Why I Dont Take Christianity Seriously Any More

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
It's essentially because the clergy in Christianity do not take their own message seriously themselves.

By 'seriously' I mean being willing to go against the main stream and mean it. Plenty of clergy make a showing of believing their core doctrines, etc, but in private tell a different story. It is plain enough when you observe the kind of members they surround themselves with. If their inner circle actually is known for making hard sacrifices to do what is right, then kudos to them, but they are the exception these days.

I remember when I was growing up how Baptists would debate whether it was a sin for a woman to wear pants. The more moderate preachers would say that men wearing pants was merely a social convention and it would not affect a persons eternal destiny, while others argued that it was a sin for a woman to dress like a man. Historically, Joan of Arc was burned at the stake for doing this, but it seems we have mellowed quite a bit since then.

But when I discussed the subject with moderates, they really didnt seem to have a convincing argument. They spoke mostly of the absurdity, how women are being treated unfair, etc, but not much reference to the Bible.

The ones that wanted such behavior banned and damned as sin made the ole slippery slope argument; now its wearing pants, but in the future it wil be the difference between men and women altogether!

And looking back it would seem that they are right. I have had many ocasions where I heard clergy talking amongst themselves in a fairly honest way, and it was trying to my soul to hear the blasphemy, the slander and the vile wretchedness that would pour from the mouths of these men when they spoke on the assumption that none of it would ever get out.

When I converted to Catholicism, I found I loved the concepts, the system of theology and the deep history that went along with Catholicism. But the church'es lay leadership has on way too many ocasions proven to me that it has no respect for the actual teachings of the church, and is totally over-run with people who pretend to follow the church but do not.

I have seen it in religious retreats, with the admins to Catholic message boards, with Jesuit priests, etc. The hypocrisy is just over-whelming to the point I just cant stand going to mass any more, knowing that the vast majority of the people sitting in the pews with me are using contraceptives, skipping confession and are living in open premarital relationships and no one says a thing.

So why should I give a flip if the priests themselves dont? if the priests are just as happy to surround themselves with the most audacious fakers in the parish?

I cannot leave the church. I made an oath and I will keep it.

But as to the fate of the church, or what might befall it in the near future...I really could not care less any more.

I dont hate the church; I still love it in the abstract. But as to the leadership of the church, I will not do one thing to conform to what they teach any more, period unless they start enforcing their own rules.

The same goes for any other denomination of Christianity as well.

Why bother?

Because it's true. What other reason is there?

If it is true then why dont the clergy behave as if it were true?

If it is true then why dont the parish councils and admin behave as if it were true?

If it is true, then why do Christian leaders draw the frauds and conmen to them instead of those seeking Truth?

If it is true then why are there so many frauds in leadership positions in organized Christianity?

I think the underlying facts of Christianity are sound, but I am beginning to think that beyond the most basic moral claims there is nothing but someone's opinion and thousands of others who will turn that opinion into 'law'.

I'm done fighting that fight. I will speak for me and nobody else here on out.

I take it seriously. Everybody else in this world has their choice not to though. That's the beauty of free will.

Well there's a stupid reason to stay in an organization, which you no longer care about.

Why bother?
Don't. Follow what you feel is right, which is obviously not the church. Shit-can the dumb shit, you don't need a church to pray, and read religious texts. Christianity is a religion where the actions of the heart and mind are most important, and I don't recall Jesus ever saying that you had to go to church every Sunday, to pay homage to a guy wearing a fancy dress, and a creepy statue of a mangled, dead Jesus.

There's other religions too, or you could join us.

It's essentially because the clergy in Christianity do not take their own message seriously themselves.

By 'seriously' I mean being willing to go against the main stream and mean it. Plenty of clergy make a showing of believing their core doctrines, etc, but in private tell a different story. It is plain enough when you observe the kind of members they surround themselves with. If their inner circle actually is known for making hard sacrifices to do what is right, then kudos to them, but they are the exception these days.

I remember when I was growing up how Baptists would debate whether it was a sin for a woman to wear pants. The more moderate preachers would say that men wearing pants was merely a social convention and it would not affect a persons eternal destiny, while others argued that it was a sin for a woman to dress like a man. Historically, Joan of Arc was burned at the stake for doing this, but it seems we have mellowed quite a bit since then.

But when I discussed the subject with moderates, they really didnt seem to have a convincing argument. They spoke mostly of the absurdity, how women are being treated unfair, etc, but not much reference to the Bible.

The ones that wanted such behavior banned and damned as sin made the ole slippery slope argument; now its wearing pants, but in the future it wil be the difference between men and women altogether!

And looking back it would seem that they are right. I have had many ocasions where I heard clergy talking amongst themselves in a fairly honest way, and it was trying to my soul to hear the blasphemy, the slander and the vile wretchedness that would pour from the mouths of these men when they spoke on the assumption that none of it would ever get out.

When I converted to Catholicism, I found I loved the concepts, the system of theology and the deep history that went along with Catholicism. But the church'es lay leadership has on way too many ocasions proven to me that it has no respect for the actual teachings of the church, and is totally over-run with people who pretend to follow the church but do not.

I have seen it in religious retreats, with the admins to Catholic message boards, with Jesuit priests, etc. The hypocrisy is just over-whelming to the point I just cant stand going to mass any more, knowing that the vast majority of the people sitting in the pews with me are using contraceptives, skipping confession and are living in open premarital relationships and no one says a thing.

So why should I give a flip if the priests themselves dont? if the priests are just as happy to surround themselves with the most audacious fakers in the parish?

But as to the fate of the church, or what might befall it in the near future...I really could not care less any more.

I dont hate the church; I still love it in the abstract. But as to the leadership of the church, I will not do one thing to conform to what they teach any more, period unless they start enforcing their own rules.

Why bother?
My brother, I implore you to find a church that teaches, preaches and lives according to the Word of God. If you belong to a church that is not, then it's not a church you should belong to (that was kinda weird wording). Anyway, your very soul depends on it.

Why bother?

The BeJebuss wore a dress.

Just sayin....:eusa_whistle:

If it is true then why dont the parish councils and admin behave as if it were true?

If it is true, then why do Christian leaders draw the frauds and conmen to them instead of those seeking Truth?

If it is true then why are there so many frauds in leadership positions in organized Christianity?

I think the underlying facts of Christianity are sound, but I am beginning to think that beyond the most basic moral claims there is nothing but someone's opinion and thousands of others who will turn that opinion into 'law'.

Beware of wolves in sheeps clothing my friend.
There's PLENTY of good clergy out there

So because others fail to live the truth, that means you should ignore it too?

Either Jesus is the Christ or He is a fraud. There is only one way to find out. And that is by going to the Father and learning from Him like Peter did. If you think God is going to excuse you for not believing the truth because others didn't, then you've missed the point of the Gospel and of our personal accountability before God.

But that doesn't help him in his desired path. If he takes into account the good clergy, then he can't ignore Christianity according to his argument.

Last edited:
Christianity is the most simple and the only true religion. 1st its not really a religion, its a FAITH! A faith in the Word of God! And that what is written was written by those led by God! There are a few specific concepts that all Christians should strive to live by, and these are only accomplished through constant prayer with Our God! They cannot be achieved on our own. The 10 commandments are a way of showing us that we cannot be "good" enough to get to heaven on our own! It only takes breaking 1 of the commandments to keep us from heaven! Only 1 man ever lived who never broke a single commandment...Jesus Christ. And it was his sacrifice of his life on the cross that opened the door for all of us to be able to make it to heaven. And that is by confessing to God that you are a sinner and that you believe that Jesus died for your sins. But the journey does not end there! we must pray and study Gods word daily to grow a a Christian and to be open to what Gods plan for us as an individual is. As Christians we all have a different role to play as one of Gods children. That is why so many non believers point out that we are two faced and backsliders! We will not all be as some call us "Bible thumpers" some are called to that, others are called to a different role by God. You and you alone know what your relationship is with God! and know one can tell you what your role is, but God himself!!! And one more thing!!!! Being a Christian does NOT mean we are, or you will be PERFECT!!! We will still sin till the day we die! Being a Christian simply means that you have accepted Jesus as your savior and that you are a member of Gods family! So in closing do not let the perceived failings of other Christians taint your relationship with God! Each of us are responsible for our own relationship with God! The Bible says what means and means what it says, but YOU have to read it and pray!

It is not the message that is the problem. the problem lies with man who is weak. Now don't get me wrong, I am weak also, but my strength comes from Jesus not myself.

But you have still the Holy Bible, Jesus, there are many Christians who are too looking for a good Church or Mission. The created by Jesus Church is still alive, the Apostasy has been predicted, you should know it. Many clergy will go to Hell, they know it, but you, if you want, could be saved, you should begin to study the Holy Bible and to pray to Jesus for Help. The Holy Spirit will lead you to the Truth.

Well there's a stupid reason to stay in an organization, which you no longer care about.

I still take my oaths before God seriously.

Why bother?
Don't. Follow what you feel is right, which is obviously not the church. Shit-can the dumb shit, you don't need a church to pray, and read religious texts. Christianity is a religion where the actions of the heart and mind are most important, and I don't recall Jesus ever saying that you had to go to church every Sunday, to pay homage to a guy wearing a fancy dress, and a creepy statue of a mangled, dead Jesus.

There's other religions too, or you could join us.

I will stay in my church because of social reasons, to not upset my family and because I do not think anything better is out there.

Everything man touches he corrupts, even the Body of Christ.

So because others fail to live the truth, that means you should ignore it too?

Either Jesus is the Christ or He is a fraud. There is only one way to find out. And that is by going to the Father and learning from Him like Peter did. If you think God is going to excuse you for not believing the truth because others didn't, then you've missed the point of the Gospel and of our personal accountability before God.

I do obey the plain Truth from the Bible andmy own conscience, but I will no longer acept anything as true simply because some clergy say it is.

That is not the same thing as rejecting Gods Truth.

And it isnt that these people are weak that makes me so disgusted, it is the fact that they are playing us all for fools, laughing about what we confess to them among each other while the do drugs and whatever perverted sex that gets them off.

I am sick of it. They can all fade away for all I care.

I know. I have met a few, but they are always the lesser men in the organization, lone voices calling out in the wilderness so to speak while the Bakkers, the Swaggerts etc make money hand over fist and laugh at the rubes that fill their pews.

Sometimes it can be the members that work at living genuine lives who can make all the difference for a failing congregation and perhaps the man of God behind your church's pulpit merely needs to see he isn't fighting the battles alone... to a deaf mass... to a mass that does not share his vision. Perhaps you should approach him and be direct about your concerns. All too often... this kind of thing causes great division and provokes many devoted Christians to loose fellowship that both they are dependent upon and that is dependent upon them. *hearts*

Forum List

Back