Why I think the NYT Anonymous Op-Ed Against Trump Was Simply Invented

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JimBowie1958, Sep 9, 2018.

1. dannyboys

dannyboys Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,791
    The official release date is Sept. 11...........dummy!
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=fear.....69i57j0l5.5780j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

2. dannyboys

dannyboys Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,791
    Thanks anyway. I'll take General Mattis's word when he denied ever saying anything against President Trump.

3. McRocket

McRocket VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,872
    I give you credit for detailed list of reasons for your conclusion. But I disagree with your conclusion.

1) What career risk...he/she is doing the exact opposite.

Trump is a joke...common knowledge outside of Trumpbots.

When Trump gets crushed in 2020 (or before), everyone in Washington will say what an idiot he was...on both sides. But the Reps who say it will have no cred unless they attack him now...which almost none of them have the guts to do.

But then this person can come out and say 'I did...quietly'. They can distance themselves from the stigma of being aparty to a horrific administration. All by posting one, little Op Ed.

Also, on the off chance that Trump turns into a two term POTUS - like by deliberately starting a war in 2019/2020 (sitting war POTUS's NEVER lose elections) - he/she can just not tell that it was him/her who wrote it. And the NYT won't or their cred is shattered forever.

This is a win/win for the author. Either way, they cannot lose.

2) And your theory that a liberal wrote it does not make sense to me.

If that is true and the truth gets out...the NYT is finished as a respected newspaper. Done...over. Their reputation is the number one thing they have going for them in this day of online news sources killing newspaper circulation.
    They lose that...bye bye NYT (eventually).

It makes little sense that the NYT would risk their entire reputation (and possibly their very survival, long term) for one, fake, Op Ed piece to get a short term boost in interest.

Besides...if it's bogus just to get attention, why do it right when Bob Woodward's book is coming out? They are taking away from each other as they are both saying the same thing. You would do it once Woodward's book has been out for a while and the hype has died down...not almost to the day his book is released. That makes zero sense to me.

3) Finally, your theory about 'why would they do this knowing it would enrage Trump' also makes little sense...no offense.
    Think about it. When Trump thought everyone was loyal to him, he was a loose cannon. Why would him realizing he has people working against him make him worse? It would do the opposite...because he now knows that everything he says and does could get out to the public. So now he has to watch his step FAR more carefully.
    If you know your house is being bugged and there is nothing you can do about it...are you going to say and do whatever you feel like doing? Or are you going to watch what you say and do VERY carefully...knowing the whole internet could be watching you?
    Unless you are nuts, the answer is obvious...the second one.

This Op. Ed. will force Trump to act more carefully...knowing everything he does could end up in the NYT.

Nope...IMO...I see little reason or logic to doubt that this Op. Ed. is legit.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. McRocket

McRocket VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,872
    A little advice...calling a book that has not even come out, 'ridiculous' is...well...ridiculous.

You have not even read it yet. Virtually no one has.

What's next? The next Star Wars movie sucks..even though it has not been made? The next iPhone is terrible...before they even design it?

Please.

You want to say the excerpts you have seen are, in your opinion, ridiculous....fine.

But condemning an entire book that you have not even read is silly....if you want to be taken seriously by unbiased people in the future, I suggest you refrain from giving reviews to things you have not even seen/read/used yet.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. basquebromance

basquebromance Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,690
    i never ever ever ever thought i would say this but....we need Jeff to investigate this doggone op-ed!

6. Biff_Poindexter

Biff_Poindexter Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    If the White House want people to believe there is no credit to the allegations in the OP-Ed, they should stop having such a hissy fit over it...

Unless they want to continue to add to this illusion that people are out to get Trump --- most of those people, he hired...

7. basquebromance

basquebromance Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,690
    It’s an anonymous writer quoting an anonymous official about an anonymous policy decision – that’s absurd

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  8. Death Angel

Death Angel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,390
    Rush said today he believes the NYT wrote it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,909
    One of the excerpts had Mattis saying Trump has the same understanding of the situation on the Korean Peninsula as "a fifth- or sixth-grader."

I don't see anything wrong with the Mattis statement. It's completely true. It's common knowledge in Washington that Trump knows very little about foreign affairs. He addressed this in his campaign. He has made a number of mistakes reflecting his lack of knowledge of North Korea, Afghanistan, and European countries. In fact, Trump has an appalling ignorance of the current world, of history, of previous American engagement, of what former Presidents thought and did. His knowledge is exactly what you would expect of a US Real Estate developer who suddenly finds himself president and in the White House.

Prior to being president Trump had visited only 7 countries excluding Mexico, Canada, and Caribbean over the last 20 years. He had never been to the far east, South America, nor Africa and had no contact with any heads of state.

Mattis like Kelly was making political statements to protect his job. It's totally understandable although there was no reason to do so since he was saying what everyone knew.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  10. Aba Incieni

Aba Incieni Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,151
    Listen to yourself lol...Mattis was protecting his job although there was no need to since everyone knew.

So was there a need to protect his job or not. lol