Why I love the government

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Because only the government would think it makes sense to charge a person a towing fee for being the victim of a crime.

A woman who was set on fire at a gas station says she's being victimized again, this time by hundreds of dollars in car towing fees levied by the state of Florida.
Naomie Breton, 34, has to pay $340 for having her car towed from the gas station where police say the father of her son set her on fire Monday, television station WPBF of Palm Beach, Fla., reported.
"I think it's a disgrace," Breton told WPBF. "It's not like I had a choice of where my car went to. I was on fire. So therefore, my car is here now and I have to pay you to get what's mine back? That's not right."
Adding insult to injury, Breton also is on the hook for the $363 towing bill -- plus the $25-a-day late fee -- owed by the man accused of attacking her, Roosevelt Mondesir, WPBF reported.
Both his and her names are on the car. Mondesir, 52, is behind bars at the Palm Beach County Jail, being held without bail on a charge of attempted first-degree murder.

Florida woman who was set on fire now hit with fees to have cars towed from gas station - U.S. News

Because only the government would think it makes sense to charge a person a towing fee for being the victim of a crime.

A woman who was set on fire at a gas station says she's being victimized again, this time by hundreds of dollars in car towing fees levied by the state of Florida.
Naomie Breton, 34, has to pay $340 for having her car towed from the gas station where police say the father of her son set her on fire Monday, television station WPBF of Palm Beach, Fla., reported.
"I think it's a disgrace," Breton told WPBF. "It's not like I had a choice of where my car went to. I was on fire. So therefore, my car is here now and I have to pay you to get what's mine back? That's not right."
Adding insult to injury, Breton also is on the hook for the $363 towing bill -- plus the $25-a-day late fee -- owed by the man accused of attacking her, Roosevelt Mondesir, WPBF reported.
Both his and her names are on the car. Mondesir, 52, is behind bars at the Palm Beach County Jail, being held without bail on a charge of attempted first-degree murder.

Florida woman who was set on fire now hit with fees to have cars towed from gas station - U.S. News

Lame

Who should pay the fees? The gas station? This is what normally happens in this case. She will sue the man for damages, the car towing will be included and she will win. The end.

Proof that even State level gov'ts are only there to f*ck you then charge you for the hotel and condoms.

No lube, not even a kiss goodbye!

Lame

Who should pay the fees? The gas station? This is what normally happens in this case. She will sue the man for damages, the car towing will be included and she will win. The end.

The guy is in jail, and broke, when is she supposed to collect?

"I think it's a disgrace," Breton told WPBF. "It's not like I had a choice of where my car went to.http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...fees-to-have-cars-towed-from-gas-station?lite
That's because the Towing Company is giving kickbacks to the local gov't as a condition of getting the contract in the first place.

But that's a Conspiracy Theory.

The same thing exists with the contracts for Intersection Red Light Ticket Cameras. Time the yellow light of a ticket camera intersection sometime.

But that's another Conspiracy Theory.

Lame

Of course you can sue people in jail or awaiting trial. Happens all the time. And who says he's broke? She rolled up in a mercedes, he rolled up in a Jag. They are ex's who have a 4 year old together. The story doesn't make him sound broke, it makes him sound rich. I'm sure the Jag would cover the cost of the towing. So yes, he can most definetly afford to pay.

Lame

Of course you can sue people in jail or awaiting trial. Happens all the time. And who says he's broke? She rolled up in a mercedes, he rolled up in a Jag. They are ex's who have a 4 year old together. The story doesn't make him sound broke, it makes him sound rich. I'm sure the Jag would cover the cost of the towing. So yes, he can most definetly afford to pay.

He rolled up in a Jag she cosigned for, or did you miss the part where they bought it together?

Lame

So people should sell their cars to cover the cost of Towing?

If you think they have money they should pay no matter right or wrong?

He rolled up in a Jag she cosigned for, or did you miss the part where they bought it together?

I did miss that part, because its not in the article. The article states that her car has both names on it. Meaning he co-signed for her, not the other way around.

Even then, you show no sign that the man is flat broke and couldn't afford to pay the $300 plus. You seem to be assuming that he has no money in any bank account, his car has no equity, and he has no job, so he has no final paycheck coming. Those are quite a lot of assumptions on your part.

No thats not what I said at all. What I said was, if you are sued, and you lose, you should have to pay. If that involves selling some of your stuff, because you have no money, then that sucks to be you.

Not that any of that really matters now anyways as he is standing trial for attempted first degree murder. He will never see any of his stuff again. He should just decide to be a good dad and give it all to the mother of his child anyways, who will be most likely raising their child from here on out.

it is rick scotts fault...it must BE!

No thats not what I said at all. What I said was, if you are sued, and you lose, you should have to pay. If that involves selling some of your stuff, because you have no money, then that sucks to be you.
So that means rich people, who can afford to lose, can just hire an army of lawyers and sue all year long for whatever reason right?

Poor people will then just say: "I'd better admit guilt and settle, I can't afford to lose!"

Wow, you really don't like poor people do you?

So that means rich people, who can afford to lose, can just hire an army of lawyers and sue all year long for whatever reason right?

Poor people will then just say: "I'd better admit guilt and settle, I can't afford to lose!"

You are really stretching it trying to win this argument aren't you? You've completely gone off the deep end.

So are you suggesting that if you are sued and lose, that there is not reason for you to pay at all?

Got it. Suing she be completely pointless in America, hell we might as well get rid of it completely.

You are really stretching it trying to win this argument aren't you? You've completely gone off the deep end.

So are you suggesting that if you are sued and lose, that there is not reason for you to pay at all?

Got it. Suing she be completely pointless in America, hell we might as well get rid of it completely.
Yes! You don't think that "loser pays" skews the case toward the monied interests? You call that a "Level Playing Field"?

It's supposed to be a "Justice System" that you can't buy. How would "loser pays" work towards that? (That's not a stretch at all)

Yes! You don't think that "loser pays" skews the case toward the monied interests? You call that a "Level Playing Field"?

It's supposed to be a "Justice System" that you can't buy. How would "loser pays" work towards that? (That's not a stretch at all)
Holy shit, are you for real?

In our justice system, when lose, it means that you were guilty.

That means you are guilty of what you are being sued for. That means that you pay the fucking damages.

Wow.....you must be a product of public education.

it is rick scotts fault...it must BE!
Jeb BOOOOOOOOSH

Further, to get back on point. I see nothing in this article that the government did wrong. The police caught the guy. The firemen probably showed up and treated her wounds before she was taken to the hospital.

Did the government tow the car? Almost definetly not. They don't tow cars out of businesses unless the business asks them too. So what we see here is the gas station called and had the car towed. The tow company refuses to release it until its payed. WTF does that have to do with the govenment forcing her to pay? The answer, nothing. The tow company is forcing her to pay, since thats the business they are in.

I did miss that part, because its not in the article. The article states that her car has both names on it. Meaning he co-signed for her, not the other way around.

Even then, you show no sign that the man is flat broke and couldn't afford to pay the $300 plus. You seem to be assuming that he has no money in any bank account, his car has no equity, and he has no job, so he has no final paycheck coming. Those are quite a lot of assumptions on your part.

That is not what the article says.

Further, to get back on point. I see nothing in this article that the government did wrong. The police caught the guy. The firemen probably showed up and treated her wounds before she was taken to the hospital.

Did the government tow the car? Almost definetly not. They don't tow cars out of businesses unless the business asks them too. So what we see here is the gas station called and had the car towed. The tow company refuses to release it until its payed. WTF does that have to do with the govenment forcing her to pay? The answer, nothing. The tow company is forcing her to pay, since thats the business they are in.

Did you miss the part of the article where she is the fees are levied by the state of Florida? Do you even fracking read linked articles before you form your opinions?

Forum List

Back