Why I don't talk politics at work

R

rdean

The reason I don't talk politics at work, first and formost, is because I'm getting paid to work. But it's not the only reason.

I was discussing a customer's needs with two salesmen and one made a joke about Bush. The other one became outraged insisting that Bush "saved" this country from al Qaeda and Saddam and history will see George W. Bush as one of the greatest presidents of all time and Iraq will be our close ally in the Middle East. Now, if this had been said 5 or 6 years ago, then OK, someone is still "hoping". But this was said 5 or 6 weeks ago. The first salesman said that's a joke right, and very quickly, it became apparent, it wasn't a joke. Believe it or not, I said we were there discussing a customer's needs, Let's get back to that.

Then there is a very nice lady electrical engineer who said she likes Republicans because of their family values. Or at least she did. It was some months ago she believed Republicans had strong family values. But in the last couple of months, with their outright hatred of the gays, working to cut food stamps when nearly 50% of recipients are children, cutting daycare (she's glad her husband is a stay at home dad) and their other attacks, especially on woman's reproductive rights (she is pro life and pro choice and believes it can be managed through education) and the attacks on education, she is now firmly in the Democratic camp. But because of the previous views, we never talked politics since we have to work together.

And now we have a new PhD from China. He is a citizen and moved here years ago because he's a Catholic and wanted to practice his religion. He asked if I were a Democrat or a Republican. I told him I could never belong to a party that was 90% white and the majority believed the earth is only a few thousand years old. He said that I was taken in by the political rhetoric. No one believes the earth is only thousands of years old. That's stupid. Where does something so ridiculous even come from. That political parties are always trying to smear each other with such nonsense no one could possible believe. Clearly this guy considers himself "Republican". So I told him, "Come here, let me show you PEW research and Gallup".

800px-Creation_museum_triceratops_saddle.jpg

I showed him some of other their other research and poll results. Clearly, if these two organizations are partisan, it's effect is very small.

At that point, he said, "No more politics. Not something to be discussed at work". I had to agree. One thing we did agree on that it's ridiculous that a large majority of a political party could believe the earth is thousands of years old.

What other loony things do they believe? Now it's understood why I think Republicans are "zany". They can be made to believe the wackiest stuff.

The reason I don't talk politics at work, first and formost, is because I'm getting paid to work. But it's not the only reason.

I was discussing a customer's needs with two salesmen and one made a joke about Bush. The other one became outraged insisting that Bush "saved" this country from al Qaeda and Saddam and history will see George W. Bush as one of the greatest presidents of all time and Iraq will be our close ally in the Middle East. Now, if this had been said 5 or 6 years ago, then OK, someone is still "hoping". But this was said 5 or 6 weeks ago. The first salesman said that's a joke right, and very quickly, it became apparent, it wasn't a joke. Believe it or not, I said we were there discussing a customer's needs, Let's get back to that.

Then there is a very nice lady electrical engineer who said she likes Republicans because of their family values. Or at least she did. It was some months ago she believed Republicans had strong family values. But in the last couple of months, with their outright hatred of the gays, working to cut food stamps when nearly 50% of recipients are children, cutting daycare (she's glad her husband is a stay at home dad) and their other attacks, especially on woman's reproductive rights (she is pro life and pro choice and believes it can be managed through education) and the attacks on education, she is now firmly in the Democratic camp. But because of the previous views, we never talked politics since we have to work together.

And now we have a new PhD from China. He is a citizen and moved here years ago because he's a Catholic and wanted to practice his religion. He asked if I were a Democrat or a Republican. I told him I could never belong to a party that was 90% white and the majority believed the earth is only a few thousand years old. He said that I was taken in by the political rhetoric. No one believes the earth is only thousands of years old. That's stupid. Where does something so ridiculous even come from. That political parties are always trying to smear each other with such nonsense no one could possible believe. Clearly this guy considers himself "Republican". So I told him, "Come here, let me show you PEW research and Gallup".

I showed him some of other their other research and poll results. Clearly, if these two organizations are partisan, it's effect is very small.

At that point, he said, "No more politics. Not something to be discussed at work". I had to agree. One thing we did agree on that it's ridiculous that a large majority of a political party could believe the earth is thousands of years old.

What other loony things do they believe? Now it's understood why I think Republicans are "zany". They can be made to believe the wackiest stuff.

Dean im sure your boss would pissed if he saw you riding the exhibits....like you said.....your paid to work.....

5-6 weeks ago you were told no more talking politics?

Didn't you post earlier how you were discussing evolution (and YOU called it politics) and were told "no more".

i see you listen as well at work as you do here

:cuckoo:

There's a ditzy member of congress from Arizona who was videotaped ranting about how the earth is only 4-6 thousand years old. Republican, of course.

I think it was in the book, What's The Matter With Kansas that the author talks about the incredible stupidity of the Creation Museum that has an exhibit of an animatronic dino with a saddle on it. Could have been a different book but the closed minded ignorance really is just astounding.

Driving through San Juan, Puerto Rico, which is a very vibrant and modern city (as well as having the expected poor areas), there is an enormous brick building just off the highway. Its a "church" slash "museum" (anything to get that tax free status) and painted on the side is a generic dinosaur (generic because they don't need to be bothered with facts) and something about people coexisting with the dinosaurs.

What strikes me about this anti-fact religion is that its aimed at separating fools from their money. Apparently, its working.

And, its all part of the Republican push against education. They want their constituents DUMB and GULLIGLE. That seems to be working pretty well too.

BTW, I'm retired, don't work at a paying job but do a lot of volunteer and by damn, I DO talk politics. The more people know about the fraud that IS Mittens and the FACTS about Obama, the likely they'll vote for their own best interests.

Considering how the damn corrupt Rs are buying and lying their way to getting their puppet elected, I don't hesitate to point people to FACTS so they can make an educated decision.

But, I also understand that losing a job these days is just plain dangerous. You've got to do what is best for your own family. JMO.

There's a ditzy member of congress from Arizona who was videotaped ranting about how the earth is only 4-6 thousand years old. Republican, of course.

I think it was in the book, What's The Matter With Kansas that the author talks about the incredible stupidity of the Creation Museum that has an exhibit of an animatronic dino with a saddle on it. Could have been a different book but the closed minded ignorance really is just astounding.

Driving through San Juan, Puerto Rico, which is a very vibrant and modern city (as well as having the expected poor areas), there is an enormous brick building just off the highway. Its a "church" slash "museum" (anything to get that tax free status) and painted on the side is a generic dinosaur (generic because they don't need to be bothered with facts) and something about people coexisting with the dinosaurs.

What strikes me about this anti-fact religion is that its aimed at separating fools from their money. Apparently, its working.

And, its all part of the Republican push against education. They want their constituents DUMB and GULLIGLE. That seems to be working pretty well too.

BTW, I'm retired, don't work at a paying job but do a lot of volunteer and by damn, I DO talk politics. The more people know about the fraud that IS Mittens and the FACTS about Obama, the likely they'll vote for their own best interests.

Considering how the damn corrupt Rs are buying and lying their way to getting their puppet elected, I don't hesitate to point people to FACTS so they can make an educated decision.

But, I also understand that losing a job these days is just plain dangerous. You've got to do what is best for your own family. JMO.

Dudley....your buddy Frankie using his terms would have you classified as a Dem Dupe....do you believe everything the Democrats tell you?....or are you just gullible and dumb?....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4KR1zVqizo]My Cousin Vinny Cross Examination - YouTube[/ame]

People laugh at you there too?

:lmao:

same thing i said......

Why is it that the rw's ALWAYS resort to name calling?

Funny you should ask.

Reason is very simple.

They have no original ideas and they know the old ideas are dead wrong.I suspect they knew it back when they voted for King George The Younger but they did it anyway. TWICE, for christs sake.

They also know that a R vote is vote against America and against their own best interest. And as I've said before, what is most disturbing is that they KNOW that voting R is a vote against their own children's best interest.

Okay, rw's, you can go back to childish name calling but surely you know that no one is fooled.

Except other rw's.

Luddly, religion has nothing to do with facts. It's about faith; no facts are required. The Bible says God created sea monsters, then he created sea monsters; the Bible says God created everything in 6 days, then it happen in six days; the Bible said Noah put two of all living creatures in the ark, then he put them all in ark, all 1.7 million. It's just takes faith, lots of faith.

People laugh at you there too?

:lmao:

same thing i said......

Why is it that the rw's ALWAYS resort to name calling?

Funny you should ask.

Reason is very simple.

They have no original ideas and they know the old ideas are dead wrong.I suspect they knew it back when they voted for King George The Younger but they did it anyway. TWICE, for christs sake.

They also know that a R vote is vote against America and against their own best interest. And as I've said before, what is most disturbing is that they KNOW that voting R is a vote against their own children's best interest.

Okay, rw's, you can go back to childish name calling but surely you know that no one is fooled.

Except other rw's.

so what Dudley.....you have been fooled by the Left Wingers.....whats the difference if both you and a Right Winger have been fooled?.....the only difference i can see is you think the Democrats are standing with you,but in reality they are fucking you behind your back......Republicans tell you to your face they are fucking you....your both getting fucked.....so who is better off?....

RDean: Why I don't talk politics at work

So if we checked the time stamps on your posts we'd find at least an 8-hour block each day sans posts?

Forum List

Back