Why I Dont Take Christianity Seriously Any More

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JimBowie1958, Oct 2, 2011.

1. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,476
    It's essentially because the clergy in Christianity do not take their own message seriously themselves.

By 'seriously' I mean being willing to go against the main stream and mean it. Plenty of clergy make a showing of believing their core doctrines, etc, but in private tell a different story. It is plain enough when you observe the kind of members they surround themselves with. If their inner circle actually is known for making hard sacrifices to do what is right, then kudos to them, but they are the exception these days.

I remember when I was growing up how Baptists would debate whether it was a sin for a woman to wear pants. The more moderate preachers would say that men wearing pants was merely a social convention and it would not affect a persons eternal destiny, while others argued that it was a sin for a woman to dress like a man. Historically, Joan of Arc was burned at the stake for doing this, but it seems we have mellowed quite a bit since then.

But when I discussed the subject with moderates, they really didnt seem to have a convincing argument. They spoke mostly of the absurdity, how women are being treated unfair, etc, but not much reference to the Bible.

The ones that wanted such behavior banned and damned as sin made the ole slippery slope argument; now its wearing pants, but in the future it wil be the difference between men and women altogether!

And looking back it would seem that they are right. I have had many ocasions where I heard clergy talking amongst themselves in a fairly honest way, and it was trying to my soul to hear the blasphemy, the slander and the vile wretchedness that would pour from the mouths of these men when they spoke on the assumption that none of it would ever get out.

When I converted to Catholicism, I found I loved the concepts, the system of theology and the deep history that went along with Catholicism. But the church'es lay leadership has on way too many ocasions proven to me that it has no respect for the actual teachings of the church, and is totally over-run with people who pretend to follow the church but do not.

I have seen it in religious retreats, with the admins to Catholic message boards, with Jesuit priests, etc. The hypocrisy is just over-whelming to the point I just cant stand going to mass any more, knowing that the vast majority of the people sitting in the pews with me are using contraceptives, skipping confession and are living in open premarital relationships and no one says a thing.

So why should I give a flip if the priests themselves dont? if the priests are just as happy to surround themselves with the most audacious fakers in the parish?

I cannot leave the church. I made an oath and I will keep it.

But as to the fate of the church, or what might befall it in the near future...I really could not care less any more.

I dont hate the church; I still love it in the abstract. But as to the leadership of the church, I will not do one thing to conform to what they teach any more, period unless they start enforcing their own rules.

The same goes for any other denomination of Christianity as well.

Why bother?

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    Because it's true. What other reason is there?

3. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,476
    If it is true then why dont the clergy behave as if it were true?

If it is true then why dont the parish councils and admin behave as if it were true?

If it is true, then why do Christian leaders draw the frauds and conmen to them instead of those seeking Truth?

If it is true then why are there so many frauds in leadership positions in organized Christianity?

I think the underlying facts of Christianity are sound, but I am beginning to think that beyond the most basic moral claims there is nothing but someone's opinion and thousands of others who will turn that opinion into 'law'.

I'm done fighting that fight. I will speak for me and nobody else here on out.

4. Wumplestiltskin

Wumplestiltskin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The problem with all religeons is they demand you force your beliefs on others.

5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    No, they don't. But please don't let facts get in the way of your stupidity.

6. Ropey

Ropey To Life! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,987
    I take it seriously. Everybody else in this world has their choice not to though. That's the beauty of free will.

7. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    Often feel similarly. I love Jesus; it's those damn "Christians" I can't stand! :eusa_pray:

8. Lokiate

Lokiate Super Beast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Well there's a stupid reason to stay in an organization, which you no longer care about.

Don't. Follow what you feel is right, which is obviously not the church. Shit-can the dumb shit, you don't need a church to pray, and read religious texts. Christianity is a religion where the actions of the heart and mind are most important, and I don't recall Jesus ever saying that you had to go to church every Sunday, to pay homage to a guy wearing a fancy dress, and a creepy statue of a mangled, dead Jesus.

There's other religions too, or you could join us.

9. MarcATL

MarcATL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,747
    My brother, I implore you to find a church that teaches, preaches and lives according to the Word of God. If you belong to a church that is not, then it's not a church you should belong to (that was kinda weird wording). Anyway, your very soul depends on it.

10. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    The BeJebuss wore a dress.

Just sayin....:eusa_whistle: