in the GOP but;as I stated; I'm a RINO; so I am frustrated;perhaps will be until my dying days politically speaking; but I refuse to support nannyism in any form, regardless of the letter behind it:eusa_hand:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  9. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,000
    Democrats have great death benefits because even after you die you still vote for them

10. Dick Tuck

Dick Tuck Board Troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +502
    Society doesn't tell adults whether they can drink or smoke or eat 3 foot long hot dogs. Society provides the information so informed choices can be made. Society makes sure that the 3 foot long hot dog isn't made out of dog shit, and actually contains the contents that the label claims it does. I fully agree with you about drugs.

But let me ask you. Do you want society to make sure that your food is safe and properly labeled, that your pharmacueticals are effective, or that the air you breath isn't filled with contaminates? You talk about personal responsibility and choices, fine. I've got no problem with people making stupid choices, as long as they are given all necessary information regarding that choice. Now, corporations have this thing called limited liability, so there is a limit to how much they can be held accountable for reckless acts. Do you not want a body who represents the public interest to try to garauntee they follow best practice guidelines, and minimize the risk to the public? In a sense the same holds true for the individual. Suppose a reckless action of another cost me $1 million in actual damages, but the individual only has $1,000. I'm pretty much screwed. Like the old saying goes, "you can't get blood from a stone."

That's the part of Libertarianism that really gets me. It's a naivete that somehow the market is always a rational thing that will bring about the best possible outcome for all. That's been shown to be bullshit over and over and over. People like Ron Paul can easily hoodwink individuals by focusing on the nanny state at a personal level. It's at the macro economic level that they start hemming and hawing, and reverting to their Ayn Rand Little Red Book for some stock dogmatic answer that makes no sense in anything but some feel good theoretical level.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1