Why I Support a Public Option.

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
If you remove the million dollar executives and their needs from the equation, costs to the consumer come down. Take banking for instance - I just received notice from my Not-For-Profit Credit Union that I had insufficient funds in checking to cover my last mortgage check. They transferred the cash out of savings and charged me $5.00.

Why don't we have a national credit union and a public option in insurance?

Good (insert your preferred Deity here) people!! We must look so stupid from space.

We can't afford a public option. Cuz the gummit spent your great-grandchildren's money already. We're tapped out. Government, like individuals, should not spend irresponsibly.

I do NOT want Government run health care for all. It won't work.

Are liberals missing a gene? What part of I don't want to pay for everyone else don't you get? What part of take PERSONAL responsibility for your self and your family don't you get?

The health care crap in Congress right now does not improve anything. If you want Health care to be sold across State lines? It is not in there. If you want preexisting conditions covered make single bill for that. If you want all non work people covered by one group rate make a single bill for that.

NONE of that requires Government to be involved at all. Just make a law.

Get tort reform in there. Get the shyster Lawyers out of our medical costs.

There is not a SINGLE program the Government runs that is cost effective and runs smoothly. They are all full of waste and abuse. It is the NATURE of the beast.

No Government entity EVER has an incentive to save a dime.In fact by their very nature they MUST spend every penny given them even if it is wasted doing it. Failing to do so means next year their budget goes DOWN.

Every Government agency has every incentive to create more work for itself so that it can get more money. No Government agency ever works to eliminate its self or save the tax payers a penny. By their very nature they must grow.

Are liberals missing a gene? What part of I don't want to pay for everyone else don't you get? What part of take PERSONAL responsibility for your self and your family don't you get?

The health care crap in Congress right now does not improve anything. If you want Health care to be sold across State lines? It is not in there. If you want preexisting conditions covered make single bill for that. If you want all non work people covered by one group rate make a single bill for that.

There is not a SINGLE program the Government runs that is cost effective and runs smoothly. They are all full of waste and abuse. It is the NATURE of the beast.

No Government entity EVER has an incentive to save a dime.In fact by their very nature they MUST spend every penny given them even if it is wasted doing it. Failing to do so means next year their budget goes DOWN.

Every Government agency has every incentive to create more work for itself so that it can get more money. No Government agency ever works to eliminate its self or save the tax payers a penny. By their very nature they must grow.
Do you feel that you know more than me because you are older and more experienced?

I'd rather have a handful of million dollar execs than a few thousand government hacks in charge of health care.

What part of the word 'OPTION' is unclear to you Sarge?

A public option is NOT free health care, it would create a non profit insurance provider where citizens could purcha$e coverage.

Private insurance corporations are NOT in the health care business, they are in the PROFIT business. Their incentive to increase PROFIT is collect premiums from policy holders, then FIRE the policy holder when they submit a claim.

It is beyond insanity

Do you feel that you know more than me because you are older and more experienced?

I spent 16 YEARS in Government handling accounts, I know exactly how it works.

So you are saying you have more experience?

Specific experience in regards accounts and how Government handles OUR money. Now if you are going to chime in with how you run Government accounts do us all a favor and do not lie to us about how you save money. The sad fact is that if an account does not spend every dime it gets that year then next year some other account will get the excess since your account obviously does not need it. No increase for inflation or new contracts or anything else.

Every year account managers get the same speech about ensuring every penny is spent before the end of the fiscal year.

HERE'S a guy that spent almost 20 years inside the health insurance industry and tells us exactly how it works AGAINST American citizens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wendell Potter on Profits Before Patients

Wendell Potter saw for-profit insurers hijack our health care system and put profits before patients. Now, he speaks with Bill Moyers about how those companies are standing in the way of health care reform.

Interview excerpt:

BILL MOYERS: Why is public insurance, a public option, so fiercely opposed by the industry?

WENDELL POTTER: The industry doesn't want to have any competitor. In fact, over the course of the last few years, has been shrinking the number of competitors through a lot of acquisitions and mergers. So first of all, they don't want any more competition period. They certainly don't want it from a government plan that might be operating more efficiently than they are, that they operate. The Medicare program that we have here is a government-run program that has administrative expenses that are like three percent or so.

BILL MOYERS: Compared to the industry's--

WENDELL POTTER: They spend about 20 cents of every premium dollar on overhead, which is administrative expense or profit. So they don't want to compete against a more efficient competitor.

BILL MOYERS: You told Congress that the industry has hijacked our health care system and turned it into a giant ATM for Wall Street. You said, "I saw how they confuse their customers and dump the sick, all so they can satisfy their Wall Street investors." How do they satisfy their Wall Street investors?

WENDELL POTTER: Well, there's a measure of profitability that investors look to, and it's called a medical loss ratio. And it's unique to the health insurance industry. And by medical loss ratio, I mean that it's a measure that tells investors or anyone else how much of a premium dollar is used by the insurance company to actually pay medical claims. And that has been shrinking, over the years, since the industry's been dominated by, or become dominated by for-profit insurance companies. Back in the early '90s, or back during the time that the Clinton plan was being debated, 95 cents out of every dollar was sent, you know, on average was used by the insurance companies to pay claims. Last year, it was down to just slightly above 80 percent.

So, investors want that to keep shrinking. And if they see that an insurance company has not done what they think meets their expectations with the medical loss ratio, they'll punish them. Investors will start leaving in droves.

I've seen a company stock price fall 20 percent in a single day, when it did not meet Wall Street's expectations with this medical loss ratio.

For example, if one company's medical loss ratio was 77.9 percent, for example, in one quarter, and the next quarter, it was 78.2 percent. It seems like a small movement. But investors will think that's ridiculous. And it's horrible.

BILL MOYERS: That they're spending more money for medical claims.

WENDELL POTTER: Yeah.

BILL MOYERS: And less money on profits?

WENDELL POTTER: Exactly. And they think that this company has not done a good job of managing medical expenses. It has not denied enough claims. It has not kicked enough people off the rolls. And that's what-- that is what happens, what these companies do, to make sure that they satisfy Wall Street's expectations with the medical loss ratio.

BILL MOYERS: And they do what to make sure that they keep diminishing the medical loss ratio?

WENDELL POTTER: Rescission is one thing. Denying claims is another. Being, you know, really careful as they review claims, particularly for things like liver transplants, to make sure, from their point of view, that it really is medically necessary and not experimental. That's one thing. And that was that issue in the Nataline Sarkisyan case.

But another way is to purge employer accounts, that-- if a small business has an employee, for example, who suddenly has have a lot of treatment, or is in an accident. And medical bills are piling up, and this employee is filing claims with the insurance company. That'll be noticed by the insurance company.

And when that business is up for renewal, and it typically is up, once a year, up for renewal, the underwriters will look at that. And they'll say, "We need to jack up the rates here, because the experience was," when I say experience, the claim experience, the number of claims filed was more than we anticipated. So we need to jack up the price. Jack up the premiums. Often they'll do this, knowing that the employer will have no alternative but to leave. And that happens all the time.

They'll resort to things like the rescissions that we saw earlier. Or dumping, actually dumping employer groups from the rolls. So the more of my premium that goes to my health claims, pays for my medical coverage, the less money the company makes.

BILL MOYERS: So, the more of my premium that goes to my health claims, pays for my medical coverage, the less money the company makes.

WENDELL POTTER: That's right. Exactly right.

BILL MOYERS: So they want to reverse that. They don't want my premium to go for my health care, right?

WENDELL POTTER: Exactly right. They--

BILL MOYERS: Where does it go?

WENDELL POTTER: Well, a big chunk of it goes into shareholders' pockets. It's returned to them as part of the investment to them. It goes into the exorbitant salaries that a lot of the executives make. It goes into paying sales, marketing, and underwriting expenses. So a lot of it goes to pay those kinds of administrative functions. Overhead.

BILL MOYERS: When a member of Congress asked the three executives who appeared before the committee-- if they would end the practice of canceling policies for sick enrollees, they refused. Why did they refuse?

WENDELL POTTER: Well, they were talking to Wall Street at that moment. They were saying that because-- I guess they might have to spend some additional dollars to be more vigilant, to make sure that they were not rescinding a policy inappropriately. It makes no sense. The only reason they would have said that is to cover themselves. And to send a signal to Wall Street that you know, we're going to continue business as usual here.

You know, I've been around a long time. And I have to say, I just don't get this. I just don't understand how the corporations can oppose a plan that gives the unhealthy people a chance to be covered. And they don't want to do it themselves.

Well, keep in mind, what they want to do is enhance their profits. Enhance shareholder value. That's number one. And the way that the business that they're in is health care, certainly. But their primary motivation is to reward their shareholders.

Most of the shareholders are large, institutional investors and hedge funds. Hedge fund managers are the ones who look at the stock. And investors for large organizations. It's not mom and pop investor.

Bill Moyers Journal . Wendell Potter on Profits Before Patients | PBS

The problem I have is this: the federal government has fucked up just about everything they've ever touched. The Fed is renowned for incomprehensible waste. How can we trust anything as important as health care in their hands?

The health care crap in Congress right now does not improve anything. If you want Health care to be sold across State lines? It is not in there.

Ezra Klein - The six Republican ideas already in the health-care reform bill

the Senate health-care bill included a compromise with the conservative vision for insurance regulation. The relevant policy is in Section 1333, which allows the formation of interstate compacts. Under this provision, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, and Idaho (for instance) could agree to allow insurers based in any of those states to sell plans in all of them. This prevents a race to the bottom, as Idaho has to be comfortable with Arizona's regulations, and the policies have to have a minimum level of benefits (something that even Rep. Paul Ryan believes), but it's a lot closer to the conservative ideal.
If you want preexisting conditions covered make single bill for that. If you want all non work people covered by one group rate make a single bill for that.

So rather than have the option of either public or private insurance, you'd rather pass legislation telling businesses what services they must offer?

Tort Reform Unlikely to Cut Health Care Costs The Washington Independent

Eighty percent of malpractice claims involve significant disability or death, a 2006 analysis of medical malpractice claims conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health shows, and the amount of compensation patients receive strongly depends on the merits of their claims. Most people injured by medical malpractice do not bring legal claims, earlier studies by the same researchers have found.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/opinion/12baker.html?_r=1

:eusa_whistle:

I want a public and private option

Let everyone who wants to, buy in to Medicare A&B for a reasonable monthly premium and let the free market (sales across state lines) provide the part 'C' supplements and the part 'D' prescription coverage. I'll bet $1.00 that just doing that would make medicare quite solvent.

The stupidest thing we do in this country is let the private insurance industry collect premiums on us from the time we start working and then dump us on the the publicly funded Medicare roster as soon as we hit 65 or become disabled - just when we start needing to spend some of those healthcare dollars that some executive bought a jet with.

Chumps. Every fucking one of us.

We can't afford a public option. Cuz the gummit spent your great-grandchildren's money already. We're tapped out. Government, like individuals, should not spend irresponsibly.

Does that include insurance executives?

What cost should a bureaucracy cost? :eusa_think:

Social Security runs on just 1.2% of the premiums you folks pay for your retirement and disability insurance. That in spite of being run by Congress and the high percentage of customers that make very expensive claims. Hundreds to thousands per month in cash payments depending on your IRS records.

Blue Cross runs at 23%.

What should a bureaucracy cost? :eusa_think:

I don't want government run 'health care' either. I want a public option for health insurance. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to run a bureaucracy that tracks premiums in and payments out.... Why should we pay the salaries we currently do for that particular job in the next economy?

I'd rather have a handful of million dollar execs than a few thousand government hacks in charge of health care.

I disagree. I'd rather the opposite... My opinion is based on the cost comparison of the Social Security bureaucracy with any other insurance bureaucracy on the planet.

1.2%.

Show me a single, solitary, private, for-profit insurance bureaucracy that runs below 5% and I'll kiss your ass on the 50 yard line at half time of any game you buy tickets for. The average is 25%.

There are many reasons why I do not want Owe Bama's Health Care Reform Bill to pass - especially with a public option involved:

(1) The government has proved to us all that they can't manage Social Security.
(2) The governmant has proved to us all that they can't manage Medicare.
(3) The government has proved to us all that they can't manage the Postal System.
(4) The government has just recently proved to us all that they can't manage something as simple as a Cash for Clunkers program.

There are four pretty good reasons right in front of your nose why you should fear Government controlled Health Care Reform. If they are not good enough reasons to prove to you the government has no business in the Health Care Business I can only offer you just one more reason why I don't think the government should get involved:

THE CONSTITUTION DOES NOT SUPPORT THE US GOVERNMENT SELLING INSURANCE TO ANYBODY.

Specific experience in regards accounts and how Government handles OUR money. Now if you are going to chime in with how you run Government accounts do us all a favor and do not lie to us about how you save money. The sad fact is that if an account does not spend every dime it gets that year then next year some other account will get the excess since your account obviously does not need it. No increase for inflation or new contracts or anything else.

Every year account managers get the same speech about ensuring every penny is spent before the end of the fiscal year.

RGS, your Avatar and Handle convey a pride in service to The People while in the employ of the Armed Services, yet you belittle and rail against your colleagues in Federal employ a LOT...

I find that curious. :eusa_think:

There are many reasons why I do not want Owe Bama's Health Care Reform Bill to pass - especially with a public option involved:

(3) The government has proved to us all that they can't manage the Postal System.
(4) The government has just recently proved to us all that they can't manage something as simple as a Cash for Clunkers program.

There are four pretty good reasons right in front of your nose why you should fear Government controlled Health Care Reform. If they are not good enough reasons to prove to you the government has no business in the Health Care Business I can only offer you just one more reason why I don't think the government should get involved:

THE CONSTITUTION DOES NOT SUPPORT THE US GOVERNMENT SELLING INSURANCE TO ANYBODY.

1.2%..... 'Nuff said.
Under funded. Needs young, healthy contributors. Alternative? Make private insurance keep the elderly and the disabled as well as the young and working.
It got fat in the 70's, but it's self sufficient now.
:wtf:

Social Security bureaucracy: 1.2% cost and decisions based on rules drafted by your elected representatives.

Humana Health Care bureaucracy: 23% cost and decisions based on some ass-hole being able to afford a new Ferrari

Chumps.​

THE CONSTITUTION DOES NOT PROHIBIT THE US GOVERNMENT SELLING INSURANCE TO ANYBODY.

Forum List

Back