Why I think all my political bitching doesn't amount to crap.

dvord

Rookie
Jun 9, 2005
Here's what I'm seeing right now. Consider that I have a pretty limited worldview, and I'm afraid that's intentional. Like so many others, we have to balance doing the task at hand against its success. My liberty is lessened. To get it back, I must do more than write; I must march, I must protest, and I must be a civil disobedient. I have to compare those actions against their chances of success. What better measure than finding those who are doing that now, which has less to lose by doing it than I do? There is effectively nobody. Nobody is addressing the problems of this country as a whole; therefore I refuse to give my blood in vain.

A very sweet man said to me "I know you have concerns about this stuff, are an activist when it comes to freedoms, and, while I may not completely agree with you on everything, I do value your opinions and appreciate the fact that it is only people like you that are slowing this country's decline into fascism". It means a lot to me that my words are thought of so highly. Let me say thank you in advance to anyone who would concur with that statement.

I told him that my bitching doesn't amount to crap. Then I was going to explain why, but I figured it was a good post.

Every other day or so, I see something impossible. I see the bleeding of our rights as Americans. Little things here and there, sometimes they're subtle, but it just takes a little consideration before you can imagine the potential consequences of some gov't action against its people.

What I really see is the foundations of liberty and freedom, for which this country was based; being subverted, outlawed, ignored, legislated around, rationalized against, and otherwise subjugated by politicians.

I also see a war of propaganda seeking to confuse, alienate and divide the population into defined classes, polarizing them against one another, drawing the attention away from those who govern.

When I stand back, I no longer see a landscape of equal rights, fair taxation, or thoughtful foreign policy; I see each of these as gears of the greater machine.

In dividing and polarizing, they have hampered other's ability to organize, communicate and draw the obvious conclusions that will ultimately lead to the indentured servitude to the corporation.

This became evident to me over the last few days, when I sat back in awe of how the religious right has been able to mobilize and direct precise and deadly attacks against companies and politicians alike. Under the banner of Christianity, a small band of leaders can effectively direct the ire or support of millions of people, and do so within hours of a target's designation.

I have felt spread thin by everything that is happening. From every quarter the effects of this have been felt.

Defense of Marriage
Patriot Act
War in Iraq
Consumer Protection
Healthcare
Presidential Nominations
Social Security

Let me tell you why it is you see everything taking center stage right now. It used to be you'd see one, maybe two big items in the news which politicians were talking about or activists were rallying against. This allowed people who had concerns in different areas to speak out about it.

Since everything is being thrown at us at once, the common person cannot divide their time between the issues. They might even subconsciously pick only one to throw their support behind, while the rest must go unnoticed. We are left to rely on career protestors to speak our minds for us. We throw money at them thinking that will help their efforts, yet they are rebuked.

Even our legislators in Congress admit they don't have time to read every single bill. They are being manipulated and overwhelmed just like the people.

We are so confused and overwhelmed by issues that we cannot see the larger picture. This is by design. It must be, because any thinking person would not allow themselves to be overwhelmed like this. We MUST give each and every topic the consideration it needs.

Our society has become knee-jerk due to the culture of instant gratification and consumption. Again, this is by design. Why would our society be engineered away from taking things slowly, and enjoying life? We have so much in place economically and technologically that we could actually slow down our lives. The alternative is to get us into a rush so we will miss things, so we; won't take the time to see what we're signing, will accept a biased explanation without question, won't study who we vote for, and contemplate our direction as a society.

I try and imagine what it will take to snap our confused and overwhelmed minds out of this trance. It takes such little effort to compare the facts we hear directly from these leaders and compare it to history, or merely consider a single consequence which wasn't explained to you by those who wish you to make the decision.

Consider the oft-told story of the King who was slowly being poisoned by his most trusted advisor. This advisor would whisper about the King's enemies, that they are near, that they wish him harm, to take his throne, murder his children, all the while adding the drops of poison feeding the King's paranoia until he was merely the mouthpiece of the advisor.

America is governed by it's people. The people are King in America, and our advisors are our Representatives. We are being slowly poisoned. We are dying, fearful and paranoid.

In The Lord of the Rings, Gandalf cast out King Theoden's poison through magic. No magic is great enough to do the same to the people. It must be done once for every person. This task has become overwhelming, and soon it will be impossible to reverse the damage this poison has brought.

I ask "What is it going to take?", and the answers never come. I ask "When will you rise up?", and there is silence. I say "Who will join me?", and the voices are loud, but when I swing wide the door, nobody steps through. They fear what lies beyond, as well they should, but in this darkness which we huddle together, there will never be peace.

I believe my bitching doesn't amount to crap because the words are hollow. I readily admit I will not come out, bare all, and stand alone. Words alone don't give me credit. My lifestyle, my beliefs, my past, even my appearance go against nearly every standard by which someone is considered an authority or deserves to be heard and respected. Only within the ranks of a greater good would my efforts be appreciated and equally considered. I have yet to see that greater good. I have yet to see the group, party, or organization which understands the real problems with America and fully comprehends the task before us, the grave consequences of being too late, and the overwhelming bravery and sacrifice necessary to succeed.

dvord said:

A very sweet man said to me "I know you have concerns about this stuff, are an activist when it comes to freedoms, and, while I may not completely agree with you on everything, I do value your opinions and appreciate the fact that it is only people like you that are slowing this country's decline into fascism". It means a lot to me that my words are thought of so highly.

I believe my bitching doesn't amount to crap because the words are hollow. I readily admit I will not come out, bare all, and stand alone. Words alone don't give me credit. My lifestyle, my beliefs, my past, even my appearance go against nearly every standard by which someone is considered an authority or deserves to be heard and respected. Only within the ranks of a greater good would my efforts be appreciated and equally considered. I have yet to see that greater good. I have yet to see the group, party, or organization which understands the real problems with America and fully comprehends the task before us, the grave consequences of being too late, and the overwhelming bravery and sacrifice necessary to succeed.

Your words are not hollow. Nobody's words - no matter how other people see them should be considered hollow.

I hate to say this but one person will not make a change. That one person can join others who, then, can make change happen. But in today's society, you or I, will not, individually, make a change in the big picture.

All we can do is do the best we can so the people around us, like the sweet old man you referred to, can see our example of what we believe and how we live. Maybe someone, by watching us, will be inspired to follow suit. Then there will be 2. Then 4, etc.

You should receive satisfaction and pride in what this man said to you.

When someone - anyone - says to me that they value my thoughts and opinions - and by what I am doing, I am making the world a better place, it makes it all worth while.

dvord, welcome to the board. While I'm sure that our politics are different, I would advise that the Left can mobilize for a cause just as well as the Right, given the right leadership. I would also advise that everyone's participation in the political process makes the process a better one.

There are three choices one can make in this particular context. Lead, follow, or get out of the way. One person can make a difference if they are a Leader. One person can help if they are not a leader but find one that they can follow. One person who will not help will either be part of the problem or they will get out of the way. Since it seems as if you don't want to be part of the problem, you have three choices left to you.

Everything in moderation. Too many people on the left and on the right want the country to entirely conform to their viewpoint, and that's never going to happen. What both sides need to do is to aspire to make things better while still respecting the other side's viewpoints. Sadly, not many people on either side, whether it be the politicians or even just the average joes (unfortunately, quite a few folks on this board fit the bill), can seem to be able to do this.

GotZoom said:
Your words are not hollow. Nobody's words - no matter how other people see them should be considered hollow.

I hate to say this but one person will not make a change. That one person can join others who, then, can make change happen. But in today's society, you or I, will not, individually, make a change in the big picture.

All we can do is do the best we can so the people around us, like the sweet old man you referred to, can see our example of what we believe and how we live. Maybe someone, by watching us, will be inspired to follow suit. Then there will be 2. Then 4, etc.

You should receive satisfaction and pride in what this man said to you.

When someone - anyone - says to me that they value my thoughts and opinions - and by what I am doing, I am making the world a better place, it makes it all worth while.

I disagree in point. Youd be surprised how much one person can make a difference. It may not be noticeable at the beginning but one person can change the world even with simple little things. In fact, its usually the little things we do that have more impact on the world than the huge things. As you mentioned our actions affect others, not only that but our actions also effect our children and their children and their children and the children of those we have affected. Our lives may be like a rain drop causing ripples in the ocean. we may only be one drop. but it may only take one to start the flood.

I'm going to wait to see if this guy posts any more and is not a troll before I make any serious responses. I just dont feel like going through it without a reason.

Thank you for the kind welcomes.

I was hoping to find someplace to post these ideas where they would be listened to, and 7 replies isn't too bad. Thanks for reading.

GotZoom: Thank you, I think your reply was quite realistic, and the domino-effect is truly effective. Despite that, I believe that the polarization which has happened by the will of the powers that be is now complete. I also think the days of consensus are behind us now. Mob rule has claimed the country and without an incredible shift of power, wealth and a true humbling in this country, we won't return to it.

GoP_Jeff: Thanks for the welcome! Yup we're probly different as my intro and your name make clear. LOL I would have to disagree with you, based on my experiences with MoveOn, the Democratic Party, and the American Family Association. I have been a part of all three within the last 3 years. I have listened closely, and studied well how they conduct themselves. The key difference between the Right's ability to organize and the Left's is one simple thing: Religion, and more importantly, Christianity. The Left can't claim a theology in which to form the basis of support. The only one which has any power in America is Christianity and that's claimed by the right. Carry someone's religion and you have half their membership in your back pocket before you even utter a word.

No1tovote4: You're exactly right. And in someone who said something similar in my LiveJournal (which I originally posted this to), this is where I'm stuck. I won't lead, as there is nobody to follow. I want to follow but cannot find anyone to lead. So, there is only getting out of the way, which is something I intend on doing after I see how the next year pans out.

Dan: One thing I've always said is "change is never initiated by moderates". We have to have the extreme left and right. We need them to show us how bad things are, and look at the proposals they offer. Almost 100% of the time, a compromise between the two is precisely what is needed for nearly any issue. I think one of the problems with our society today is that "the flash gets the cash". The flashier, edgier, and farthest on the fringe is going to get the airtime and the people support. Geeze, I mean look how popular reality TV is. Some of the most popular personalities are the ones who are farthest from moderation. We've become mad, greedy, consumerists, and our politics and foreign policy mirror exactly what our society has become. This is why I believe the country being truly humbled is one of the primary keys to getting back on the right track. We have to be shown that our short-sightedness, self-righteousness and our greed will lead directly to our destruction (which, by the way WILL happen). I'm quite certain that's the point the terrorists were trying to make. They were trying to play God, and deliver some Karma, and will suffer for it, just like anyone else who seeks vengeance.

Avatar4321: I like how you put the "one person can make a difference", and I think it's true as well. There comes a point however where it's an effort of diminishing returns. Things need to happen in their own time. For example, nobody would have signed the Declaration of Independence a year earlier, nor would the Continental Congress declared war on Britain prior to 1740. I'm quite sure Tom Paine would have passed anonymously into history, had he started writing Common Sense 10 years earlier. I question if America is ready for truth, if they're ready to learn how the politicians and big business have shaped the country for the benefits of economy and corporations over that of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness".

BTW, Not a troll, although I do enjoy a good bait and switch every now and again. I'm also not sure how long I'll be visiting for, as I've just started to consider something else to think about other than politics. LOL You folks seem pretty nice for my first dive in, I thank you all.

Dan: One thing I've always said is "change is never initiated by moderates". We have to have the extreme left and right. We need them to show us how bad things are, and look at the proposals they offer.

I agree with this. Extreme political figureheads such as Michael Moore or Ann Coulter are necessary sort of as spokespeople for their respective sides. However, I think if our politicians express such extremist views, we will all be in trouble.

dvord, don't worry, we talk about more than politics around here... just check out the Star Wars thread!

He's right, we've been nerding it up big-time in the Movie forum. Honestly, this is the first time I've been to the top half of the board in a long time.

However...Both parties are now one and the same...both push the NWO agenda...if one goes back and remembers what Bush 41 said during his 1st term...he coined the term NWO....when Bill Clinton graced the office he took the ball and ran with it for eight years...then passed it on to Bush 43 who is still running with the NWO ball..

Now they have embraced each other...Bush 41 says he is the father Billy never had...and Bush 43 will gladly hand over the ball to(yuck) Hillary....if this isn't enough both parties come across as if they hate each other...when in fact they have the same agenda...we are all the ones who will pay the ultimate price for this unholy alliance.

We see it daily in job outsourcing,illegal immigration acceptance,the destruction of Christianity and acceptance and tolerance of Islam..
We are all not blind to this...just some still have their heads stuck in the sand!

Until the out of control US Supreme Court and the ACLU(Anti Christ Unions Unleashed) are brought to bare for their crimes against our way of life...well we will continue down the path of the Roman Empire era "Calligula"!

So about all one can do is bitch and take the fight to our so called elected officials one by one until won! :flameth:

dvord said:
BTW, Not a troll, although I do enjoy a good bait and switch every now and again. I'm also not sure how long I'll be visiting for, as I've just started to consider something else to think about other than politics. LOL You folks seem pretty nice for my first dive in, I thank you all.

What? :D

Archangel... While the 'powers that be' have a concept of a New World Order, I think many people in the world have another concept.

There's a concept that race trancends all color, religion, creed, etc. We are the human race, and as a race we shouldn't be divided between political, social and theological borders. Imagine what the human race could accomplish fighting each other when instead we could spend the time building something great for ourselves. Study our world, fight disease and hunger, travel the stars, repair our planet, etc..

We have probably 4-5 generations before the world as a whole could embrace that idea, but dividers and conquerors like our administration and that of other industrialized nations seek to undermine humanity coming together for any common goal other than the wealth of the few and the exploitation of the weak (World Trade Organization).

If anything, the concept of global human unity has been hurt by these economic exploits and have the capacity to set back the realization of this by twice as many generations. We already know that at our current rate of planet destruction, it might not last half that time.

I suppose it sounds entirely too warm and fuzzy for most of the warmongers in the world at this point, but I think too many people sit around thinking "why am I here?" rather than "why are WE here?" I think once people begin to realize we are greater with the sum of our parts, this concept might be more welcome.

Said1 said:
And don't listen to Archangel. :cuckoo:

Kidding! :D

I suppose...but at least I live in the lower 48...ya just wish Canada could merge...don't ya hun? :cof:

Said1: When I said:

I've just started to consider something else to think about other than politics.

I meant that I'm getting wore out. It seems to me that every single day we, as Americans, are being bled dry of our rights, our future, and our liberty. I can't even keep track of every single thing, all the facts behind them and so forth. The worst part is that nobody seems to care. I was certain that Americans would only put up with so much before running into the streets, but it's beginning to appear I was wrong.

I'm becoming content with the idea of avoiding talking about any of this stuff, thus avoiding thinking about it because it's just too painful. I was a very patriotic soldier during Desert Storm. Now that I've had the time to research and learn the truth about so much, I'm saddened that even I was duped by the same manipulators that continue to engineer the ruin of America.

So, it might be fun to avoid it all for about a year and see where things are before deciding on where I'll be moving. This isn't the country I was born in, nor the country I helped defend, nor is it the country I read about and learned to love when I was a child. I won't support warmongering, I won't support exploiting the poor, and I won't support making people in my own country hate each other.

Probably more than ya wanted to know, but it feels good to get it into words.

New Topics

Forum List

Back