Why i prefer to be called "rom" instead of "gypsy"

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Speedy Gonzales
the word "gypsy" i think its not offensive per se, but people are quiete ignorant about the meaning of "gypsy" and its usage is quiete controversial in serbian its called "cigan" and in german "zigeuner" once i was in a restaurant with a few coworkers and one guy said as a kid i have been a "zigeuner". that means he was bad behaved as kid. the usage is controversial i prefer to be called romani or "rom" for that reason and because "rom" is a ethnic designation and "gypsy" is often ignorantly used to describe a travelling lifestyle as irish travellers are also called "gypsies" and some others.

what do you make out of this, do you think we should call gypsies rom, romani etc. do you respect that many dont wish to be called gypsies or you think because its tradition in english language they should be called gypsies?

Travelers, pikers, pikies.....your culture is not welcome in much of Europe it seems. I sort of think it is interesting though.

the word "gypsy" i think its not offensive per se, but people are quiete ignorant about the meaning of "gypsy" and its usage is quiete controversial in serbian its called "cigan" and in german "zigeuner" once i was in a restaurant with a few coworkers and one guy said as a kid i have been a "zigeuner". that means he was bad behaved as kid. the usage is controversial i prefer to be called romani or "rom" for that reason and because "rom" is a ethnic designation and "gypsy" is often ignorantly used to describe a travelling lifestyle as irish travellers are also called "gypsies" and some others.

what do you make out of this, do you think we should call gypsies rom, romani etc. do you respect that many dont wish to be called gypsies or you think because its tradition in english language they should be called gypsies?
Being a gypsy is way cooler.

I wouldn't worry about it. You are a person just like the rest of us.

Don't know anything about gypsies except the standard stuff of rumor ... thieves, etc. However, once in a great while I will see a couple episodes about the gypsy weddings. Now THAT seems to be a great big deal among gypsies ... and those bride's gowns ... they've got some very creative seamstresses! It's worth the whole show just to see those gowns. It's interesting to see the whole process - how they meet their dream spouse, family expectations, rituals, etc. One of the recurring things that appears in all the episodes I've seen is that the women keep absolutely immaculate homes. But, it's those gowns that are really, really something to be seen.

Don't know anything about gypsies except the standard stuff of rumor ... thieves, etc. However, once in a great while I will see a couple episodes about the gypsy weddings. Now THAT seems to be a great big deal among gypsies ... and those bride's gowns ... they've got some very creative seamstresses! It's worth the whole show just to see those gowns. It's interesting to see the whole process - how they meet their dream spouse, family expectations, rituals, etc. One of the recurring things that appears in all the episodes I've seen is that the women keep absolutely immaculate homes. But, it's those gowns that are really, really something to be seen.

Im just a western european person actually, or western person. Once i talked on chatroulette with an american and he told me gypsies get angry if their son studies at university and i heard lots of such stuff, but its alien to me, i was at university and finished 12 years education my mum was proud that im at university. I dont know much about gypsy cultural specifics, im just ethnically gypsy but i dont even speak the gypsy language. You could say im a westernised gypsy.

My paternal grandmother's family is Rom. It's also my sister's middle name and my daughter's middle name.
Some of my cousins choose to identify with our surname which has Jewish roots. To that end, they have converted to Jew-ism. I have no desire to go there. I am Rom.

Now give me a place to camp or I'll cut your throat bitch!

My paternal grandmother's family is Rom. It's also my sister's middle name and my daughter's middle name.
Some of my cousins choose to identify with our surname which has Jewish roots. To that end, they have converted to Jew-ism. I have no desire to go there. I am Rom.

Now give me a place to camp or I'll cut your throat bitch!

Yanno -- if you worked with your local Civil Defense office....
CIVIL%20DEFENSE.jpg

----- You could be a CD Rom. :D

Forum List

Back