Why I Parted Ways With The Right

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Interesting piece. I've often thought the 'right' a odd and uncomfortable coalition, but I never expected the nuttiness that calls itself right/conservative today. It is refreshing to see some on the right admitting the wackiness.

Leaving the Right - The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

"It seems to me that now is a critical time for more people whose principles lie broadly on the center-right to do so - against the conservative degeneracy in front of us. Those who have taken such a stand - to one degree or other - demand respect."

Little Green Footballs - Why I Parted Ways With The Right

6. Support for anti-government lunacy (see: tea parties, militias, Fox News, Glenn Beck, etc.)

10. Hatred for President Obama that goes far beyond simply criticizing his policies, into racism, hate speech, and bizarre conspiracy theories (see: witch doctor pictures, tea parties, Birthers, Michelle Malkin, Fox News, World Net Daily, Newsmax, and every other right wing source)

Two are enough, see others in link.

Last edited:
Why I Parted Ways With The Right

The Right has been neutered so you needn't concern yourself with them. Now Americans have to come to grips with the fascist liberals that are in power, but they still have a huge cult following. They will be America's downfall if Americans don't wake up soon.

is anyone surprised midcan uses a loon to support his hate of the right? and the guy isn't really leaving the right at all....his views of the right are twisted and wrong.

I can't claim the same courage as these folks because I've always been fickle in partisan terms. To have supported Reagan and Bush and Clinton and Dole and Bush and Kerry and Obama suggests I never had a party to quit.

I cannot support a movement that holds torture as a core value.

^ that is plain lie, the right doesn't hold that as a core value....

I cannot support a movement that holds that purely religious doctrine should govern civil political decisions

^also a lie

i could go on, but the point is, this is so wrong he makes obama look right

The people are the right are idiots.

They have almost destroyed America.

Curious how no one on the right can seriously address the issues raised by Sullivan and Charles Johnson? What does that say about the right given Sullivan's influence.

"Charles Johnson is absolutely right in my view to get off that wagon for the reasons [he] has stated. Read his testament. It is full of emotion, but also of honesty." AS

10. Hatred for President Obama that goes far beyond simply criticizing his policies, into racism, hate speech, and bizarre conspiracy theories (see: witch doctor pictures, tea parties, Birthers, Michelle Malkin, Fox News, World Net Daily, Newsmax, and every other right wing source)

you lost me at Racism.

but then again.. you fail to realize that the Left Criticized and made out Bush to be the worst guy ever.. and i mean ever..

So no need to cry about people talking crap about Obama..

Curious how no one on the right can seriously address the issues raised by Sullivan and Charles Johnson? What does that say about the right given Sullivan's influence.

"Charles Johnson is absolutely right in my view to get off that wagon for the reasons [he] has stated. Read his testament. It is full of emotion, but also of honesty." AS
What's the point in critiquing a couple of drips, whose lists are largely ad hominem stereotypes and apparently completely ignore that much of the same behavior is being exhibited by the left?

but then again.. you fail to realize that the Left Criticized and made out Bush to be the worst guy ever.. and i mean ever..

George W. Bush had eight whole years - during that time we were attacked, and he then attacked the wrong nation allowing OBL to hide - he lowered taxes, going from surplus to deficit, he embarrassed the nation constantly, Katrina was a disaster. I cannot think of a positive unless constant vacationing is presidential. So after three or four years you can review Obama, right now it is the same idiocy that greeted Clinton when he won. Seems the 'right' can yell and scream, but in power only fail.

I cannot support a movement that claims to believe in limited government but backed an unlimited domestic and foreign policy presidency that assumed illegal, extra-constitutional dictatorial powers until forced by the system to return to the rule of law.

I cannot support a movement that exploded spending and borrowing and blames its successor for the debt.

I cannot support a movement that so abandoned government's minimal and vital role to police markets and address natural disasters that it gave us Katrina and the financial meltdown of 2008.

I cannot support a movement that holds torture as a core value.

I cannot support a movement that holds that purely religious doctrine should govern civil political decisions and that uses the sacredness of religious faith for the pursuit of worldly power.

I cannot support a movement that is deeply homophobic, cynically deploys fear of homosexuals to win votes, and gives off such a racist vibe that its share of the minority vote remains pitiful.

I cannot support a movement which has no real respect for the institutions of government and is prepared to use any tactic and any means to fight political warfare rather than conduct a political conversation.

I cannot support a movement that sees permanent war as compatible with liberal democratic norms and limited government.

I cannot support a movement that criminalizes private behavior in the war on drugs.

I cannot support a movement that would back a vice-presidential candidate manifestly unqualified and duplicitous because of identity politics and electoral cynicism.

I cannot support a movement that regards gay people as threats to their own families.

I cannot support a movement that does not accept evolution as a fact.

I cannot support a movement that sees climate change as a hoax and offers domestic oil exploration as the core plank of an energy policy.

I cannot support a movement that refuses ever to raise taxes, while proposing no meaningful reductions in government spending.

I cannot support a movement that refuses to distance itself from a demagogue like Rush Limbaugh or a nutjob like Glenn Beck.

I cannot support a movement that believes that the United States should be the sole global power, should sustain a permanent war machine to police the entire planet, and sees violence as the core tool for international relations.

George W. Bush had eight whole years - during that time we were attacked, and he then attacked the wrong nation allowing OBL to hide - he lowered taxes, going from surplus to deficit, he embarrassed the nation constantly, Katrina was a disaster. I cannot think of a positive unless constant vacationing is presidential. So after three or four years you can review Obama, right now it is the same idiocy that greeted Clinton when he won. Seems the 'right' can yell and scream, but in power only fail.

And there it is folks, another Liberal who Recited the Media.

Since when is Lowering taxes a bad thing? oh wait.. that's right people prefer The Government taking the money instead of the person who rightfully earned it to spend it how they please.

1. Signed two income tax cuts, one of which was the largest dollar-value tax cut in world history.
2. Supports permanent elimination of the death tax.
3. Turned around an inherited economy that was in recession, and deeply shocked as a result of the 9/11 attacks.
4. Is seeking legislation to amend the Constitution to give the president line-item veto authority.
5. In process of permanently eliminating IRS marriage penalty.
6. Increased small business incentives to expand and to hire new people.
7. Initiated discussion on privatizing Social Security and individual investment accounts.
8. Killed Clinton's "ergonomic" rules that OSHA was about to implement; rules would have shut down every home business in America.
9. Passed tough new laws to hold corporate criminals to account as a result of corporate scandals.
10. Reduced taxes on dividends and capital gains.
11. Signed trade promotion authority.
12. Reduced and is working to ultimately eliminate the estate tax for family farms and ranches.
13. Fight Europe's ban on importing biotech crops from the United States.
14. Exempt food from unilateral trade sanctions and embargoes.
15. Provided $20 million to states to help people with disabilities work from home.
16. Created a fund to encourage technologies that help the disabled.
17. Increased the annual contribution limit on Education IRA's from $500 to $2,000 per child.
18. Make permanent the $5,000 adoption tax credit and provide $1 billion over five years to increase the credit to $10,000.
19. Grant a complete tax exemption for prepaid or college tuition savings plans.

Clinton surplus
The Myth of the Clinton Surplus

Time and time again, anyone reading the mainstream news or reading articles on the Internet will read the claim that President Clinton not only balanced the budget, but had a surplus. This is then used as an argument to further highlight the fiscal irresponsibility of the federal government under the Bush administration.

The claim is generally made that Clinton had a surplus of $69 billion in FY1998, $123 billion in FY1999 and $230 billion in FY2000 . In that same link, Clinton claimed that the national debt had been reduced by $360 billion in the last three years, presumably FY1998, FY1999, and FY2000--though, interestingly, $360 billion is not the sum of the alleged surpluses of the three years in question ($69B + $123B + $230B = $422B, not $360B).

While not defending the increase of the federal debt under President Bush, it's curious to see Clinton's record promoted as having generated a surplus. It never happened. There was never a surplus and the facts support that position. In fact, far from a $360 billion reduction in the national debt in FY1998-FY2000, there was an increase of $281 billion.

Verifying this is as simple as accessing the U.S. Treasury (see note about this link below) website where the national debt is updated daily and a history of the debt since January 1993 can be obtained. Considering the government's fiscal year ends on the last day of September each year, and considering Clinton's budget proposal in 1993 took effect in October 1993 and concluded September 1994 (FY1994), here's the national debt at the end of each year of Clinton Budgets:

I cannot support a movement which has no real respect for the institutions of government and is prepared to use any tactic and any means to fight political warfare rather than conduct a political conversation.

I think this is a critical fault with both political parties today. There is no middle ground anymore. Compromise=defeat. Both parties are more concerned with political victories and building political capital than doing what is right for the American people.
There are no politicians today that can reach across the aisle to forge a compromise. If they do, they are severely punished by their party. A win-win compromise is still looked at as a loss because you allowed the other side to win also.
In the end...the American people lose

Interesting piece. I've often thought the 'right' a odd and uncomfortable coalition, but I never expected the nuttiness that calls itself right/conservative today. It is refreshing to see some on the right admitting the wackiness.

Leaving the Right - The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

"It seems to me that now is a critical time for more people whose principles lie broadly on the center-right to do so - against the conservative degeneracy in front of us. Those who have taken such a stand - to one degree or other - demand respect."

Little Green Footballs - Why I Parted Ways With The Right

6. Support for anti-government lunacy (see: tea parties, militias, Fox News, Glenn Beck, etc.)

Two are enough, see others in link.

It's a pile of crap written by a Fucking Libtard

New Topics

Forum List

Back