CDZ Why I think georgism and states right are allies to libertarianism

grbb

VIP Member
Oct 15, 2016
Both libertarians and georgism like "meritocracy".

You can see about georgism here. You can see about geo-libertarianism here. This is libertarianism. They want small government.

There are some things that libertarians tend to agree with georgism. Free trade. No income tax. No tariff.

Another similarity is, I've heard, some libertarians and georgists, prefer peguvian tax, and vice tax, though I am not sure. It's more of common trains. I read that some libertarians and some georgism favor pigovian and vice tax.

The difference is that some libertarians think all taxation is theft. Georgism favor land taxes over other.

I noticed that to improve tax revenue in normal states, the people would want higher tax rate. But higher tax rate punish productivity.

In a georgist state, tax revenue can be increased by making the state more attractive to rich people. That means more security, fairer laws, etc. Those increase land value and hence improve land tax. Libertarian think that security is government's only job (after enforcing contract).

Land value can also increase due to legalization of vice. So government can improve land revenue, not by increasing tax rate (which libertarians hate), but by improving freedom, which libertarian likes. https://psmag.com/economics/housing-high

Are there any causal relationship between georgism and libertarian-ism?

NB: Libertarians can also get what they want by bribing. However, by bribing they benefit "illegitimate" rulers, such as corrupt officials. Not only this will lead to jail terms, the same bribe can be done to make things very unlibertarian. Georgism is like automatic bribes for legitimate rulers, namely the voters.

Forum List

Back