why I'm against self driving cars at this point

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cellblock2429, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Cellblock2429

Cellblock2429 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,684
    Tesla drove 7 miles using Autopilot as driver allegedly slept drunk behind the wheel
    Tesla drove 7 miles using Autopilot as driver allegedly slept drunk behind the wheel
    I can see this happening more as drunks use their cars to get home after drinking all night. There aren't enough fail-safes at this point and except for warning systems to alert drivers to avoid accidents, cars need fully engaged drivers.
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44,475
    If they need fully engaged drivers, what's the point?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. TroglocratsRdumb

TroglocratsRdumb Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,329
    High insurance costs will limit the use of self driving driving cars.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  4. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89,454
    Couples can have sex behind the wheel

5. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,375
    Color me skeptical. Self-driving cars are problematic from a liability standpoint. EVERY SINGLE TIME a self-driving car is involved in an accident, the MANUFACTURER is at risk of a huge lawsuit, in a country and a culture where juries get their figurative rocks off awarding astronomical damages against such large firms. And consider, even the DRIVER'S INSURANCE CARRIER will have an interest in pinning this on the manufacturer.

The days when we can plop ourselves down in a car, set the GPS to a destination and take a nap are NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. There is simply too much tort risk.

And old bastards like me would want no part of such a car. But I guess we are dying out anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SandSquid

SandSquid Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +222
    if we can get aircraft to fly themselves, cars should be coming soon. As a pilot now you enter your altitude, speed and heading into the flight computer and don't touch the controls unless something goes wrong. Some airlines have rules that the pilot can't land the plane, barring failure, and airline safety has skyrocketed.

As for the current state, the issue is not letting better be the enemy of perfect. If someone's going to drive drunk or text is pedestrian detection, lane keeping and automatic braking a good or bad thing?

I havent known drunk drivers to say "well I would drive drunk but my car doesn't have those safety features so I will call a cab"

The issue I could see is they may be harder to catch if they aren't swerving.. but that's weighing the risk of catching a drunk running over a kid or him making it home safe without being caught.

In the end that better vs. perfect may be the issue.

If autonomous driving statistically saves 2000 lives a year but is responsible for 10 deaths which all make the news will that cause have enough backlash to stop it?

It's an intriguing situation

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,561
    Not once the technology is safer than a human operator. Then your insurance will start screwing you for not having one.

8. bear513

bear513 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,445

They will just pass it on to us, like they do with the cheap car insurance California allows with illegal rapist killer Mexicans

9. Godboy

Godboy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,763
    They will soon get the science down to where accidents are EXTREMELY rare in self driving cars. They wont have to pay out settlements often. I predict that in 20 years, most cars on the road will be completely self driven and very safe.