CDZ Why I think colorado tax on ganja should be even higher

grbb

VIP Member
Oct 15, 2016
I am a libertarian.

I like libertarian ideas.

The vanilla version of libertarian is that the sole purpose why we need government is security. The problem with this idea is that government is still "special". Government obviously need tax even under minarchist and is the only one that can initiate force.

The "extreme" version of libertarianism is that even security should be handled by private party.

Okay, that's not extreme enough. What is private? Who decides something is private or governmental?

Let's get more extreme again. Security should be handled by competing organizations.

Voila. We already have that. It's called governments and nation states.

So what should tax rate for anything be?

Just look at what competing governments do.

Most countries in the world prohibit ganja.

That means those who allow it should tax it very high.

And why is that?

Because every organization should and will max out profit for those who own and control the organization.

Imagine you're a store and no body sell what you sell nearby. You charge higher. Then other stores start selling the same thing. You charge lower and lower. That's how free market works.

The same way any states or countries that give freedom to ahmadiyah, ganja smokers, jews (during nazi era), women, should get something out of the extra freedom they give. Once such freedom become the norms you charge less or nothing.

That's how libertarianism should be promoted. By the very market mechanism it does.

If there is death penalty for ganja smuggling in Singapore, why should Colorado charge little? Price of ganja should be just as high as it's price before legalization. Colorado is still giving a better deal for ganja lovers.

And what happens when tax on ganja is high?

The people in Colorado will say, oh we made so much money out of this. Let's legalize the rest.

Tax on lsd, GMT, xtc, cocaine, heroine, will be sky high too. I think the people and democratic process can decide which one is too dangerous and which one they can just tax high.

And then what?

Citizens where ganja is legal will be profited heavily.

Then?

Then more drugs will be legal and more states will legalize drugs. Starting from the safer ones.

Then?

Then and only then, ganja tax can be lowered.

The same goes for immigration and prostitution and income.

What is a "fair tax". Just look at the tax rate in other countries and based tax on that. Yap. A reasonable workable tax is not 0 or just barely the cost to guard security. A well governed secured country should charge more if they are safer.

Americans are squeamish. It's one or the other. Either you accept immigrant and treat them like your fellow citizen. Or you don't allow them in or kick them out for minor non violent violation.

The same with girls. You either fuck them for free, or marry them and pretty much make her your overlord.

Often somewhere between solution is great.

Look at Dubai. Most of its citizen can sponsor 4 immigrants. The immigrants have to indirectly pay each sponsorship $250 a month I think. So each Dubai citizens earn $1k per month.

Obviously it benefits Dubai citizens. They don't have to do any low pay work again. They can use the money to do things that make more money. Win win. Dubai, a relatively free market country, can pay workers more than pay rate in India. Citizen in Dubai are profited by direct cash.

What will happen if more countries are like Dubai?

It will give incentive for all citizens in all countries in all world to allow immigrants as long as they pay. It will also give incentive for all citizens to embrace whatever works, and that would be free market btw, so that their country prosper.

When their country prosper, immigrants would want to come to your country and they would do so even if they have to pay. Citizens that collectively vote free market should get benefit relative to citizens that benefit other countries.

Then every countries in the world will have citizenship valuation. Goals of good CEO/president is then simply increasing the value of citizenship valuation.

Many countries reject jews during WW2. Some countries allow small jewish immigrant. Well, what about if some countries actually demand payment from jews to immigrate there?

Sound harsh. But hey, the jews most likely can pay.

And when those countries are benefited by jewish industrialism and jewish money, other countries will follow. Every countries will want more jews coming in. Tax on jewish immigrant will low and number of jews that die on Nazi would have been far less.

The moment to help jews are over. Now they can help themselves.

But we can still help women in arab countries and cheap workers in asians.

Just import those women as mistresses to richer countries. Give them better fuck deals. It'll work.

Basically libertarianism shouldn't be done out of morality. It shouldn't just be a value by itself. People that give us freedom will have to have strong incentives to do so.

Last edited:
It is already heavily taxed. Hike the price up anymore and smokers will return to the black market.
Raise it more! It is costing Colorado a fortune in hidden expenses.

Send em back to the black market - then, we can shoot them when they come out.

It is already heavily taxed. Hike the price up anymore and smokers will return to the black market.

Apparently, you have never been inside of a 420 shop in CO, nor have you seen how much CO has taken in in revenue from the taxes on marijuana. They took in so much that the actually refunded a lot of money for the state taxes.

Apparently, you wish to have a solution like they do with the drug users and dealers in the Philippines? You are looking to shoot people in the street?

Which is worse, smoking a joint or smoking meth?

Apparently, you have never been inside of a 420 shop in CO, nor have you seen how much CO has taken in in revenue from the taxes on marijuana. They took in so much that the actually refunded a lot of money for the state taxes.

Apparently, you wish to have a solution like they do with the drug users and dealers in the Philippines? You are looking to shoot people in the street?

Since I live in Colorado, and since I have seen the effects of legalized marijuana, and since I have paid the underlying costs of increased accidents, loss of productive work, etc., I think I'm pretty familiar with the impact in Colorado.

The "tax income" claim is a progressive piece of propaganda that conveniently forgets the other side of the equation - the cost of legalized marijuana.

Am I in favor of shooting drug users and dealers in the streets? No .... I think we should take them out to an open field first.

Where's the link for the costs of legalization?
How does the cost/benefit compare with alcohol and tobacco?
I'm guessing those last two are costing us a lot more than weed....

lol, are we talking about people showing up for work stoned?

On one hand I suppose there should be fewer instances of work place violence.

On the other, it is difficult enough to keep the sales staff focused after martini lunch time and keep the warehouse boys motivated where dope is illegal lol.

Go pot! Colorado must be a terrible place to live if you all need to be high and slow that often to enjoy it.

That's BS.
The Pros & Cons of Colorados Marijuana Legalization | Leafly
I'm supposed to respond to the outright lies written by the mouthpiece for the marijuana industry?

I don't think so.

You'll have to do better than that.

Where's the link for the costs of legalization?
How does the cost/benefit compare with alcohol and tobacco?
I'm guessing those last two are costing us a lot more than weed....

Relevancy of alcohol and tobacco? None.

Relevancy of murder by poisoning, versus murder by gunshot? None. (Though, I'm guessing one has a larger clean-up cost than the other.

The argument is specious, at best ... silly, in all probability.

I am a libertarian.

The same with girls. You either fuck them for free, or marry them and pretty much make her your overlord.

And with that second line you derail the thread into craziness....

Since I live in Colorado, and since I have seen the effects of legalized marijuana, and since I have paid the underlying costs of increased accidents, loss of productive work, etc., I think I'm pretty familiar with the impact in Colorado.

The "tax income" claim is a progressive piece of propaganda that conveniently forgets the other side of the equation - the cost of legalized marijuana.

Am I in favor of shooting drug users and dealers in the streets? No .... I think we should take them out to an open field first.

So will you be shooting liquor store owners and the people frequenting the local bar also?

That's BS.
The Pros & Cons of Colorados Marijuana Legalization | Leafly
I'm supposed to respond to the outright lies written by the mouthpiece for the marijuana industry?

I don't think so.

You'll have to do better than that.

Well so far all you have are your own lies- you will have to do better than that.

I do not know.

I know most drugs will still sell even if it's taxed at 1000%. XTC pills cost $1 to make and worth $50. Okay, a 4000% tax wouldn't hurt sales.

People would still be producing it.

All the money are gone to mafia corrupting cops and so on and so on.

Why would people use narcotics? It's saver and have stronger effect than alcohol. Much saver.

Most people would rather try a pill of xtc than going to a trip to europe.

Addictive? no.

I am a libertarian.

The vanilla version of libertarian is that the sole purpose why we need government is security. The problem with this idea is that government is still "special". Government obviously need tax even under minarchist and is the only one that can initiate force.

The "extreme" version of libertarianism is that even security should be handled by private party.

Okay, that's not extreme enough. What is private? Who decides something is private or governmental?

Let's get more extreme again. Security should be handled by competing organizations.

And why is that?

Because every organization should and will max out profit for those who own and control the organization.

Imagine you're a store and no body sell what you sell nearby. You charge higher. Then other stores start selling the same thing. You charge lower and lower. That's how free market works.

The same way any states or countries that give freedom to ahmadiyah, ganja smokers, jews (during nazi era), women, should get something out of the extra freedom they give. Once such freedom become the norms you charge less or nothing.

That's how libertarianism should be promoted. By the very market mechanism it does.

If there is death penalty for ganja smuggling in Singapore, why should Colorado charge little? Price of ganja should be just as high as it's price before legalization. Colorado is still giving a better deal for ganja lovers.

The people in Colorado will say, oh we made so much money out of this. Let's legalize the rest.

Tax on lsd, GMT, xtc, cocaine, heroine, will be sky high too. I think the people and democratic process can decide which one is too dangerous and which one they can just tax high.

And then what?

Then?

Then more drugs will be legal and more states will legalize drugs. Starting from the safer ones.

Then?

What is a "fair tax". Just look at the tax rate in other countries and based tax on that. Yap. A reasonable workable tax is not 0 or just barely the cost to guard security. A well governed secured country should charge more if they are safer.

Americans are squeamish. It's one or the other. Either you accept immigrant and treat them like your fellow citizen. Or you don't allow them in or kick them out for minor non violent violation.

Look at Dubai. Most of its citizen can sponsor 4 immigrants. The immigrants have to indirectly pay each sponsorship $250 a month I think. So each Dubai citizens earn $1k per month.

Obviously it benefits Dubai citizens. They don't have to do any low pay work again. They can use the money to do things that make more money. Win win. Dubai, a relatively free market country, can pay workers more than pay rate in India. Citizen in Dubai are profited by direct cash.

It will give incentive for all citizens in all countries in all world to allow immigrants as long as they pay. It will also give incentive for all citizens to embrace whatever works, and that would be free market btw, so that their country prosper.

When their country prosper, immigrants would want to come to your country and they would do so even if they have to pay. Citizens that collectively vote free market should get benefit relative to citizens that benefit other countries.

Then every countries in the world will have citizenship valuation. Goals of good CEO/president is then simply increasing the value of citizenship valuation.

Many countries reject jews during WW2. Some countries allow small jewish immigrant. Well, what about if some countries actually demand payment from jews to immigrate there?

And when those countries are benefited by jewish industrialism and jewish money, other countries will follow. Every countries will want more jews coming in. Tax on jewish immigrant will low and number of jews that die on Nazi would have been far less.

Just import those women as mistresses to richer countries. Give them better fuck deals. It'll work.

Basically libertarianism shouldn't be done out of morality. It shouldn't just be a value by itself. People that give us freedom will have to have strong incentives to do so.
I read the news that some cities have a large groups of Homeless Pot head panhandling on the streets and making nice cities very unwelcoming to the tourist trade.

I do not know.

I know most drugs will still sell even if it's taxed at 1000%. XTC pills cost $1 to make and worth $50. Okay, a 4000% tax wouldn't hurt sales.

People would still be producing it.

All the money are gone to mafia corrupting cops and so on and so on.

Why would people use narcotics? It's saver and have stronger effect than alcohol. Much saver.

Most people would rather try a pill of xtc than going to a trip to europe.

Addictive? no.
If that is true, then why are the heads getting COPD and problems breathing. Pot has a higher tar rate than cigars.

I am a libertarian.

And why is that?

And then what?

Then?

Then?

I read the news that some cities have a large groups of Homeless Pot head panhandling on the streets and making nice cities very unwelcoming to the tourist trade.

Recent article cited Durango, CO as suffering from the homeless potheads problem ... tourist dollars are down significantly.

As a libertarian, one of the thing I hated most is redistribution of wealth. That being said, a moderate and fair redistribution of wealth can be the easiest and cheapest way for libertarians to persuade their fellow citizens to be more libertarians on other ways.

For example. Citizen a live on welfare. Oh ya, let me replace your welfare check with smaller citizen dividend. Would they like it? Probably. Why? Because they escape welfare trap. They can earn money and still get that welfare check.

Citizen b says they want to prohibit drugs. It cause bad stuff for economy. You know what, tax drug and give every citizen money. Tada see how they think after that.

I think unlike libertarianism I now see things from practical perspective. What's a good ideology? Won't be far from libertarianism. Just try things out. See what's working. See what makes GDP grow. See what makes people want to immigrate to your country. That's awesome ideology.

Forum List

Back