Why I Support a Public Option.

Interesting. Now all we need is the percentage of total expenses that goes towards actually paying for people's care.

Of course, I'd be curious as to how these numbers were calculated. Are the wages of the workers factored in, or are they paid out of a more general fund?

☭proletarian☭;2039182 said:
Interesting. Now all we need is the percentage of total expenses that goes towards actually paying for people's care.

Of course, I'd be curious as to how these numbers were calculated. Are the wages of the workers factored in, or are they paid out of a more general fund?

It is my understanding, from a 30+ year veteran of the SS Agency who is a district manager that the overall 1.2% figure is calculated as 1.2% of FICA taxes (the tax dedicated to Social Security) goes to running the agency. I questioned him as to the scope and he told me the figure includes all employee salaries, office rent, utilities, office supplies, etc to administer both SSA and SSI.

98.8% of the money paid into Social Security is returned as benefits to the taxpayers who paid the taxes.

That figure still kind of blows my mind, but the incredulousness can be tempered by the sheer economy of scale that is the bureaucracy.

Forum List

Back