Why I love politics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MaggieMae, Aug 17, 2009.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    The love of the game. Win some, lose some. Cross fingers and hope in the end the best [man/team/bill] wins.

Here's how the health care reform game is likely to play out, comparing it to my equal love of football:

A hard-fought 21-16 championship game, fourth quarter, five minutes left, third in ten with the ball at the 50. The losing offense needs more than a field goal but can't risk the long pass getting intercepted. So the safest strategy is to move the ball far enough on the third down to hopefully pick up another first down but a fourth would do. Call time out. The game is normally won or lost on the next heart-stopping play.

Now the political strategy for moving the health care bill down the field:

(1) House votes on its final version which contains the controversial public option. (Game plan.)

(2) Senate passes it's version without the public option in order to get the required 60 votes. (Strategy.)

(3) House and Senate go to reconciliation conference. (Time out.)

(4) Final draft bill puts public option back in. (Final play.)

(6) Bill passes because only 51 votes are needed (a simple majority).

The "loving it" part of politics, for me, is the Ah HAH!! moment when the maneuvering all comes together and makes sense, such as, the sudden decision by the Obama camp to tamp down the importance of the "public option." (Oh really...)

[The above scenario compliments of Dr. Howard Dean, who appeared on several cable news channels this morning. The football analogy was my own.]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    What? No football fans?

3. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,977
    Not a football fan, but quite a political junkie, so the analogy is understood.

Also, quite a Dr. Dean fan as well.

4. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Great post Maggs

5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    This Health Care Reform Bill is going to be the defining element of the Obama Presidency. If he fails to get it passed, he will go down in flames - which he just might regardless depending on what the economy does as a result of the huge stimulus money being spent with little or no meaningful results. The cost of the Health Care Reform bill is going to come heavily into play because I think most Americans don't want to spend this kind of money at a time when the economy is not anything near "good". How Obama comes up with the money to pay for it will be a key to the bill's passage. Now, if this Health Care Reform bill gets passed with the current publics very low opinion of it, there will be a large number of unemployed Democrat Congressmembers come the next election. The House most likely will change over to Republican control and that will also be Obama's defining moment. The absolute best thing he could do, politically, is to call a TIME OUT, and carry this ball into the locker room to have it well-discussed and come back out to the field with a better game plan. Under it's current form, economic situation of the nation, public opinion considered, and Congressional support, I think Obama looses the game 21 - 20 in overtime.

6. Meister

Meister Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,102
    I see this game as a 21-19 game. The quaterback has been injured, but not season ending at this point. The offense goes for a sure 3 pointer to win the game, and not the 7 points to cover the spread.
    The quaterback is already in some pain, and if he had stayed for the spread, he may have suffered a season ending injury.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  7. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    18 + 3 = 21

Wouldn't that tie the score 21 - 21?

I could be wrong. Math isn't my strong suit.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Meister

Meister Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,102
    My bad

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The "loving it" part of politics, for me, is the Ah HAH!! moment when the maneuvering all comes together and makes sense, such as, the sudden decision by the Obama camp to tamp down the importance of the "public option." (Oh really...)

Exactly why I learned to hate politics--there NEVER is a time when the maneuvering comes together. Only brief vignettes of the same old crap from both parties. Over and over and over.

10. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    of course when they win the other side will blame the refs for years.