Why I stopped drinking alcohol

I

Indofred

Most people assume I stopped boozing because I converted to Islam, this not the case.
In fact, I stopped a while before I considered the delights of that religion.

One evening, drunk as I often was, I called into a local Indian take away for a kebab.
While I was waiting, a young girl I knew popped in with an order for her, her sister and her father. The mother had buggered off some few months before because the dad was beating her up.
Her mobile bleeped to announce a text message that, drunkenly peeking at the screen, turned out to be seriously XXX rated as it described in some detail what was going to happen to her that evening.
She, being 15 at the time, seemed a tad young but I was seriously pissed so I made some drunken comment about her boyfriend being a bit of a lad.
"it's my dad", she replied.
To my lasting shame, I was too drunk to think properly so I didn't call the cops as I should have and thus, I didn't save her being raped by her dad for the Nth time.

Can anyone think of a better reason to stop drinking?

What's a problem is not drinking, but getting drunk. Millions of people can enjoy a drink or two without ever having a craving for any more.

If you're not one of us, then you should consider not drinking. But of course millions of people who never touch alcohol hold religious beliefs other than Islam.

It does beg the question of whether someone has the right to interfere into what appears to be a consensual if incestuous relationship. Maybe this is love. Don't they have rights?

John Phillips, known as Papa John of the group the Mamas and the Papas had an incestuous relationship with his daughter Mackenzie for years. Well into her adult life. Actually until his death. Was that wrong? Did it affect his popularity any?

Sad story, Indofred. I hope the girl got away from her abusive dad eventually.

I stopped drinking simply because I drank too much. I quit before it got out of hand. Still get cravings, but I can deal with them. Haven't touched the stuff in nearly 4 years. :)

Most people assume I stopped boozing because I converted to Islam, this not the case.

One evening, drunk as I often was, I called into a local Indian take away for a kebab.
While I was waiting, a young girl I knew popped in with an order for her, her sister and her father. The mother had buggered off some few months before because the dad was beating her up.
Her mobile bleeped to announce a text message that, drunkenly peeking at the screen, turned out to be seriously XXX rated as it described in some detail what was going to happen to her that evening.
She, being 15 at the time, seemed a tad young but I was seriously pissed so I made some drunken comment about her boyfriend being a bit of a lad.
To my lasting shame, I was too drunk to think properly so I didn't call the cops as I should have and thus, I didn't save her being raped by her dad for the Nth time.

lets see....

first off how do you know she was telling you the truth and not yanking the chain of some drunk who was reading personal messages?

and when you did sobered up... why didn't you call the cops then?

It had nothing to do with you drinking.... it had everything with you not wanting to get involved....

lets see....

first off how do you know she was telling you the truth and not yanking the chain of some drunk who was reading personal messages?

It had nothing to do with you drinking.... it had everything with you not wanting to get involved....

Yeah, but if he did call the cops, what would he tell them? He saw a girl who got an X rated text from her dad. Can't give a description, knows nothing other than he saw a girl.
The cops can't do anything with that.

lets see....

Yeah, but if he did call the cops, what would he tell them? He saw a girl who got an X rated text from her dad. Can't give a description, knows nothing other than he saw a girl.

as i said... it was not the drink... it was his ass not wanting to get involved.

And he says.... he knew her...read the post. ..... so the unknown girl story isnt going to cut it.

lets see....

as i said... it was not the drink... it was his ass not wanting to get involved.

And he says.... he knew her...read the post. ..... so the unknown girl story isnt going to cut it.

Doesn't mean he knew where she lived. She could have been someone he'd seen around once or twice.

Indofred wrote: Can anyone think of a better reason to stop drinking?

Coming from an alcoholic home...

... once beaten into a concussion, and having to be on Dilantin for 6 years for seizures...

... any reason is a good reason to quit drinking.

Katz wrote: John Phillips, known as Papa John of the group the Mamas and the Papas had an incestuous relationship with his daughter Mackenzie for years. Well into her adult life. Actually until his death. Was that wrong? Did it affect his popularity any?

No wonder she was so messed up.

Doesn't mean he knew where she lived. She could have been someone he'd seen around once or twice.

:lmao:

sorry noomi.... that still does not cut it. Its called standard police work... you ask him... you ask the vendor... you ask around... she was obviously a regular.

He claims he knew her well enough to know the mother and the father and the sister.

its bullshit noomi. Its a work around to introducing another subject..... just watch and see...... that or he didnt want to get involved.

It would make sense only if your drinking contributed to her abuse.

It did, directly.
Had I been sober, I would have followed the correct path of calling the police instead of letting her get raped again.
I don't generally do regret but that was a special case.
My usual, "Oh fuck it, it'll be OK" doesn't work in this case.

Sadly, it does.
I have no reasonable excuse, save perhaps, I know little of police science so I assumed evidence would be difficult at best by the following afternoon and left it alone.
I moved away to a nearby city a few days later for work and never saw either of them again.
I didn't stop boozing at the time but I did very shortly after that.

Forum List

Back