Why I turned away from the RCC

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
I was raised by Catholics before Vatican 2, so naturally I was baptized, made Communion, went to St. Raymond's on "release time" from public school.

I found the Bible wonderful, fascinating...I'd read from it and felt transported back.

As I hit puberty I had other things on my mind and generally turned away from the RCC. Apart from wedding and funerals, I haven't been to a mass in 5 decades.

My wife is Jewish and both our boys were bar Mitzvahs. At first, each Rabbi was slightly skeptical or unsure of me until they started talking to me and we then got to know each other. The Rabbi at the Conservative Temple took a LOT of grief for letting me stand on the Bema with my son. That Rabbi had asked if I ever considered conversion to Judiasm, as did the Westchester Rabbi who Bar Mitzvah my younger son.

I realized now that the reason I never went back to RCC nor converted to Judaism were the intermediaries. The RCC has so many, I can't see ever going back.

Where I find appeal is in Chabad. I find their understanding of the relationship between me and the Creator to be the best fit. I read their daily messages and find them touching, genuine and - for me - accurate.

My brothers and sister are as devout as my parents, even more so. My brother is an ordained Eucharist Ministry. I'm happy he's found a relationship that works for him and I'm happy I've found mine.

I was raised by Catholics before Vatican 2, so naturally I was baptized, made Communion, went to St. Raymond's on "release time" from public school.

I found the Bible wonderful, fascinating...I'd read from it and felt transported back.

As I hit puberty I had other things on my mind and generally turned away from the RCC. Apart from wedding and funerals, I haven't been to a mass in 5 decades.

My wife is Jewish and both our boys were bar Mitzvahs. At first, each Rabbi was slightly skeptical or unsure of me until they started talking to me and we then got to know each other. The Rabbi at the Conservative Temple took a LOT of grief for letting me stand on the Bema with my son. That Rabbi had asked if I ever considered conversion to Judiasm, as did the Westchester Rabbi who Bar Mitzvah my younger son.

I realized now that the reason I never went back to RCC nor converted to Judaism were the intermediaries. The RCC has so many, I can't see ever going back.

Where I find appeal is in Chabad. I find their understanding of the relationship between me and the Creator to be the best fit. I read their daily messages and find them touching, genuine and - for me - accurate.

My brothers and sister are as devout as my parents, even more so. My brother is an ordained Eucharist Ministry. I'm happy he's found a relationship that works for him and I'm happy I've found mine.
And the Jewish angels are far more kick ass than the Christian.

Lay waste to entire cities?....Wipe out populations of evildoers?....No problema!

And the Jewish angels are far more kick ass than the Christian.

Lay waste to entire cities?....Wipe out populations of evildoers?....No problema!

G-d wanted to show the other dieties he had access to nuclear weapons.

It's a deterrent.

But do you still roll on Shabbos? :D

But do you still roll on Shabbos? :D

I don't roll on Shabbos!

hqdefault.jpg

And what does Chabad say about Jesus, the Christ?

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

If they aren't teaching this, then you have again been lead astray...

I'm probably lead astray then. It's like saying, I can become rich if I believe that Warren Buffet is rich - it takes away my effort. He also said "Our Father who art in heaven" not "My Father" that makes us all brothers and equals in our ability to have a direct relationship.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

I didn't convert BTW. I just said that I find comfort and truth in much of Chabad. There is a school of thought in Kabbalah that Jesus was out there spilling their "secrets" to the masses and that the world wasn't ready for back then.

I'm probably lead astray then. It's like saying, I can become rich if I believe that Warren Buffet is rich - it takes away my effort. He also said "Our Father who art in heaven" not "My Father" that makes us all brothers and equals in our ability to have a direct relationship.

It more like, "I became rich because Warren Buffet gave me every thing he had."
I'm not trying to be mean, but God considers our effort as filthy rags:
All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags...

Rags, refers to menstruation. A filthy rag is akin to a used feminine napkin. It means the womb is unfruitful. It means our efforts outside of the work Christ did on the cross is unfruitful. Christ's effort on the cross was complete once and for all. There is nothing you can add to His act of salvation on our behalf. His pure blood redeemed us. We can however, love our father and our neighbor, for Christ's sake. Not as a replacement for Him.

And, we are all brothers and sisters, in Christ:
Romans 12:5 - So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

Last edited:

I didn't convert BTW. I just said that I find comfort and truth in much of Chabad. There is a school of thought in Kabbalah that Jesus was out there spilling their "secrets" to the masses and that the world wasn't ready for back then.
That’s cool. What are they waiting for now though? The world still isn’t ready?

For the age of the Gentile to end.

For the age of the Gentile to end.
I seriously doubt it.

It’s in their DNA to keep to themselves. At least that’s been my observation. I don’t necessarily blame them for it but it’s not like their own beliefs didn’t prophecize it. So it doesn’t seem like a good reason to me to keep their beliefs to themselves.

If I am not mistaken they believe they are to bear the inequities of mankind. But I could be wrong.

They’ll never say.

I guess my only question for you is when you took communion, did you feel anything at all or was it just a wafer to you?

RCC is anti-Jesus.
Jews can’t see their own hand in front of their face.

RCC is anti-Jesus.
Jews can’t see their own hand in front of their face.
I think I speak for all Catholics and Jews when I say fuck you.

Forum List

Back